Dear Mr. Director

yes it is, but people will do what they do. I have read many reports of concerts and operas being heckled.

and i was booed as a performer. it fired us the hell up. the problem is too many fans are starting to feel like they are paying $50 to spend half or more of the night at the soda stand.

Seems awfully disrespectful to the performers. I don't like many shows i see and go get something to drink. How would you feel if the corps you marched in was booed as you were performing..just asking

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have a question. Let's just say for the sake of argument there is a member out on the field playing a clarinet solo (God I hope I don't see that). That person is the only one playing and it's a beautiful solo (for a clarinet), and then a bunch of people just stood up and started booing. Is that okay? Would that be acceptable to you? I mean I understand everyone's objections to woodwinds and I REALLY don't want to see them on the field, but that would be a horrible thing to do. Just saying.

Both would be unacceptable to me. Then again, if that did happen, I wouldn't be there to hear either one so I guess it evens out.

Seems awfully disrespectful to the performers. I don't like many shows i see and go get something to drink. How would you feel if the corps you marched in was booed as you were performing..just asking

You must be younger than me as I go to the bathroom (#### water pills).... :blink:

Seriously when amps came out I had a chance to see Cadets and Crossmen for free at a pre-season show. Had no idea what my response would be to amps so had not thought ahead what I would do if I really didn't like them. Well didn't like them and really didn't like the "Where Are We?" vocal stuff in the Cadets door show. (My first thought was "Please shut up so I can hear the corps".)

But..... the members worked their collective butt off to put on the show and I remembered how hard we worked to put on a last place show when I started. So ended up not responding at all during the parts I didn't like. And when the corps trooped the stands I stood and applauded their efforts (think loud golf clap).

Did it again the following year and that solidified my opinion that I could find other things to do with my time. Show was dropped after that anyway due to expense.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

True....my personal belief is that you shouldnt boo a child.. or anyone for that matter..

Point of order here...there are very few non-adults involved with World-Class corps (particulary in the upper-echelons) these days; and those who are need to be prepared as a part of being a performer about potential dissatisfaction with the product on the field; whether warranted or not. I am not saying that I would boo (especially since I am aware of the effort the performers put into their shows)..but how do we as an audience show the 'drawing of the line' of acceptability of show content? Especially since throwing tomatoes are kinda messy..

In these days of information, there cannot be a single performer who is unaware of what their particular corps is about..and if they are, they alone are to blame. And IF they choose to march a corps that is known for doing controersial things, maybe they need to be prepared for the reaction...and maybe learn to relish it; much like the heel in the kayfabe of professional wrestling.

(Which leads to an interesting show concept of the the heroine and the villian...and cheering and hissing by the audience... it could work! :blink:)

It's happened....didnt even phase me.

G

Point of order here...there are very few non-adults involved with World-Class corps (particulary in the upper-echelons) these days; and those who are need to be prepared as a part of being a performer about potential dissatisfaction with the product on the field; whether warranted or not. I am not saying that I would boo (especially since I am aware of the effort the performers put into their shows)..but how do we as an audience show the 'drawing of the line' of acceptability of show content? Especially since throwing tomatoes are kinda messy..

In these days of information, there cannot be a single performer who is unaware of what their particular corps is about..and if they are, they alone are to blame. And IF they choose to march a corps that is known for doing controersial things, maybe they need to be prepared for the reaction...and maybe learn to relish it; much like the heel in the kayfabe of professional wrestling.

(Which leads to an interesting show concept of the the heroine and the villian...and cheering and hissing by the audience... it could work! :blink: )

exactly. look at hashgate.

yes the fans should not have done it ( and hop should not have egged them on), but hre was a perfect life lesson to teach those kids..after all, isn't that part of DCI's educational mantra...life lessons?

but no, the staff and administration chose to go the whole" you're hurting the kids mantra.

if a kid goes to a corps known for controversy ( or its director), that staff should be teaching those kids what possibilities they could face from day 1.

the year I was lucky enough to win a world title, we were told from day one..ina DCA corps no less, with a ton of adults...that we'd be going into hostile terrirtory for finals. We had to be prepared for any reaction.....and we were.

so if these educators were doing their job, they would also prepare them that not every show choice or show sight will have the crowd throwing babies at them.

I just felt the need to say ( and hope none is offended ) especially more than a kid would feel that you choose to BOO, How very adult of those that feel it's ok. I hope you got to expreience that in your own corps experiences . from the look of it some of you may have. These comments really adds creditability to your opinions ( NOT )

just proves how the few who feel its ok , Your opinion means nothing !!!!!!!!! Stand up and be heard OF COURSE..how about set an expample as an adult. To those who feel the same OR who will protest CHANGE in their own ADULT and FAIR way , sorry you had to hear this.

If you don't want to get booed, don't do something that will get booed.

I guarantee you a corps with a woodwind solo will not have a woodwind solo the next year if every time they step on the field they get booed.

If you don't want the activity to go to ####, there are active measures that you, as a fan, can take. Booing is one of those measures and gets your point across loud and clear.

Hopkins even said last year how nice it was to have his corps getting lots of applause last year v. what they were getting in the few years prior.

i disagree boos will stop it from being used again. pointed messages from those who donate and spend money on those corps, as well as the lack of follow up funds will send the message

So I have a question. Let's just say for the sake of argument there is a member out on the field playing a clarinet solo (God I hope I don't see that). That person is the only one playing and it's a beautiful solo (for a clarinet), and then a bunch of people just stood up and started booing. Is that okay? Would that be acceptable to you? I mean I understand everyone's objections to woodwinds and I REALLY don't want to see them on the field, but that would be a horrible thing to do. Just saying.

I wouldn't participate in said booing, but I would totally get why they're doing it and wouldn't throw any grief their way for doing it. While I don't condone it, it is about the most direct and visceral way of indicating your displeasure with something.