If your kids were going to march

1) Air Force Academy Drum and Bugle Corps

2) US Naval Academy Drum and Bugle Corps

Both situations would allow the child to march, get a free 4 year college degree, have them exit out of college as a 2nd Lieut. military officer, get to travel, and provide them not only a guaranteed job at graduation, but a worthwhile career with job security, pension, early retirement. And provide them with a better, healthy environment for diversity than most employers, an opportunity to rise up the ranks based upon mostly merit rather than office politics or nepotism. AND the child would be of service to their country in an enriching way. It would take a special individual with great grades, leadership qualities demonstrated at the high school level, plus the appropriate personality traits. But if the child was predisposed to such a choice thru ability, aptitude and of course interest, then either Corps above could be a perfect match for doing Drum Corps AND college.

If this was Facebook I would "like" it

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had plenty of fun, but when you put on that uniform and are in public play time is over and it is time for your game face. The good news about that is that being a part of that kind of tradition is really fun in and of itself and you can still have fun while you've got your game face on. We hyped on that kind of stuff. We loved acting the part of The Cadets because when we were at shows as fans or members of other corps and we saw the Cadets that is what we saw and wanted to be a part of.

Thank you for writing this. There are reasons for the "military bearing" that go beyond what the public sees. I'm glad you hype on it. It's good stuff!

I don't and won't have any children of my own (the World heaves a collective sigh of relief), but I currently have a niece and instruct 125 others during the week.

You have 125 other nieces?? Man....family reunions must be awesome! :tongue:

Well, if you were young and had 125 neices, woudn't you think twice about having offspring too ?

Edited by BRASSO

Blue Devils C Younger. but still fun

Blue Devils B Young, and professional

Blue Devils I think that they lead in titles won.

Renegades: Really like their sound for later in life.

/me sarcasm on

Reading comprehension skills...FAIL.
:blush:

maybe if i were to have used the word "teach" instead of instruct that might have helped...or not.

/me sarcasm off

one niece.

125 students in 5 classes.

make sense now? :P

I think more people picked Pioneer then Blue Devils.

I was confused at first too... but then I remembered the thread is about kids marching... not men and women :tongue:

I know exactly what you mean about the serious blank military stare-- as in how the Cadets conduct themselves while in uniform. I understand your feelings. I just think the whole Drumcorps activity has moved pretty far away from its military roots. After admiring the Cadets' military bearing for years, now I kind of think they look like they never have any fun....?? But I love the military look too. And I can tell you from personal experience, the kids at Crown are VERY serious. They just have a great time while working their butts off!! I'm sure if the staff asked them to comport themselves differently-- as in having "military bearing" they would do so..... So I guess it trickles down from the top.

I don't understand this statement. Just because the Cadets look serious in uniform means they look like they have fun? I marched Cadets AND am in the military and I can assure you ma'am, I had LOTS of fun marching Cadets and I have LOTS of fun in the military. When you have a job to do, you HAVE to be serious about it. That doesn't mean you don't have any fun.

wow, how unbelievably typical.

Sorry, I haven't been on dcp in a while... I forgot how sensitive it is in here.