Has the view of 'Senior' Corps changed lately in DCI?

Are those current stats? or last years stats? Because there is a noticeable difference. i.e. There are corps from Rochester, not making it TO Rochester this year. Also factor in number of corps per state, versus number of DCA corps per state. My state has close to 12 corps. Only 1 of which was DCA (prelims competitor / and finalist) last year. 3 of which were DCI. 6 of which are Shriners, Most of which (or a good percentage / > 25% ) performed at DCA (like) shows last year. (you may now enter the field for judged exhibition).

Some of the best hornlines I've played in were DCA hornlines. Whether or not they played on par with my seasoned DCI corps WHILE marching, debatable. But they were both good hornlines. DCA corps participation can draw on you. Especially if it's not convenient. That 7 hour drive (and $30+ in gas) every weekend for the 3 primary months of competition can draw you down hard. To the point that you're debating whether to go to camp this weekend, or wake up monday with your $100 still in your pocket. I know, not fair to your corps, but plenty fair to you. It's a hard choice and a conscious choice in all-age, as there's always NEXT year. Unlike DCI, where this is it, do or don't.

.... some wise crack about performing on horse tracks, soccer fields, baseball fields, hockey stadiums, ...... ... WHAT? They still make football fields? How come I've never seen one?

I just looked off of the DCA website. Yes not all corps are going to finals this year but I still counted them because they are still around, just not all are competative this year. The show stats are for this year.

Edited by skeptic

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just as there are DCI corps not coming out this year.

to many people, if you don't go out to finals, then it's worthless....and that is why often times their corps fails.

You hit the nail on the head, sir! Either way, DCI has proven to be much more fulfilling and overall, just more fun! But again, that's my personal opinion

...and based on a personal experience in one corps.

It's weird to hear what "DCI" did, as if it was an institutionalized result.

to many people, if you don't go out to finals, then it's worthless....and that is why often times their corps fails.

Newmarket Ambassadors were a powerhouse group of Canadians. Huge. Good. No DCI in 1984...everybody left :(

Long Island Grenadiers...same. BIG. GOOD. No DCI? No corps.

Pacific Northwest (all of them)...same

Quebec (all of them)....same

When the locals were strong (DCE, DCM, FAMQ, ODCA, NY-Penn, DCNY, E-Mass, DCW) drum corps was strong. States and Regionals (US Open, World Open, Butler, DATR, DCI-Canada) were a big deal.

Now?

Not so much.

I don’t think I have a very accurate view of DCA but I don’t have a negative one either. Way back when , I did see some east coast DCA shows but recently, I’ve only seen the Kilties open up other shows. I did try to talk some folks into joining the Kilties with me, we all enjoyed them on the field but when it came down to it, it was just too much time to commit....so mad props to all those that do make the time. I don’t know how you do it and maintain a real life

I'm considering a trip to DCA finals this year as an alternative to the usual plus I need to go look at some family graves there that I haven’t visited since DCI was in Buffalo

And that's no different from any other year...especially in the 70s'-80's....too many corps toured themselves into oblivion seeing the Holy Grail of marching at DCI.

I just looked off of the DCA website. Yes not all corps are going to finals this year but I still counted them because they are still around, just not all are competative this year. The show stats are for this year.

That's fine and all, but if you're not competitive, then doesn't your season end before labor day? IF you even consider there to be a season when there's no scores involved.

Meanwhile here we are at almost MAY and I bet we still DON'T KNOW who will be competitive or NOT "this" year in/at DCA. Talking strictly of getting scores, not placements from scores. About all that we can be certain of this year is that there will be fewer competitive corps at DCA prelims. And no matter how you crunch the numbers, that's NOT growth.

Where DCI's lineup is a bit more certain. You could probably predict the top 6 and not be off by more than two placements for any one corps. Even without seeing a single show or having a single score from this season. Quite impressive for a circuit that has a 100% turnover in marching members every three to ten years. Arguably every year with current costs.

That's fine and all, but if you're not competitive, then doesn't your season end before labor day?

Uhhhh...SoCal Dream was very competitive in 2003 and 2005 when we didn't go to DCA and our season ended in July....

Don't equate being competitive with the necessity of going to DCA.

Same issues, different forum for Shadow.

Edited by Kyle B

That's fine and all, but if you're not competitive, then doesn't your season end before labor day?

If you're not competitive, your season ends when you want it to, or not at all. You're not beholden to anyone's timetable but your own, and there are thousands of performance opportunities all year.