Has the view of 'Senior' Corps changed lately in DCI?

THERE IS MORE TO DRUM CORPS THAN GETTING A SCORE.

Yes, this is true... but the notion that I might some day get lucky with that brown eyed brunette in Flag Section was always in the background, truth be told.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...0124&st=870

This is the link from the live Championships last year.

not really ever having had any exposure to senior corps, i went back and watched every single one of these clips. i have to be brutally honest here - i thought that the performance levels were generally much lower than i had expected after reading many of the replies in this thread.

there were many bad sounds, and i don't mean "bad when compared to the blue devils," i mean uncharacteristic sounds all over the place. every group had ensemble problems (balance and/or timing), and overall i thought the product was not good.

i think the main issue is that many of these groups were trying to *be* junior corps. this is something that just isn't going to happen. one corps (i can't recall which, but they were in blue) had a move where the tubas were jazz running to their left, which is probably one of the most difficult, nuanced things that can be attempted in all of marching. obviously, this kind of thing was not achieved. one wonders why it was even attempted.

i guess my point is that i was spoiled by my junior corps experience. it would be *really* hard to perform in a group with such fundamental issues that there simply isn't time to fix before the end of the season.

take that for what it's worth -- just an opinion.

One is an apple, and the other is an orange. Both are fruit, but they're not the same.

If you have had an apple, and have enjoyed the apple, and are devoted to the apple, you won't enjoy the orange -- that is, if you're looking at the orange expecting it to be an apple.

If you, by your own admission, are 'spoiled' by your DCI experience and you would struggle to enjoy the DCA experience because of some of the things you mentioned in your post, then you're right...it's not for you. Your opinion is valid and your honesty is refreshing, even if I disagree with the opinion. Better to not be at a DCA corps knowing this is your predisposition than to be there, expect it to be like DCI, and make life miserable for others around you because it's not like DCI and the quality is not what you have come to expect.

One is an apple, and the other is an orange. Both are fruit, but they're not the same.

If you have had an apple, and have enjoyed the apple, and are devoted to the apple, you won't enjoy the orange -- that is, if you're looking at the orange expecting it to be an apple.

If you, by your own admission, are 'spoiled' by your DCI experience and you would struggle to enjoy the DCA experience because of some of the things you mentioned in your post, then you're right...it's not for you. Your opinion is valid and your honesty is refreshing, even if I disagree with the opinion. Better to not be at a DCA corps knowing this is your predisposition than to be there, expect it to be like DCI, and make life miserable for others around you because it's not like DCI and the quality is not what you have come to expect.

I think that was partially his point. The apples are trying to be oranges when it's not possible. Exactly as you said.

I think that was partially his point. The apples are trying to be oranges when it's not possible. Exactly as you said.

That wasn't my point. If we're going to carry this fruit metaphor further...it's not that the apples are trying to be oranges. I would disagree completely with his assessment of the DCA performances. He's entitled to his opinions and I'm not begrudging them. Based on his comments, it seems to me he was looking at the DCA performances and measuring them against what he's come to know and love about DCI, which he's entitled to do. To me, the apple wasn't trying to be the orange. The apple was being an apple and he was evaluating it based on his experience as an orange...and based on that he didn't like the product. And that's his right...and by no means am I disparaging him looking at things that way. I think when you look at it that way, and you don't alter your perspective and have different expectations because it's a different product completely, you're going to be disappointed. I applaud him for describing his perspective and acknowledging that it would prevent him from really enjoying the DCA experience....and if that's the case, bravo to him for knowing that about himself before he jumped in and was disappointed - and complicated things for others in the process.

Sorry for the use of masculine pronouns if the poster is feminine (an apples and oranges thing, too, I guess!).

But that's not the current culture of drum corps for at least the junior corps, and hasn't been in a long time. If you're in a junior corps that is not going to Championships, you are probably going to have a hard time filling the ranks. We can argue what's better/worse as far as current/past drum corps models, but the fact is current and recently aged-out marching members have the culture of "we're going to finals."

and maybe therein is the problem.

how is it, me, a guy who has been around both circuits as far back as i can remember, can go to both and enjoy both for what they are, and not get hung on one being so technically superior over the other?

I did jr. corps because I liked it. I do all-age corps because I like it. I played tuba in college because I liked it. I played tuba in community bands because I liked it.

I never did any of these activities because I wanted to show that I could jazz run to my left while being blinded by 30lbs of brass, I do things like this because I like to do them. I typically don't even watch the shows that I'm at, because that's not the reason I march. For the most part, I'm indifferent to the competition aspect. I enjoy playing my G horn and marching drum corps. Since the rules say that I'm too old to march jr. corps anymore, I will continue doing the activity that I enjoy in whatever forum it is available.

I respect ya'lls opinions, but I think they are somewhat misguided when statements along the lines of us old guys just trying to imitate or relive jr. corps - I think we do this because we enjoy the activity. Look at the old guys in softball leagues and such...are they just trying to relive their HS/College days? Nope...they like to play softball/baseball, but they aren't in college or HS anymore. Same with the community bands - for the most part, that is the only opportunity for adults to continue playing an instrument, at least in an ensemble. Same with drum corps - if you want to keep playing after 21, you don't have too many choices other than going DCA.

I think it is kind of sad that so many people in the jr's get so burned out on doing this activity that they never want to do it again.

I did jr. corps because I liked it. I do all-age corps because I like it. I played tuba in college because I liked it. I played tuba in community bands because I liked it.

I never did any of these activities because I wanted to show that I could jazz run to my left while being blinded by 30lbs of brass, I do things like this because I like to do them. I typically don't even watch the shows that I'm at, because that's not the reason I march. For the most part, I'm indifferent to the competition aspect. I enjoy playing my G horn and marching drum corps. Since the rules say that I'm too old to march jr. corps anymore, I will continue doing the activity that I enjoy in whatever forum it is available.

I respect ya'lls opinions, but I think they are somewhat misguided when statements along the lines of us old guys just trying to imitate or relive jr. corps - I think we do this because we enjoy the activity. Look at the old guys in softball leagues and such...are they just trying to relive their HS/College days? Nope...they like to play softball/baseball, but they aren't in college or HS anymore. Same with the community bands - for the most part, that is the only opportunity for adults to continue playing an instrument, at least in an ensemble. Same with drum corps - if you want to keep playing after 21, you don't have too many choices other than going DCA.

I think it is kind of sad that so many people in the jr's get so burned out on doing this activity that they never want to do it again.

Like it. DCA is a family reunion every year..which is way cool. 2nd, third, fourth (yes) generations of marchers....tradition lives in DCA...so do some of the things fans pay good money and expect to see/hear. Tradition is so easily dismissed by others as "old school" (or worse), but precise and nuanced doesn't mean it translates to excitement or enthusiasm. On retreat, he average DCA fan (and that is 90% of the audience) comes to expect the rumps, Magnificent 7, Empire's color-pre/smoke/insanity fest and someone to play Elk's Parade. And when they get it they go berserk. The Caballeros alumni..and some are from the 60's and 70's and they play "off the line", "concert", drum solo and "exit"... got the loudest, most prolonged and vociferous ovation I have seen in 15 years (and easily comparable to the loudest/longest ever...Madison, 95; 27th, 94; SCV, 87; Madison, 88).

You can't fake enthusiasm.

No matter how many digs I see/hear about dca, the one thing that is certain is that people keep showing up and, call me crazy, have a pretty good time. I would challenge the person who watched some video's and drew conclusions based on some misplaced microphones to stand in front of Star United or Bucs or Renegades horn arc and see if they come away with the same opinion. Or Minnesota's drumline. Or Bushwackers or Hurcs colorguard. They are then welcome to share their opinions with those members and caption heads on the spot. :)

Like it. DCA is a family reunion every year..which is way cool. 2nd, third, fourth (yes) generations of marchers....tradition lives in DCA...so do some of the things fans pay good money and expect to see/hear. Tradition is so easily dismissed by others as "old school" (or worse), but precise and nuanced doesn't mean it translates to excitement or enthusiasm. On retreat, he average DCA fan (and that is 90% of the audience) comes to expect the rumps, Magnificent 7, Empire's color-pre/smoke/insanity fest and someone to play Elk's Parade. And when they get it they go berserk. The Caballeros alumni..and some are from the 60's and 70's and they play "off the line", "concert", drum solo and "exit"... got the loudest, most prolonged and vociferous ovation I have seen in 15 years (and easily comparable to the loudest/longest ever...Madison, 95; 27th, 94; SCV, 87; Madison, 88).

You can't fake enthusiasm.

No matter how many digs I see/hear about dca, the one thing that is certain is that people keep showing up and, call me crazy, have a pretty good time. I would challenge the person who watched some video's and drew conclusions based on some misplaced microphones to stand in front of Star United or Bucs or Renegades horn arc and see if they come away with the same opinion. Or Minnesota's drumline. Or Bushwackers or Hurcs colorguard. They are then welcome to share their opinions with those members and caption heads on the spot. :)

You forgot to mention Empire's hornline:)