Has the view of 'Senior' Corps changed lately in DCI?

It's something I'd definitely be interested in, if there were any in my area.

I'm from Indy and march with the Cincinnati Tradition, email me if you're interested in attending a rehearsal. If you have time visit the Cincinnati Tradition web site http://www.cincinnatitradition.org/Home.htm

Regards, Gary

gmclucas@sbcglobal.net

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhode Island is bigger than Texas. Twice as many words, and over double the number of letters. :tongue:

Both DCI and DCA have a number of corps that have returned from hiatus. More importantly, both Brigs and Cru are veterans of that process. And it wasn't just the '90s Brigadiers returning after nearly two decades of inactivity, either....the 1962 corps took a one-year break from field competition. Still had a corps, even performed a full field show in exhibition. They went back into the fray in '63 like nothing had ever been amiss.

Hi Ken...

hmmmm while I agree with your point... I'm racking my brain trying to remember an exhibition in 1962 by the Brigadiers... I was with Gauchos and big brother, when brigs announced they were taking a year off, went to Cru....

The return of brigs was sparked in the fall of 1962 by the return from military service of Corky Fabrizio and his taking over the horn line from Brad Longdo who during the hiatas committed to the Gauchos... good stuff started when Corky took over, but for the life of me, I don't remember the ability to make a formal exhibition the summer of 1962... guess I better ask my big Bro'

Key writes for Bush, including 2 original shows. In 2008, he came to finals to watch us, and I am almost positive he did last year as well. I believe he also writes for the Renegades.

Jay Bocook writes for the Buccaneers.

And Gino was hanging on the railing at DCA this past year to hear HIS exquisitely trained ensemble perform the show of their lives. The fact that Statesmen and Minnesota nipped them on the Ensemble sheet tells you that DCA is more than one-corps deep in terms of true quality. When you add to this the Renegades putting on what I call their annual "attack-release clinic" (man is it exposed...man is it fun to listen to) and the Cabs perhaps putting out more volume than all of them, the only conclusion you can draw is that DCA is a circuit that requires excellence in order to merit championship consideration.

This has been a fun thread to participate in :)

DCI performers enjoy themselves or they wouldn't be marching.

Absolutely. This is why blanket statements of value get us into trouble. A member's furrowed brow on an 80 degree day on the practice field in Jeffersonville, IN doing 3 pages of drill changes before taking a cold shower and dressing on a bus where the A/C is broken does not necessarily equate to that person having a bad time!

This sounds like the time of my life :)

hmmmm while I agree with your point... I'm racking my brain trying to remember an exhibition in 1962 by the Brigadiers... I was with Gauchos and big brother, when brigs announced they were taking a year off, went to Cru....

The return of brigs was sparked in the fall of 1962 by the return from military service of Corky Fabrizio and his taking over the horn line from Brad Longdo who during the hiatas committed to the Gauchos... good stuff started when Corky took over, but for the life of me, I don't remember the ability to make a formal exhibition the summer of 1962... guess I better ask my big Bro'

I didn't know about it myself until going through Dave Valvo's recordings. Took place at the later-season Syracuse show (September 2, 1962). It is clear from the stereo recording that they were doing drill.

(In best Comic Book Man voice) Well actually..... Star's 91' show was composed of selections from Pines of Rome (Pines of the Villa Borghese, Pines near a Catacomb) and Roman Festivals (Circuses, The Epiphany). The Pines of the Appian Way appears in motif form as well.

Please go back and read my additional post. I forgot to put the actual song, because I did know they played the first movement.

Sorry.

The ONLY thing drum corps has in common with hockey........ is that sometimes when I'm running the clock and playing music at one of my sons' hockey games.....I slip in some drum corps music! Oh, the looks....

I bow to you, sir.

Hey, we should all expose the "muggles" (non drum corps folk) to the activity any way we can, right?

In closing: Bridgemen 78 ROCKED THE HOUSE!

I can certainly uderstand why your DCA Corps placed at or near of bottom in 2006. They had poor technique, apparently very bad instructors fostering poor brass playing techniques, poor visuals, little demand and complexity in the routine, extremely bad chemistry issues within the Corps ranks of this Corps, little determination to impove scores and placements, poor work habits, lack of discipline, angry, stubborn people, and so forth. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, in whatever Corps ( or any other sports team activity as wel ) one could think of. That Corps was clearly " a loser " from the getgo, and got the placements it deserved. Sorry to hear you wasted your time and money in 2006. No hard working disciplined competitor wants to be a part of Dud Corps...... at ANY level.

You hit the nail on the head, sir! Either way, DCI has proven to be much more fulfilling and overall, just more fun! But again, that's my personal opinion

OTOH, 30% of the DCA finalists from 2000 are not competing in 2010, while 100% of the DCI World class finalists are still competing.

If you go back 20 years, to 1990, 25% of the DCI finalists are gone, while 40% of the DCA corps no longer compete.

I think it's great that there are all-age corps springing up around the country, but not having the Skyliners, Brigs and Crusaders on the competition field, and the Sunrisers struggling to an 8th place 'A' class finish, darkens the picture a bit. DCA needs a strong core area in the Northeast, IMO to provide a strong foundation.

there is more to each circuit than just finalists tho. and for both circuits, in this economic crunch, any corps lost, finalist or not is an issue

I bow to you, sir.

Hey, we should all expose the "muggles" (non drum corps folk) to the activity any way we can, right?

In closing: Bridgemen 78 ROCKED THE HOUSE!

Heck...if he REALLY wants to shake things up, he should put on the opening few bars of 96 BD!