Death of the Ballad

Funny anecdote... during high school one of my best friends (who was in high school marching band but didn't know two much about drum corps yet) asked me one day "is it some kind of requirement that every band have some sort of ###### slow middle section that sucks?"

I have to admit, I actually wish, when it comes to high schools at least, band directors don't try to shoehorn shows into the typical Opener, Ballad, Closer format. Not because I don't like ballads (I really do) but often times it's music that just doesn't click with the kids and this becomes obvious in the quality of the performance.

That being said, the school I taught this past season had a ballad that the kids really liked and I think was one of the most effective parts of the show (and the judges ate it up!).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are there and sound great

They're becoming more and more rare. Makes me sad.

Teal Sound had a nice ballad......2010

And I love the Colts ballads from the last couple of seasons....especially 2009

Everything is cyclical. And there's still a lot of beautiful moments out there. For example, I wouldn't consider anything in "Ballet for Martha" to be a ballad in the traditional sense, and yet there were plenty of ballad-like moments.

Stole my answer... must be that you're younger - faster on the keyboard... *#@(#*#@

While corps still use them, they are indeed getting shorter and shorter, I feel. As corps use more and more transition-type material in their programs, it's difficult to find *any* mood / tempo sustained over an extended period. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but I think that's where we're at right now.

Mike

Agreed on all counts.

I'm not trying to say there's anything wrong with shows today, either. Just making an observation.