Woodwinds now legal in DCI

We're this far along already, with stuff everyone was absolutely certain would never fly in competition. Seems silly to assume it would stop here.

Thats because you are assuming that it wont stop... as a son of a business man... the business side is telling me if they allow woodwinds to actually march in DCI no one would show up to the shows... (thats including me) but also this is also certain... if DCI does allow it (which I highly doubt) DCA will get more ticket sales... but overall DCI will not allow woodwinds to march...

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're this far along already, with stuff everyone was absolutely certain would never fly in competition. Seems silly to assume it would stop here.

Exactly my beliefs. I'm just hoping it doesn't happen before I age-out.

Didn't Blue Stars use a woodwind in their pit last summer in the preshow? Or was that one of those "Bob Barker" type stories?

Mike

I may be incorrect, but i think that was just for an encore piece.

Yep.... Never say never with DCI.... Just another thing that would "never happen" that did....

If this is true, why was this necessary at all? If it's already legal, why the need for a "rule change?" The only reason I can see is to get the next camel body part inside the tent.

It was necessary to allow the "judged pre-show" rule (which didn't pass). Why they'd pass one and not the other is a mystery, but at least this particular rule didn't change anything.

Thats because you are assuming that it wont stop... as a son of a business man... the business side is telling me if they allow woodwinds to actually march in DCI no one would show up to the shows... (thats including me) but also this is also certain... if DCI does allow it (which I highly doubt) DCA will get more ticket sales... but overall DCI will not allow woodwinds to march...

I'm not just "assuming," I'm judging based on past experiences.

Remember when some folks told us that it was crazy talk that the introduction of saxophones into the I & E Competition at DCI Championships was a harbinger of introducing woodwinds into the field of competition ? I was one of the ones that said this was ridiculous. That the use of saxophones at I & E by DCI " would NEVER find its way onto The field." But boy, was I ever wrong on this. Those folks were called all sorts of names for suggesting this was going to happen back then. But they were right on this issue as it turns out.

Now watch these same folks that said we'd never see woodwinds in Corps tell us that now that the woodwinds are allowed on the field, that " they'll NEVER, ever be used in DCI field competition".

Sure. Ok. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Edited by BRASSO

DCA's ticket sales are not dependent on, or related to, anything DCI does. The two are not mutually exclusive.

And I never said they were... you missed my point... people wont go to DCI show rather they will go to DCA shows...