DCI 2009 Finals on Blu-Ray

Yes, but just like you need a DVD drive to play a DVD on your computer, you also need a Blu Ray drive to play Blu Rays on your computer.

Internal and external blu ray drives are getting cheaper...

Hmmm, I may have to order that then. I tend to like watching Drum corps on my laptop with my bose computer speakers more than I like watching it on my TV.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me an idiot, I don't care, but can you play Blue ray disks inside a laptop computer?

Yes, if your laptop has a Blue ray drive and you have the appropriate playback software.

I am quite ready for mine to arrive in the mail... hopefully today, that would be a nice start to the week

There are two types of compression. One refers to the data rate/size and the other refers to the dynamic range of the program material. Yes, all commercial DVD's use compressed audio in the form of either Dolby Digital or DTS in order to physically fit on the disc. However dynamic compression is used during the mix and is unrelated to data compression. The Blue Ray discs that Tom mixed (correct me if I'm wrong) uses data rate compression but no (or very little) dynamic compression.

DTS-HD Master Audio uses lossless compression, Dolby Digital uses lossy compression.

Hmmm, I may have to order that then. I tend to like watching Drum corps on my laptop with my bose computer speakers more than I like watching it on my TV.

One of these days I'm going to invite you over to listen to Tom's masterpiece on a pair of Maggie 3.6s with Bryston 4B's and 3B's bridged to drive the tweeters and woofers separately. There is no finer experience and the sound will absolutely blow your mind. This is the first time, ever, that drum corps coding has matched the frequency range of the Maggies and they just open up and breath. To experience the DEPTH of the sound-field, from the front sidelines to the back, as well as to hear the inner voices to the point of identifying mallets hitting keys, bass drum mallets hitting heads and even valves clicking in frontline horns... and I have 50 year old ears! Stunning work, Tom, really stunning.

I've said it here before: nothing, and certainly not Bose computer speakers, can reproduce live acoustic sound like drum corps as well as a pair of Magnepans.

You want to really hear how you sounded in 2000? :laughing: I'll pop the popcorn...

One of these days I'm going to invite you over to listen to Tom's masterpiece on a pair of Maggie 3.6s with Bryston 4B's and 3B's bridged to drive the tweeters and woofers separately. There is no finer experience and the sound will absolutely blow your mind. This is the first time, ever, that drum corps coding has matched the frequency range of the Maggies and they just open up and breath. To experience the DEPTH of the sound-field, from the front sidelines to the back, as well as to hear the inner voices to the point of identifying mallets hitting keys, bass drum mallets hitting heads and even valves clicking in frontline horns... and I have 50 year old ears! Stunning work, Tom, really stunning.

I've said it here before: nothing, and certainly not Bose computer speakers, can reproduce live acoustic sound like drum corps as well as a pair of Magnepans.

You want to really hear how you sounded in 2000? :laughing: I'll pop the popcorn...

How about listening to it on five Dunalvy SC-V's and two Dunlavy TSW-VI tower subwoofers powered by 6 Bryston 28BSST amps and 2 California Audio Labs amps(1000 watts a piece) driving the subs?

How about listening to it on five Dunalvy SC-V's and two Dunlavy TSW-VI tower subwoofers powered by 6 Bryston 28BSST amps and 2 California Audio Labs amps(1000 watts a piece) driving the subs?

Wait...let me buy some electric utility stock before you turn on all those Brystons. :laughing:

I'd love to have the power but I'd have to buy the big Maggies. The Calis are OK, but...meh.

You'll never get out of any box speaker the shear air movement of a planar, and it's that rush of sound you get sitting on the 50, row 20. The ribbon tweeter is far, far superior to cones in hearing the sopranos and snares. The Maggie's low end is sharper and more articulate than any bouncing cone cane be - no sub needed especially for Tom's incredible production of 2009.

Back in the old days I had a Sony preamp that would let me select the seat and row where I wanted to sit in the stadium and it would then produce the sound phase. I could set it up to "sit" down front on the 40 for the Cadets 2000 tenor solo and it was just like being there (unfortunately it was kind of quiet when they went back out onto the field!).

Granted, I can't carry the Maggies around and hear them while sitting in an airport. :laughing: