Here's hoping Blue Stars and BAC

I can't say if craiga is a fan, but I am persoanally a BIG fan of the Boston Crusaders, I have been for awhile now. But even if they were in included in this G7 (or G8), I would still be against the idea in a major way. It just the fact that in George Hopkins' proposal, he basically says that those seven corps are "better" than all of the other corps, and that people only go to show to see those seven corps, that's what I basically have the problem with. :thumbup:

I have read you other posts and I do think you deserve respect and I do respect your opinion and even agree to a point. Do I think those 7 are better WELLLL for the most part (not all )but most YES are they more signicant than the others NO Do they sell more tickets..NO DOUBT YES. Even when shows are full I would bet even the big supporters here of the little guy and I dont mean Boston or BS are in the parking lot sluggin down a beer out of the trunk or meeting up in the parking lot with old friends reliving WAR stories.

Now theres nothing at all wrong with that , in fact that can be fun , Then all of a sudden the stands get fuller when the bigger corps come on. WE know that and see that. This may not mean everyone , thats for sure BUT it does happen

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read you other posts and I do think you deserve respect and I do respect your opinion and even agree to a point. Do I think those 7 are better WELLLL for the most part (not all )but most YES are they more signicant than the others NO Do they sell more tickets..NO DOUBT YES. Even when shows are full I would bet even the big supporters here of the little guy and I dont mean Boston or BS are in the parking lot sluggin down a beer out of the trunk or meeting up in the parking lot with old friends reliving WAR stories.

Now theres nothing at all wrong with that , in fact that can be fun , Then all of a sudden the stands get fuller when the bigger corps come on. WE know that and see that. This may not mean everyone , thats for sure BUT it does happen

I dunno, I and quite a few others leave the stadium empty a tad when a particularly annoying Cadet show comes on but will not leave when I see Madison.

I have no doubt that Cadets have had some issues, but I don't recall them NOT being in the top 12 since 1980. If they ever had to come back from 50 members or not fielding like Troopers, or spending a couple years in Divi3 like BS, it's news to me.

If the Cadets have not had the issues you've described, that's to their credit. Coming back from the brink as the Troopers and Blue Stars have done is admirable - but better yet is running an organization in such a manner that you never find yourself on the brink in the first place.

I have no doubt that Cadets have had some issues, but I don't recall them NOT being in the top 12 since 1980. If they ever had to come back from 50 members or not fielding like Troopers, or spending a couple years in Divi3 like BS, it's news to me.

1941-1945 due to the war the corps lost the majority of their members who were 18+ and they were limited to local events and had to ride to events on the Garfield fire trucks because of fuel rationing.

1955 the corps was kicked out by the church and had to travel to nationals without the churches support which included uniforms, instruments, money, and their name. They had to perform using borrowed instruments and in white t-shirts and shorts. After the season was over they were left with nothing at all, no money, uniforms, rehearsal sites, instruments, nothing.

1980 by March there were 12 brass players. They had to send someone to Mississippi in May to recruit over 40 brand new members and then learn a show in a few days before the first competition.

Those are the three biggest ones that I know of, although I'm sure there are more

This thread was begun by someone supporting the idea that he hopes BAC and BS can outdo at least some of the G7. It is interesting to me that a couple people here claim to support Boston, for example, then go on to say that the G7 proposal isn't elitist or a money/power grab. I will say (AGAIN) that the ups and downs corps like BAC, BS, Madison, Troopers have experienced over the years were NOT the fault of the G7.

However, the smugness and arrogance with which a few here have proclaimed, well Corps X is better run, achieves a higher level, etc is nauseating. And, I don't get the references to the Tea Party.....

Further, someone mentioned supposed "conspiracy theories". What do you call it when a small group of people spends months planning a scheme to take control of an organization, replace its chairman, and exclude the other groups from having a say?

I'm not making up some conspiracy....just read the statements on the various G7 sites. This is all fact.

From what I'm beginning to hear, however, it's beginning to sound like the majority HAS in fact acted to veto this entire scheme in a democratic, one corps-one vote manner. If true, we can thank about a dozen corps directors for have the sack to save this activity.

Lastly, DCI should require all G7 corps to REAPPLY for DCI membership. They were, after all, quick to judge the other 16 (plus the entire Open class) as not worthy. Granted, as far as I know, they would all gain re-entry, but it might be an eye-opener for THEIR organizations to be judged themselves.

You don't think the 20 year old corps that has worked its way up from Div. III to 2nd place in World Class has similar stories?

And maybe BD has had it good for a while . . . a testament to the strength of that organization and the dedication and ability of its members, staff, and administration. To say that BD hasn't had "struggles" in some time is the highest praise I could imagine for a drum corps. Even so, I'm sure the BD vets can come up with a few stories to rival yours.

Now, I'm saddened that these corps are supporting a proposal that might prevent other corps from reaching the same level of success. But there's no reason unleash this kind of mindless, populist nonsense on the G7. It only looks makes the anti-G7 crowd look worse than it already does.

There is no way in the world that if this G-7 proposal was adopted in ( say ) 1973-74, that the Blue Devils would have risen into the DCI top 3 by 1975, and win it all in 1976.

When we look at the majority of DCP'ers that currently are opposed to this G-7 proposal, I am harkened by the fact that probably a lot of them are either former marchers of the G-7 or fans of the G-7..... but despite this, they have the decency and clear headedness and just plain good common sense to be able to step back and say.... " this isn't right ".

This makes the G-7 fans and alums who have taken this position appear fair minded and very classy, imo.

1941-1945 due to the war the corps lost the majority of their members who were 18+ and they were limited to local events and had to ride to events on the Garfield fire trucks because of fuel rationing.

1955 the corps was kicked out by the church and had to travel to nationals without the churches support which included uniforms, instruments, money, and their name. They had to perform using borrowed instruments and in white t-shirts and shorts. After the season was over they were left with nothing at all, no money, uniforms, rehearsal sites, instruments, nothing.

1980 by March there were 12 brass players. They had to send someone to Mississippi in May to recruit over 40 brand new members and then learn a show in a few days before the first competition.

Those are the three biggest ones that I know of, although I'm sure there are more

Nobody has had it worse than INT though.

In 1934 an entire audience at the VFW Nationals got up and left when it came to INT.

In subsequent years, it became a bad tradition.

Corps have lost marchers, staff, bussses, bingo halls, equipment.

But has any lost...... little children ? I think not !

Little children have been lost at INT.... more than once.

But you know what ? whether it's good or bad, INT still gets fans up and out of their seats to this day... and that says something, right there.

Edited by BRASSO

Yes, we hear what you're saying. It wasn't all that long ago when DCP's ( and lots of fans ) who have now left used to say how " the DCI Corps are slotted ". I recall how some fans thought back then that this was " conspiracy theory ". Who knows maybe it was a silly notion.

But here we are.... in 2010.... and we have a proposal to create a subdivision within the World Class Division., and become codified and institutionalized where, among other things, there will be competitive scheduling advantages that wlll acrue to the grouping at the top.

Now, if that isn't group " slotting ", then I don't know what is.

We are now way, WAYYY, Past " conspiracy theories " my friend when it comes to the potential group " slotting of Corps " within the World Class Division of DCI if this proposal is passed.

It's always slotting when your favorite corps isn't where you think they should be. :tongue: