Weekend-only touring

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it wouldn't work. but i wouldn't miss out on most of the corps i like

weekend only? not anymore.

but a regional model like the DCE/DCM/DCW days?

yeah that'd make a lot more sense

From a former Pacific Crest member it works alright. I mean ya it was less of a financial burden on the corps but the members spent more $$$ individually than a corps that full tours. For some of our local shows during the season (riverside, walnut, long beach, etc) the members drove them selves from the "housing site" to the show site. They also provided their own meals too at least when I was there (06-08). Now for shows like in San Diego, Bakersfield and in norcal, they got buses and food truck food so it wasn't solely the members.

It works for having a corps active and keeping a local membership which PC is usually made up of even though we got some Las Vegas and Arizona kids in the mix sometimes as well. Apparently now some of my friends that are still there tell me that they are doing less weekend tour and more of a full tour this season. Just look at their schedule.

With DCI WC corps locking out more and more OC corps from shows, here is the problem with going regional:

Regional model for Open Class:

West: Blue Devils B, Blue Devils C, SCV Cadets, Impulse, Gold, Incognito, Mystical, Oregon Crusaders, VK, City Sound, Spokane Thunder

Midwest: Colt Cadets, Legends, Racine Scouts

South: Music City, Forte, Revolution, Genesis,

East: 7th Regiment, Raiders, Spirit of Newark, Platinum, Spartans

Canada: Blue Saints, Dutch Boy, Les Stentors

Unless you start combining say Midwest with South, and East with Canada, which will increase the travel distances for those corps back to a national tour, there will not be many available OC corps for diverse shows outside of the western division. So, for a regional system to work, there will have to either be many more OC corps allowed into DCI, or more shows opened up to both WC and OC corps.

THIS!!!!

That was not broken...and it kept Roman busy.LOL.

Donny

I can tell you that with NYS and their major budget problems, you are going to find it harder with each passing day to house corps up in schools in this state. You can expect to find schools charging rental fees that include an on duty custodian. It has now gotten to the point that if we, employees of a school want to use a building, unless we have our own kids in the activity, we also have to rent the building and pay a custodian

Agreed with the regional model. There are enough out west to make a "DCW" work now. It would save money on travel expenses as well.

Heck PC, Surf, and Academy have made a limited touring schedule work.

I remember several years ago some of us got quite heated of the limited touring model. I am for it and see nothing wrong with it, it gives others a chance to experience the activity.

Maybe you could combine some lime you did before, and...gasp... Put some world and open corps together at the same shows

With DCI WC corps locking out more and more OC corps from shows, here is the problem with going regional:

Regional model for Open Class:

West: Blue Devils B, Blue Devils C, SCV Cadets, Impulse, Gold, Incognito, Mystical, Oregon Crusaders, VK, City Sound, Spokane Thunder

Midwest: Colt Cadets, Legends, Racine Scouts

South: Music City, Forte, Revolution, Genesis,

East: 7th Regiment, Raiders, Spirit of Newark, Platinum, Spartans

Canada: Blue Saints, Dutch Boy, Les Stentors

Unless you start combining say Midwest with South, and East with Canada, which will increase the travel distances for those corps back to a national tour, there will not be many available OC corps for diverse shows outside of the western division. So, for a regional system to work, there will have to either be many more OC corps allowed into DCI, or more shows opened up to both WC and OC corps.

Maybe you could combine some lime you did before, and...gasp... Put some world and open corps together at the same shows

I agree. Back in the day, love that phrase, a local show used to consist of two or three lower division corps, intermission, then three or four upper division corps. This was a great format and there were way more shows around the country than there are today. I would love to see that happen again. However, that situation is going by the wayside due to a) the cost of putting on a local show is skyrocketing so the underwriters only want headliners to have a better chance of bringing in the paying crowd; b) Fewer local shows due to the higher underwriting costs; c) WC corps wanting to go head to head more often earlier in the season; and d) the public is now used to seeing all the heavy hitters going at it earlier in the season due to the elimination of the regional divisions by DCI. What you are asking is for the situation to go back to a first tour / second tour with the first being strictly regional and most shows in both tours to only have three or four WC corps competing. That can happen only if you can get the WC corps and the local underwriters of shows to come on board with it as well as create more local shows. Do you see that as a possible reality?

Edited by Stu