A Drum Corps Blind Spot

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My legs are as thin and my chest as flat as a runway model...but that's about where the similarities end.

I actually had a couple more paragraphs that I deleted because of length that dealt with the importance of building one's character internally first. Just so you know...I really do believe that what's inside is what matters the most. In fact, I would make an argument that what's inside usually works it way outside. But...that's for another day.

Be careful Granny,.. that thing that's in your insides, working it's way outside, could be your gall bladder acting up again. Try a snigger of bourbon, sugar, and a saltine cracker before you take your nap. That'll either calm it down, or at least make you feel better.

Granny,

In keeping with the first impressions, best foot forward in all that you do, etc. portions of this thread. Would you say that it is time for the Troopers to get a new souvie rig?

My short answer is: Yes.

My long answer is: I would love to see them retain the same general trailer, but with some modern touches and a bit more "polish."

I am a HUGE advocate of the Troopers et. al retaining their identity. It's a topic that's been kicked many times, but I am not a fan of the amalgamation of styles. I think corps should embrace being distinct from other corps with fervor. But...that's a big ole' can of worms--at least a 10 pager.

umm.. maybe because finals is a "celebration" of the end of the season and people typically wear different attire to a "celebration"? Besides I still see some staff people walk out at finals in the same clothes they wore all season. They aren't performing or even officially acknowledged.

I still stand by my claim that almost no one looks at or notices them at a show. The two exceptions I can think of : (a) you're an insider looking for friends and acquaintances (b) you already think the staff should dress better so you look at them fuel your outrage.

you're wrong Mike. I have been hearing people crack on staffs and how they look at shows big and small for years now, locally and abroad. The funny thing is, it's the bigger name corps that get the most remarks

you're wrong Mike. I have been hearing people crack on staffs and how they look at shows big and small for years now, locally and abroad. The funny thing is, it's the bigger name corps that get the most remarks

well i did say almost no one.

well i did say almost no one.

oh and for those asking for specifics...pick a corps that has been in the top 8 for the last several years. it applies to each and everyone of them at some point.

oh and for those asking for specifics...pick a corps that has been in the top 8 for the last several years. it applies to each and everyone of them at some point.

None of " the top 8 Corps for the last several years " have been impacted at all by the attire worn by staff at practices, or seen along the stadium track for the few minutes their Corps is in performance.

I've seen worse attire in the stands and at INT for heavens sake.

Anybody that's watchng and commenting aloud so others around them can hear their comment at shows re. the attire that some staff are wearing when Corps are in performance or are about to perform, I'd politely tell them when they stood up after a performance that their flys open.

Since 1972, Corps staffs have pretty much dressed the same way while going from town to town on summer tours. Shorts, t shirts, sneakers or sandals. Maybe the hair was longer back then, but that's it. No problems. Nobody said a thing. Not an issue.

There is apparently a new fan base evolving here with DCI, that I was not quite aware of up to this time.. One where Corps staff fashion is important to them when these fans go to the shows now. Frankly, up to now I've never heard a single fan at the shows I've gone too, believe that in DCI. " the top 8 Corps " have had a recent problem with the personal hygiene and clothing worn by their staff. But we learn something new every day. I still believe that if the kids in DCI " top 8 Corps " ( and their staffs ) read this thread about alleged audible comments re. staff clothing choices at recent shows, they'd get a chuckle on the entire silliness of this recent emergence of the fashion police among some in this new " evolving " DCI fan base.

Edited by BRASSO

Should a corps have a standad for appearence..sure,, to the degree you think HELL NO !!!!!!!!

To the degree I think? What's that? I haven't suggested any degree or any specifics except about the instructor instructing in what might have been his underwear only. Beyond that, all I have or will ask for is appropriate attention to appearance. Appropriate attention. Because it matters. There have been plenty enough examples in this thread – mine and others – to put to bed the mistaken belief that it doesn’t.

HH

None of " the top 8 Corps for the last several years " have been impacted at all by the attire worn by staff at practices, or seen along the stadium track for the few minutes their Corps is in performance.

I've seen worse attire in the stands and at INT for heavens sake.

Anybody that's watchng and commenting aloud so others around them can hear their comment at shows re. the attire that some staff are wearing when Corps are in performance or are about to perform, I'd politely tell them when they stood up after a performance that their flys open.

Since 1972, Corps staffs have pretty much dressed the same way while going from town to town on summer tours. Shorts, t shirts, sneakers or sandals. Maybe the hair was longer back then, but that's it. No problems. Nobody said a thing. Not an issue.

There is apparently a new fan base evolving here with DCI, that I was not quite aware of up to this time.. One where Corps staff fashion is important to them when these fans go to the shows now. Frankly, up to now I've never heard a single fan at the shows I've gone too, believe that in DCI. " the top 8 Corps " have had a recent problem with the personal hygiene and clothing worn by their staff. But we learn something new every day. I still believe that if the kids in DCI " top 8 Corps " ( and their staffs ) read this thread about alleged audible comments re. staff clothing choices at recent shows, they'd get a chuckle on the entire silliness of this recent emergence of the fashion police among some in this new " evolving " DCI fan base.

Brasso, can I ask you why you don't cite your corps experience in your sig? I don't mention mine because I don't want my comments to reflect poorly on the organizations and was and am affiliated with. This is the same idea. Staff members hanging out in front of the corps looking like slobs reflects poorly on the membership. This refers to both their attire and their actions (i.e. warming up the corps with red cups in hand.)

No one is commenting on the trendiness of the outfits worn by staff members. We just feel that they shouldn't like slobs at performances. And personally, I don't think it needs to be said by anyone in the audience for them to realize the need to look presentable when out in public. I get a chuckle that they need to be told.

Either way, I can't believe you're still hung up on this staff attire thing.