New tour concept for 2011 proposed

Possible 2011 DCI Touring Format Poll  

369 members have voted

1. 1. The proposed tour for top 7 and special events

• for it
    • against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

He at least has the balls to say what he thinks, while others are content to let him serve as their mouthpiece.

its funny because this is a drum and bugle corps thread :lookaround:

trying to light things up a little

ok back to fighting :devil:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested to see what happens to the rest of open class.

I think you should be concerned about the Open Class.

You should also be concerned about the rest of the World Class and the DCI organization.

This is ALL about the G7.

Read the proposal. Then read the DCW article. Then read between the lines.

The G7 makes a proposal to the 9 member Board - of which 4 of the 9 are also members of the G7. The Board then says, "Why yes, G7 group. Please continue to develop this."

Based on that, there is an emergency meeting of the voting member corps. In other words, the rest of the World Class can see what is going on and they vote to remove the majority of the Board.

This isn't over - it is just beginning. The G7 proposal looks like the first shot across the bow, IMO.

In a previous thread, several people speculated that it was all about the money. It is all about the money and the power.

Scott wrote a proposal back and 97 called "Drum Corps 1997 - The state of the activity".

It would be interesting to read it again.

It's been posted and debated a few times since here.

Lord, it's kinda like reading prophecy now. :lookaround:

How arrogant of George Hopkins to make a claim that they are the main reason for the crowds at a show....Its like this activity is losing all the value and credibility of its fundamentals.

Competition creates the best, its not so much the units themselves but the depth of the competition in the field.......

Im so tired of holding my breath hoping this activity is going to "right its wrongs" ..

G

It is blunt but true.

Look at the stands at the beginning of a show compared to the end of the show.

The top corps are the biggest draw. That is a fact

Economic impact to the corps aside, I have to brutally honest...while I love seeing corps from the bottom to the top of the competitive ladder, the sort of "G7" show that's being described sounds like something I'd be much more likely to take a complete newbie to to get them hooked then a typical small sized early-to-mid summer show in corn country. The big regionals & championship week have been great for exposing friends to the activity, but ticket prices have gone up to the point where few are willing to just take my word on what an awesome time they're going to have.

Of course, no guarantee that ticket prices to these new class of shows would be any more affordable, but that's something that remains to be seen...

Just a thought.

So how does this effect all the rest of the drum corps? is it going to leave them out to dry??

It is blunt but true.

I don't think anyone is disputing that. However, without the beginning of the show, there is no end of the show. Drum corps, and DCI, cannot exist in a manner akin to baseball. It has to operate on some sort of revenue sharing model (at least when it comes to appearance fees). The G7 corps already make more off souvie sales than the rest of DCI does.

So, I tried to form an opinion on this, but I just don't care about all of this hooplah enough.

I've got friends marching in 13 different corps this summer. Some of them are "Top 7," corps, and some of them aren't. I will support all of them equally. I really don't care about this new touring model. I don't even care about woodwinds. If my friends want to do an activity that will benefit them physically, mentally, and musically, why should I not support them? I'll continue to go see drum corps even if they've added full woodwind sections, lasers, fireworks and trapeze artists as long as people I know are still doing it.

Edited by BugleBand

It is blunt but true.

Not my point...if the corps that placed 20th this year placed in the top three five years from now and stayed there, theywould get the same audience, not because of their name, but because competition, their viability as a contender, placed them there.......The stands are packed to see the top corps vye for the title, not the Cadets, BD, SCV..et all vye for the title, its just a testament to their competitive edge, right now, that they are on top.

Had this been 2002, Carolina Crown would not be getting all the crowd, they didnt even make finals.......

G