New tour concept for 2011 proposed

Possible 2011 DCI Touring Format Poll  

369 members have voted

1. 1. The proposed tour for top 7 and special events

• for it
    • against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

I'm suddenly flashing back to my Inequality in Societies course when we learned about institutionalized classism, racism, sexism, heterosexism, ableism, etc. in which the laws and structures of societies are intentionally or unintentionally designed specifically to keep the privileged groups on top of the less privileged groups.

Obviously, drum corps elitism doesn't approach the seriousness of classism, racism, etc on a grand scale, but the social model certainly does come immediately to mind. Another key difference between the two models: in the DCI model, the underprivileged groups don't merely become less and less able to bail themselves out of their situation... they die out entirely.

So why in the world would anyone implement something that's effectively a death sentence for all non-G7 corps? They often have a hard enough time gaining funds, auditionees, an influential voice... WITHOUT being explicitly labeled "non-elite." Now we're going to give them that label AND allocate those resources such that the corps that are ALREADY implicitly elite (for the year) gain further advantages?

Assuming I am correctly interpreting the situation, I believe the ramifications will be disastrous and far beyond anything that the additions of amps, synths, or even woodwinds could ever do.

+1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So why in the world would anyone implement something that's effectively a death sentence for all non-G7 corps?

Not content with the death of d2\3\open class, apparently that needs to extend to a lot of the world class as well now.

That said, the rest of your post was very interesting.... good points :lookaround:

For those who are mentioning that they only go to see shows of these top 7, what's wrong with the current way of things that's stopping you from going to these corps at the same shows? Don't you go to regionals to see only the top corps anyways? What difference does it make if there are corps there that you don't see? Sure there may not be as many fans there for the lower tier corps, but they get to see their favorites and then the elite groups.

Also looking at this from a member standpoint, my friends talk about how much fun it is to go perform a show early in the day, then see the top groups perform later in the day. Why should we deny them that opportunity?

These corps dont care, they are member sucking vampires..they want the second class corps to ready 'em and then they recruit the cream of the crop for their elite pageantry......

They are going to destroy the activity as we have it right now......

This will not grow the activity, at all.

And, you will not get a stadium of 15,000 people for the g-7.....and especially at the prices they will charge.

G

Right now we don't know that anyone would denied entry, or what the barriers would be to join the G7. I imagine there has to be something in the proposal to allow the number to grow and to shrink as needed. This idea seems founded on the Tour of Champions model - and even references those performances - yet the Madison Scouts were part of ToC and are no longer consistant finalists. Excellence changes over time, for good and for ill, and surely this proposal recognizes that.

As much as I agree with your post, don't your points also agree with the current organization of the corps?

Id rather donate to Indiana Eclipse than any of these 'G7' corps at this point.

The proposed board change and the change in the voting system.

It's like "The Italian Job"

"We're the self-preservation society" Dum de dum

if there is significant enough backlash, some of them may be hurting anyways.

I know for one, even if given a free ticket I would not attend a G7 show

Same here. No souvies from these groups either. Oh, and I don't plan to watch them perform this year. I'll be grabbing a hot dog or buying some souvies from the other corps. I will also discourage my students from going to these corps, and I will steer them to the other corps instead.

so, it's either we cave to them, or have nothing. that is a ####### lousy way to look at it.

I did not say it was a good thing, but, unless the current structure can start generating a lot more revenue, inevitable.