Is DCI trying to eliminate the older fans?

I'm sorry, in no way did I mean to slam anyone. Troopers have had an amazing comeback. I am totally impressed with the way they presented themselves last year, after taking a year off the field just a few seasons ago. And the show was worlds better than anything they have put on since the early 90's. But unfortunately it was nowhere near top 12 level. It probably should have scored right with Spirit and Crossmen. Unfortunately, it made a storyline close to something on American Idol, and while it would have been a nice story, unfortunately the show on the field wasn't anywhere near deserving of 12th place. I would love nothing more than to see Troopers back in top 12, but only if that placement were justified, and not just trying to create a moment of excitement for the fans. Hopefully this will help them build to the point where maybe they can place top 6 again. And if they get that placement, and deserve it, then I am totally excited for them. But that same respect goes to every corps.

I have no problem with people feeling this way. I just have to shrug because I honestly don't think this is how it played out. Sure, I'm biased. But last year is over, and second guessing is just that and nothing more. What will count is what happens in 2010. There's a target on the Troopers, and we all know it. We'll just see how it plays out. I love Troop like nobody's business, but I also know they are going to have one hard haul this summer to prove themselves.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And now to address the original post's intent:

I don't really know if there is any intention one way or another. I think there are those who want more design freedom - I actually consider them design crutches, but that's my personal take. I do wish there was more regard for those who dread the complete abandonment of the last thing that sets us apart from marching band instrumentation. There are great, absolutely fantastic marching band programs out there. I don't need more of that, or even drum corps' version of that. I want BRASS and percussion, period. I think it sounds better, blends better, tunes better, looks better and conveys emotion better. I like it tons more than I like the best of the marching bands out there. Whether or not anyone who makes instrumentation decisions in DCI cares, I don't know. Maybe I need to find out.

I love how people specify 'older fans' on this stuff. I hate electronics, synths, woodwinds, the whole nine yards... (though I'm fine with Bb) and I'm still of marching age... Everyone acts like all the kids involved are okay with this stuff, and, well, I'm not.

DCI is not eliminating its older fans so much as it is ignoring them. Which is tantamount to elimination, I suppose.

The marching band world is very large, very young, and ready made made for drum corps. A marketer's dream that DCI would be foolish not pursue. But it strikes me that DCI has never bothered to ask band kids what attracts them to drum corps, and has simply assumed that drum corps needs to be more like band to draw them in and keep them. The result has been a number of moves, some reasonable, some bizarre (last year's retreat) that have not really attracted a single new young fan but have alienated older fans.

There's also the question of the perilously high turnover rate among DCI's band kid fans. But that's for another thread.

I love how people specify 'older fans' on this stuff. I hate electronics, synths, woodwinds, the whole nine yards... (though I'm fine with Bb) and I'm still of marching age... Everyone acts like all the kids involved are okay with this stuff, and, well, I'm not.

Don't take it personally, it's a generalized feeling that comes from the posts of most younger posters. I don't think we named ourselves "dinosaurs"...

Ha ha, I am just letting you know that you have support from the younger end for sure.

Ha ha, I am just letting you know that you have support from the younger end for sure.

I know, we know......My interaction through the years with the "youth" paints a very different picture than those who like to roar mighty here on DCP.........

G

Owtch! The Troopers after after 34 years finally made me a fan of theirs with that show. Unfortunately didn't see much of what ended up below them to comment on where they "should" have been. I thought it was a rather fine and rather enjoyable package myself.

I'll say most adjudicators I know will make every effort to reflect "reality" by number management, judging their assigned caption, and using the sheets as given them. You're not out there or in the box to figure out the overall ranking of the corps- you're there to rank and rate specific aspects you're assigned to look at. There's a serious difference there, and you let the system work as intended. In essence, you're saying the entire panel collectively fouled up by letting the Troopers in- I just somehow doubt this.

Maybe, it's not the adjudicators- perhaps the sheets they're given? You judge according to the sheets which express the desires of the circuit you're working for that evening. They do have specific things they look for. Haven't seen a DCI Sheet since '96 so I can't tell you what they're specific on looking for the judge to do and not do.

Also, there is a lot of splitting hairs. You're expected to make the call. Break the tie. Make hard decisions. 2 years ago when I watched the QF simulcast and they interviewed the one brass fellow, it was rather revealing. Reading between the lines, He wanted his call on PR back or wished he had a chance to watch another run between PR and BD. I knew then they had a crack at the Devils in the next two rounds- it was that close.

It's tough to do the job and a real responsibility when you know every tenth you parse means something and can make or break someone.

Another thing-- It was intimated to me the Troopers play that stadium rather well and had a show better suited acoustically to it than many other corps did. Their more melodic horn book and more austere harmonic writing may have made a serious difference for that reason against some of the corps that finished "below" them if they were doing the more typical dense and jagged rhythmic statements and partial phrases a lot of horn lines do now and let the pit do a lot of the melodic material, especially in faster rhythmic passages.

Generally speaking, the more melodically written books did do better....

I dont think DCI WANTS older fans to go away, I just think they're doing what they think is best for the orgnization.

Personally my interest in the activity has been waning with the changes being made, but I'm sure there are plenty of new kids who are totally in to things now.

DCI is a business and if they're smart they'll let the market help dictate how the orginzation will evolve.

I'm sure in 10 years, the members marching today will be livid with the new changes that are sure to take place. Just enjoy drum corps for what it was/is to you.

I think DCI has done more to reach out to older fans in the last year or so than they have ever...Cesario's comments on the Fan network bear that out, as well as comments Bob Jacobs has made. granted some directors keep taking potshots at "the RAMD crowd" or the "legacy Fan of 1975", but I see more outreach recently.

why? the economy is bad. attendance is down. the new toys arent pulling in the kids like they used to.

and they finally realized its smart to keep existing fans while adding new ones.