New tour concept for 2011 proposed

Possible 2011 DCI Touring Format Poll  

369 members have voted

1. 1. The proposed tour for top 7 and special events

• for it
    • against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

Please explain how you have arrived at your statement that DCI has not been doing well. What metrics did you use?

Maybe he went to DCI Championships last year... looked around at the size of the crowd and said " holy ####, there's few here". We've lost a lot of fans". Then he went to the theatre last week and watched the DCI on the screen and looked around and said " holy ####, there's only 6 people here !"

I could be wrong, but maybe this was " the metric " he used to come to his conclusion that this enterprise is on life support financially, because as improved as the product is getting, not enough people are buying it 's entertainment like they used to do. But again, I could be wrong, and it's just one of those wild speculations on this.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

except greed is not good. if it was, the economy would not be in the mess it's in now

On this I will firmly, definately disagree with you. And if you start another thread on this topic we could chat about it. But it does seem well beyond the scope (in other words, BS) of the topic at hand.

Question wasn't directed at me. I was more pointing out your embarrassing hypocrisy. DCI member or not, all touring ensembles require money. If a percentage of the group bring in substantially more revenue....why are they weighted the same as a corps that brings in a handful of legacy fans and a mommy or two?

I'm sorry....where did we establish what percentage of fans were brought in by who? Cite your source.

What are they supposed to do? Start missing halts or something?

it's not just the on field product Jason. it's about so much more than the on field product

So how much control should they have???? And how does this help the ENTIRE activity??

Maybe DCI should try a new motto: "It's not for the kids anymore, it's for whoever brings in the most $$$$" or "If you don't bring in enough money, #### you".

you nailed it Jim,..............

Edited by Gary Matczak

Here's an idea, but I'm not sure it would work, given the egos, insecurities and histories involved. And maybe it's been tried before (Cadets>>Crossmen)

Maybe each of the G7 corps can be assigned to two non-G7 corps, in an organizational swap program, where all ideas would be shared, especially the ideas that made the G7 into what they are. The newest entries (Bloo and Crown) would have a lot of recent information on that.

Theoretically, if these pockets of three corps were really serious about sharing the wealth, they would swap staffs during the winter programs. Wouldn't it be cool to make the design staff of one corps work with the instructional staff of another? You'd have to do it in pieces, like switch brass staffs one month, and drum staffs another, etc, to maximize the "cross pollination." By the time April rolls around, you can swap the entire instructional staff for a camp.

Moveins would be back to normal operation, unless you planned it so the pockets were in the same relative location.

This idea would address every conceivable "positive" outcome, educationally for the kids AND staffs, but it might (and I mean might) make the G7 corps a little less competitive. I hold out the possibility that it might make them BETTER, since diversity of ideas is ALWAYS better, even if a bad idea is learned from.

Now for the reality. There are plenty of non-G7 corps who are perfectly happy being who they are, and they don't want a G7 influence whatsoever. At the other end, the G7 corps would LOVE to get fresh ideas from the non-G7, but the resentment has built up over the years to the point where it's irreparable. My point is this: Over the course of this thread, a consensus has emerged that the non-G7 will be hurt by the G7 "leaving." That means the consensus "needs" whatever it is the G7 brings. Any solution has to start with the non-G7 understanding this, and be willing to work with it.

The consensus likes to call out the G7 leaders as a-holes, but I have to tell you, the non-G7 has plenty of ego as well. The G7 have limits too, and they get frustrated to the point of "F*** THIS." There are roadblocks in the non-G7.

Z0mg they want to make money?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?! How horrible of them!

Drum corps is a business these days. DCI is nothing more than a glorified marketing firm. Looks like those that pay the bills want a new face.

except more than a few of the corps they 10 point actually run their business much better and are in better financial shape.

imagine that

Actually, from what I understand they're *ahead* of their projections this year, which is what made it even more puzzling.

Mike

Being ahead of protections means nothing if we do not know what said projections are or how they compare to previous years.

d

It's. A. Business.
some run theirs better than others. and some of those who are the worst are the best on the field

it's not just the on field product Jason. it's about so much more than the on field product

Yes I know...that comment was toungue in cheek, you know that.

But really...they are successful beyond any other corps out there...why should they hide that fact?