Dear Mr. Director

The corps that get 150 people (I'm assuming they are more likely to use woodwinds) will have no problem filling 150 spots regardless of whether you help someone pay or not. If someone can't pay, those corps will just find someone else. The money will still go to the corps in that case. And it isn't rude to sponsor someone and then not go watch them. I hope a member getting sponsored would be appreciative in that instance and not rude.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it odd that people wouldn't want to see where their money goes. :rolleyes:

Edit:

Also, would you sponsor someone in a corps that used woodwinds, and never see them perform? That strikes me almost as rude.

Have sponsored without seeing the show and I could "See" where my money went by the communications with the people I sponsored. I didn't go looking for people to sponsor, I just happened upon some that I would like to support for various reasons.

Totally dependant on the person and absolutely nothing to do with the corps. Kinda like helping someone with their college expenses when you're not a fan of the college.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Maybe this is the beginning of a Tea Party for Drum Corps or whatever else one may wish to call it. Think about it. Our country has evolved over time. Some good. Some not so good. Ditto for our activity.

And that I have all intentions of doing and have already done so this year to a young lady in a corps in the

upper Midwest....... (no-not mentioning the corps or her name) so I have supported her endevours.... and

am proud that I have done so..... Now if we can just get drum and BUGLE corps to a place that we all

can be happy with.... it'd be great........ but you have to look at the fact... finals numbers are down..

dues are higher... this is not drum and BUGLE corps anymore... its suppose to be a not-for-profit organization..

I do not think this means what you think this means. (paraphrased from a favorite movie)

"Not-for-profit organization" is simply a way of saying the following: revenues are used to pursue the organization's goals instead of being used to distribute wealth to shareholders. If a corps is blessed enough to gain great revenues via grants, dues, donations, sales and ticket sales share, then as a not-for-profit organization they MUST use those revenues to continue to pursue those goals. There's no law saying they can't make good money and pay good money to their administrative staff, directors, designers, caption heads and zillions of seasonal techs.

Drum corps has changed, and I for one can live with almost all of the changes so far. (woodwinds on the field would kill it for me, though) I was happy with drum corps in the 80's when I marched, I was happy in the 90's as a staffer for a year and as a fan, and I'm 95% happy with it now. (still waiting for any top eschelon corps to have the guts to eliminate their synths to prove my theory that synths are not necessary to compete for GE and music ensemble scores) I honestly think there is MORE responsibility toward marching members in some of our beloved drum corps than there was BITD.

I find it interesting to read threads about controversial subjects. There seems to be a general pattern:

• There are those who have no moderation and speak in extremes--"I'm going to Camp Randall this summer, sit on the 50 yard line and set myself on fire in protest!"
  • There are those who take a pious position on everything--"This activity is for the kids. Who do you think you are for disagreeing with anything that DCI does? Just shut up and sit down."
  • There are those who are easily distracted and just want to fight--"You offended me. You are a jerk! . . .NO, you are a jerk!"
  • And...there are many (most) who speak articulately and present their position well.

I would encourage a tone of civility. Nobody is calling for the inhalation of drum corps. We're all here because we love the activity. While we may have disagreements, that is okay.

I began this thread to ask everyone to write to people who actually make decisions and see what happens. Will there come a day when I won't want to purchase a ticket because I don't like the activity? Probably not. However, I choose to vote with my keyboard and pocketbook. Will it make a difference? I hope so.

To those of you who do support woodwinds, I would encourage you likewise to write to the directors and tell them and tell them you plan to purchase two shirts this year instead of one.

I've been a casual fan of drum corps since I was a teenager in the mid-80s and my daughter will be marching her rookie season this year. I don't particularly enjoy the changes recently like amplification, synths, voice, and would not like to see woodwinds be made part of the equation. But I'm troubled by a lot of the responses to this and all the other posts decrying the changes made to the activity and saying they will no longer support it with their hard earned dollars. What anyone does with their money is their business, but really think about what this means. When you take this route, and if it succeeds, it means the activity could die out completely and deny the incredible opportunity these kids have to participate. That would be an immense tragedy, IMHO. I agree that fans need to have a voice that matters, and the powers that be should consider it in their decision making. But to wish the activity to die out completely?? That makes no sense to me.

Makes no sense to me, either. If DCI adds woodwinds, they will be a marching band circuit....one of about 40 competitive marching band circuits. Their failure would not kill the marching band activity. The other 39 circuits, and the thousands of high-school bands that compete in them, would continue on.

If there is any concern over the loss of an "activity", that would occur the instant DCI adds woodwinds....at which point, the junior drum corps activity is gone by definition, regardless of how many people support it or leave down the road.

Maybe this is the beginning of a Tea Party for Drum Corps or whatever else one may wish to call it. Think about it. Our country has evolved over time. Some good. Some not so good. Ditto for our activity.

Granny will be there for the gathering in the parlor for the afternoon tea.

('not so sure on her throwing the tea into the Atlantic in protest though, but who knows, somebody'll have to ask her).

Granny will be there for the gathering in the parlor for the afternoon tea.

('not so sure on her throwing the tea into the Atlantic in protest though, but who knows, somebody'll have to ask her).

Tea. Did somebody say tea?

My favorite is Constant Comment (which is what I always sip when writing on DCP). I like it with a bit of sugar because I think a little sweetness makes everything better.

I find it interesting to read threads about controversial subjects. There seems to be a general pattern:

• There are those who have no moderation and speak in extremes--"I'm going to Camp Randall this summer, sit on the 50 yard line and set myself on fire in protest!"
  • There are those who take a pious position on everything--"This activity is for the kids. Who do you think you are for disagreeing with anything that DCI does? Just shut up and sit down."
  • There are those who are easily distracted and just want to fight--"You offended me. You are a jerk! . . .NO, you are a jerk!"
  • And...there are many (most) who speak articulately and present their position well.

I would encourage a tone of civility. Nobody is calling for the inhalation of drum corps. We're all here because we love the activity. While we may have disagreements, that is okay.

I began this thread to ask everyone to write to people who actually make decisions and see what happens. Will there come a day when I won't want to purchase a ticket because I don't like the activity? Probably not. However, I choose to vote with my keyboard and pocketbook. Will it make a difference? I hope so.

To those of you who do support woodwinds, I would encourage you likewise to write to the directors and tell them and tell them you plan to purchase two shirts this year instead of one.

What site is this again?

Tea. Did somebody say tea?

My favorite is Constant Comment (which is what I always sip when writing on DCP). I like it with a bit of sugar because I think a little sweetness makes everything better.

so long as you arn't involved in " the inhalation " of the tea before you boil the water, you should be ok Granny.

Edited by BRASSO