Tips for a rookie? (first year of in Corps)

Hi to all the Drum Corps fans and current members!

Some Facts about me:

I'm new to Drum Corps and this will be my first year marching a World Class Corps and I have to say that I'm extremely excited for this upcoming season.

I've been going to camps and have been working on my visual technique but I have a couple issues that may present a small challenge for me...

Getting to the point:

I have been in HS Marching Band for 4 years but nothing has been as close to the intensity of Drum Corps ....and well I have A.D.D. and I'm not very Bodily Kinesthetically intelligent

Let me put that into english

I have a hard time focusing at times and can get easily distracted, and I'm not as athletic as I would like to be (I am good musician though, at least I have that going for me) I've noticed at camps that I've been picked out by the visual staff as one of the guys who tends to need more help than others getting the technique down

So to all those vets out there, is it possible I could get some suggestions or help with this?

Edited by BrassFan17

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk to the vets of your corps. You can trust them, and they will be happy to help. They're not as big and scary as they may seem. Also, they can give you more help, and provide more support face-to-face than anyone on here can. No matter how qualified some people on here may be, they cannot be next to you giving you pointers, or evaluating your issues. Don't forget that if you go to the vets for help, they will see your commitment to the corps, and to getting better!

Log out and don't look back at DCP until your season is over... You will have more then enough time to talk Drum Corps when you march...

You seek advice...? Look to the vets of your home team...

Do not post any information about your season on DCP... Chances are your director has already told you this.. If not, the vets surely will.

Last, have fun and best of luck. Many of my best friends today, are directly connected to the years I marched in drum corps 25 years ago. (25 years ago... really?)

WEAR LOTS OF SUNBLOCK..... you only get your youth once... and this will help you hold onto it.

Dave :worthy:

Edited by Cop

As previously stated, don't be afraid to go to the vets in the corps, or even staff if you have found someone you trust. On the medical forms you could probably write down that you have A.D.D. You might actually be surprised to find that there are a handful of students in your corps and corps all around with A.D.D. Some people have found ways to channel that into their music, or whatever activities catch their interest. You've probably figured out/or will figure it in time that what you are most passionate about is the easiest thing to concentrate on. With or without medication (if you take any). Just think of it as people with A.D.D. are not limited to daily education through drum corps or anything of the sort, just being a creative individual. There's probably a number of educators, music majors, whatever you can think of and people go into those fields or work in that area with A.D.D. and there's no hold backs. Some people cant even tell.

Maybe this can be a little bit of an inspiration or cheer-er upper

There's been plenty of famous people with A.D.D. and not only were they famous, but they were very successful and many would like to acknowledge A.D.D. as part of the reasoning.

Whoopie Goldberg, Robin Williams, Alexander Graham Bell, Beethoven, Jim Carey, Cher (she's a singer/actress), Tom Cruise, Bill Cosby, Leonardo Da Vinci, Thomas Edison, Walt Disney, Albert Einstein, Handel, Abraham Lincoln, Michael Jordan, Mozart, Steven Spielberg, and Stevie Wonder are probably more well-known.

Don't let the fact that you have A.D.D. effect anything, look at the people in the list above, and look at what they accomplished, or are doing even to this day. Amazing things, that they are passionate about. Yeah Drum Corps is tough at first, and maybe you lose focus, but don't let it bring you down. Corps is an awesome experience, even with A.D.D. and it is totally possible. If you are passionate about this, you'll figure out how to focus and put everything you have into it. As soon as it clicks and you're like BAM dead on, focused and staff is like dang. Well, then it's totally worth it, and you won't be bothered by it. It's totally possible, just push through the rough spots, and it will get better. Don't think the staff is out to get you, they are not, they just call it as they see it sometimes. They are there to help you, and they want to make sure you are getting everything out of this opportunity that you possibly can.

Best of luck this summer!

Amanda Chuboff

Pioneer Baritone/Section Leader 2009, 2010

Start working out and running a lot RIGHT NOW! and move ins will be sooooo much easier for you. and if you can make it through move-ins, you're set.

Every time your field commander claps you in at the start of your show, you clap on the off beat...... he or she will love it! :worthy:

Ok seriously now.... You have nothing to prove, you got in because of your ability not because you have A.A.D...... ENJOY IT!

And if anyone gives you a hard time about it, #### in their coffee when they're not looking! :sad:

I have no tour advice, but plenty of DCP advice.

If you are the first one to reply to a thread, the topic is stupid, the corps is stupid, or if it is a recording, the recording is terrible. However, if you get beaten to the punch, you attack them for their terrible lack of respect and their negative spirit.