KILTIES play on all Gs.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right Donny! So far there are practically zero "Kilties' IN THIS "kilties titled thread"! :tongue:

All "G" s, but no G strings beneath those Kilts, lassie!

I play both, I teach both, I write for both...I like playing both, but through time would rather play trumpet.

I will bet that I can get equally as loud as both. Measure anyway you way you want and prove I am wrong.

Volume is not the big issue....projection is the difference at distances. G's have more edge than Bb/F brass, and the sound is able to carry farther in distance.

Kilties sound good on G's, as do the aforementioned others...Bucs sound good on Bb's as do many others.

Has it given the Kilties an advantage...according to the score sheets probably not.

Can a given corps with tremendous talent and great staff still win brass trophies and take 1st place...yes. (IN DCA)

DA

It is still called "Drum and Bugle Corps" not Drum and trumpet corps so far.

This is a point I failed to add to my last comment. Part of the reason G lines from the 90's and before are louder is simply that we were trained to play louder and standards for intonation and tuning simply werent the same as today. Compared to our own peers there wasnt an appreciable difference apart from volume but compare one of those lines to today and its obvious that todays players are simply trained differently, mainly in how to not overblow. So I will refine my earlier claim about Gs being louder to have the qualifier that part of that was simply in how we played the horns, although I still believe the G lies are louder at the end of the day all things being equal.

It is still called "Drum and Bugle Corps" not Drum and trumpet corps so far.

The assimilation is almost complete

This is a point I failed to add to my last comment. Part of the reason G lines from the 90's and before are louder is simply that we were trained to play louder and standards for intonation and tuning simply werent the same as today. Compared to our own peers there wasnt an appreciable difference apart from volume but compare one of those lines to today and its obvious that todays players are simply trained differently, mainly in how to not overblow. So I will refine my earlier claim about Gs being louder to have the qualifier that part of that was simply in how we played the horns, although I still believe the G lies are louder at the end of the day all things being equal.

I still maintain that the shape of the G horn .....conical...similar in structure to a megaphone...appers to be louder only by its ability to Broadcast better than the trumpet. :tongue: Just sayin.......

you said broadcast....

• 2 weeks later...

I like the sound of a G line. Take for example lets say Devils. Take last years show and then go back and listen to 85. There is a difference. I think I would take 85 over 2009 for a quality of sound. Or should I say a Drum Corps sound.