Possible 2011 DCI Touring Format Poll  

369 members have voted

1. 1. The proposed tour for top 7 and special events

• for it
    • against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

I read this whole #### topic.

Anyone familiar with my posting history knows I usually come down in opposition to those like Jeff, audiodb, BRASSO, etc...but not this time. I believe this will change the activity more than anything since the inception of DCI, and not for the better.

A few points to consider:

1. There are multiple perspectives here:

- Fans

- G7 Corps

- Non-G7 Corps

- The entire jr corps activity

For the fans, this is great, Bruckner8 has espoused on how awesome it would be to see the top corps duke it out in a new and entertaining competition structure. This is a VERY naive and selfish viewpoint though.

For the G7 corps, this is great. More money, more performance opportunities, more brand equity, more glory.

For the non-G7 corps, it's the opposite of all that.

For the activity, it's disasterous. The viewpoint of Bruckner8 is SO shortsighted. As many have said, this leaves the non-G7 corps with crumbs.

2. Anyone who thinks that Hopkins et al are doing this for any reason than to make their organizations more profitable and sustainable is beyond naive. Any good director acts in his or her organization's best interest. Hopkins pretty clearly believes that creating this weekend spectacle is the first step on the pathway to increasing the audience for his group and groups like his. That's the same reasons he's wanted more design freedom: to create something that will attract more non-marching arts affiliated fans to the activity. It's a fine vision and I bet whatever it ends up being will be tremendously entertaining (think Blast!), but the problem is they're planning on effectively bankrupting DCI (stealing their fanbase and member base) to launch this venture.

3. This is the big one that no one is talking about. From the DCW article: "The presentation included ideas to minimize the DCI infrastructure in an effort to reduce overhead and increase corps payouts -- focusing on adjudication initiatives, among other things -- with other DCI administrative functions being distributed to the G7 corps." Think CrownTickets instead of TicketMaster for ALL DCI shows. Do you know how much effing money the G7 corps stand to make on this by performing this hostile takeover of DCI?

Quite frankly, this all scares the #### out of me. These groups should just pack up and leave if they want to do their own thing, but without taking all they can from DCI. DCI would be well-suited to kick them to the curb and move forward with BAC, Blue Stars, BK, Glassmen, Madison, Crossmen, hopefully Cavies and the rest of the remaining corps as the face of DCI. It won't be easy, and I'm sure in time more organizations will get greedy and lose sight of the well-being of the ENTIRE activity (as these 6.5 have), but I believe that's DCI's best chance for survival.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since G-7 want more money....(greed) and if G-7 are getting their new people from the LOWER ranking corps...maybe they should paying the lower corps for "developing" these new people....perhaps $5000.00 for each new member that comes from a lower corps.

I believe that the way the Blue Devils are approaching things right now is a good way of going about it. They are a drum corps, but they are also so much more. They are a business, creating concert bands, smaller ensembles, and even their own line of sticks and mallets.

Interesting that you bring this up. Check out "System Blue". Apparently, the Blue Devils (and others) are partnering to stage clinics for which they will charge admission. Over the past dozen years, such corps staged clinics to draw kids to DCI shows, and benefit the entire DCI collective. Now, they are staging clinics to fill their own separate coffers.

This is completely self serving and self centered BS,.................I sit on a board that has sponsored DCI contests for more than 25 years,..............this year we are holding two shows on August 3rd for an Open Class contest, and August 4th for a World Class contest,................we raise a lot of money all year long to put on these events at an affordable price to the Erie community,...............I will tell you this,..........If this goes through, I quit!,..........my yearlong efforts will go away, my hard earned show and individual member sponsorship dollars will go away, let alone souvie purchases, ticket purchases that I personally give away to folks who can't afford them..............this is not a threat, it is a promise to all of the corps who are being snubbed by this group of immature snot nosed, overgrown brats,.............I hope some of these idiots lurk here and read this, as it is just the tip of the iceberg they will be facing,...............

So, how long before Hopkins turns his attention towards DCA? When the damage is done here, DCA will be ripe for him to sink his claws into and stomp around on with his cloven hooves.

not enough cash there to warrant any attention

Umm, because #21 in any given past year is nowhere near the level of #1 in that year, and this might setup a framework for #21 to be #1 (if that's their goal, which it won't be)

Why do you think they keep changing the class structure? ANS: Because EVERYONE wants shows to be more equal. EVERYONE wants shows to be more competitive. EVERYONE wants shows to be excellent, too.

But there always has to be a World Series, just in case someone in a certain class wants to compare itself to someone in another class. That's what Finals is for.

During the summer, let the G7 duke it out at heavyweight events (w/o the overhead of a regional). Let the 8-14 duke it out at their events,and 15-21 at theirs. Then, once per week, everyone comes together at a regional (should only be 2 big shows before FInals) THere will still be the show in Rome,NY work you'll have 7 corps, with 2-3 from each of the "tiers."

There will still be HIGHLY ENTERTAINING SHOWS no matter the tier. (but they won't all be excellent...)

WIN-WIN.

Oh, please. Like stratification worked for what we now call "open-class"?

First, it's some "separate but equal" events.

Then it becomes "separate and unequal".

Then all events become separate, and pretty soon, you need 18 months, a participation review committee, an evaluation process and a vote of the entire membership to allow a corps to advance.

And then, the "top corps" will decide they are carrying the "bottom corps", and write another PowerPoint presentation....

Unless my reading comprehension is at senility level, I have read many posts here insinuating things that I do not read......

it states that these events would be IN ADDITION to regular world class corps contests, and it also implies that these 7 would be competing in the regular world class shows as well.

Some on here are implying that these 7 corps will not compete with the others at all, and will be a separate entity....unless I can't read, I don't see that implied. The only time they will be on their own are these additional shows where they will use a different format, and it sounds like they will be trying different things at those shows. Hey, if it brings on some new fans, and they are successful at it...they can knock themselves out, and perhaps more corps will join in. We will still have "regular" tour shows and contests with these corps, and I think it is safe to say that all will be at championships. If it's not successful, it's not going to be worth the enormous amount of extra preparation involved.

Frankly, I am not sure what the result will be, but I don't see them "endangering" standard competitive drum corps shows, and who knows....maybe we will have something more/additional........and I don't have a problem with that......I am as big a homer as anyone else, and hope that I can continue to see great drum and bugle corps contests.......if this addition is good, too, well that would be great.........If it's not, it won't last............

GB

It is now. Obviously, then, that is not what they want.

It is certainly not a G21 now. Corps like the Mandarins and Pacific Crest might be in the same division as the G7 corps, but that's where the comparisons end. There is a world of difference between what the G7 corps offer in terms of consistent entertainment, excellence of performance, and draw and marketability, versus what the quarterfinalist corps are able to provide. I see no harm in recognize that fact and using it as a starting point for any discussion of the future of the activity.

Oh, please. Like stratification worked for what we now call "open-class"?

First, it's some "separate but equal" events.

Then it becomes "separate and unequal".

Then all events become separate, and pretty soon, you need 18 months, a participation review committee, an evaluation process and a vote of the entire membership to allow a corps to advance.

And then, the "top corps" will decide they are carrying the "bottom corps", and write another PowerPoint presentation....

All corps are created equal but some corps are more equal than others.