KILTIES play on all Gs.

The G sound is a bit raw compared to the Bbs but its a bigger and more traditional sound.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everything but contras Gene,.................they are Dynasty Super Mags,...................Kanstul contras are very hard to come by,..........

You are, of course, referring to Empire's Bb contra line............we at 'Gades still march all G contras :)

I still love the look on kids face when they walk in cold and pick up a G horn and play. Their first reaction is priceless. They always have been, and always will be the one major distinction between band and corps.

Now that said, I like a line in Bb as long as they are a large bore horn that you can put air through and peel paint. Could you imagine a complete soprano line on Wild Things or Callet "Jazz" horns? Second best to those would be Kanstul Coliseum horns. I guarantee they would be just as powerful as a G line when cut loose.

Just for the record, SoCal Dream has a mix of Kanstul, Dynasty and DEG's throught the hornline. Unfortunately no one section seems to have all the same make except mellos(Kanstul). Only money would solve that problem.

I believe Empire shared the trophy with Bucs in 07, and won outright in 08.

I believe they became legal in 03?

Not sure about 03 or 04 who won the caption

Bucs in 05 - Bb's

Bush in 06 - Bb's

Empire/Bucs in 07 - G/Bbs

Empire in 08 - G's

Bucs in 09 - Bbs

Yeppers,,now that you mention it it was 08

The key of the trumpet of course had very little to do with Empire's brass caption win. They would have won brass playing trumpets keyed in Db. Bottom line is, the difference in volume and projection with a G line is more than offset by the gains in Tone, Quality and Intonation of the all Bb line.

The fact that the instrument is pitched in G does not change its ability to sound louder. The G bugles have larger bores than the Bb's and therefore you can put a signifcantly greater amount of air in the instrument.

The fact that the instrument is pitched in G does not change its ability to sound louder. The G bugles have larger bores than the Bb's and therefore you can put a signifcantly greater amount of air in the instrument.

Which in terms makes it louder! :thumbup:

Bottom line (IMHO)....skill/talent/dedication of the performers and quality of instruction is what makes a nice brass line; not the key of any particular instrument. Simple fact is the mouthpiece is actually the instrument, the horns are the amplifiers.

You are, of course, referring to Empire's Bb contra line............we at 'Gades still march all G contras :)

I'm positive that we march G contras.

and they weigh 100000000000x more than the new Bb's corps use now.

I'm positive that we march G contras.

and they weigh 100000000000x more than the new Bb's corps use now.

It would not be a contra without the extra weight :thumbup::worthy: :worthy: