Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

The above is not necessarily in conflict with the G7 proposal, all of the hand-wringing DCP rhetoric aside.

The G7 group operated 10% within the structure of DCI.

At this point I personally have not decided what parts of the proposal I agree with...or not. I do think that the negative hyperbole in these threads has pretty much obliterated rational analysis.

Whatever, Mike....

You're probably the founding member of the DCP7.

/sarcasm

:tongue:

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm late to the party. So sue me.

"At the center of the proposal is a detailed plan to feature DCI’s top acts, while sustaining the structure of the World Class, Drum Corps International and Tour Event Partner events that are currently in place."

Anybody on here see the detailed plan (and can prove it), or is this thread mostly wild speculation as is so often the case?

That's not paraphrasing that's rewriting.

No.. it's paraphrasing....

even more interesting, as I found this on RAMD tonight...someone posted part of the DCI Constitution preamble.

"This organization more than most enterprise requires the utmost in

trust and good will among its members. Deliberations and decisions

must be made on the basis of what is good for the Drum and Bugle Corps

movement rather than for the gain of a few corps. If this

organization operates in a statesmanlike manner it can be become the

most useful moving force in the Drum and Bugle Corps world. But if it

reverts to the partisan policies and personal innuendoes which have so

often marred the Drum and Bugle Corps scene in the past, this

organization will destroy itself and bring discredit to all Drum and

Bugle Corps. May the members of this organization always be equal to

the responsibility of the membership."

Read this.. if you decided to skip over it earlier...

Another thing is the events of the past week have created a pre-season buzz of which I've never experienced before. We're all talking about the future of drum corps. That's a good thing.

That is probably the single greatest thing to come out of this. Every person ont his site cares about drum corps. And no matter what their views, they want to see it live. That is great. The trick is actually figuring out a way so drum corps can live forever.

And I think this will help out this summer A LOT.

And as much a sour taste is in my mouth right now from the G7 (or 6/6.5.. whatever), I'll still applaud. It won't change the fact that I don't approve the character that was just revealed from these corps.

Also, let us not forget about Dan A.'s article on DCI.org:

From the desk of the DCI Executive Director

My Dear Friends:

Last evening seven member corps of Drum Corps International simultaneously posted a press release. Shortly thereafter an article was posted on the independent Drum Corps World website titled "DCI member corps divided on group’s future direction and leadership." Both the press release and the article were the result of discussion and action taken recently at a regularly scheduled DCI Board of Directors meeting.

One can only conclude from reading the press release and the article that there is a philosophical division among the member corps as to the best course for the future of Drum Corps International. Unfortunately this is true. Some of the actions taken in the past several weeks could be interpreted to be either detrimental to the future of the organization or perhaps a necessary discourse to lead the drum corps experience into a positive direction. Others may contend that this is a dark moment in Drum Corps International’s 38-year history, which in its very own mission statement claims to be "a cooperative fraternity of its member drum corps."

I would be less than genuine if I tried to make a statement without expressing how concerned I am that the differences among the member corps have brought the organization to such a level of disagreement. However, as frustrating as this can be when discussions become mired in egoism and self-righteousness, I know all of the corps representatives are noble in their pursuit of what they perceive to be the right direction for Drum Corps International. The passion runs so deep among the individuals who serve as the DCI Board of Directors and among the representatives of the DCI Member Corps, that at times, the magnitude of the figurative explosion that sometimes occurs can be staggering.

Because of recent governance related events, these passionate corps leaders have a long way to go to come back together as a "cooperative fraternity" in order to determine a direction for the future. After 22 years in the DCI boardroom, I can say I have never seen anything quite like this. However, I do know each corps leader is equally compassionate toward the other as well as their respective corps. One of the truly spectacular aspects of DCI's fraternal dynamic is that no matter the background, no matter the different points of view, no matter the underlying competitiveness, there has always been compassionate resolve in the end that serves the entire collective.

I have been asked from time to time when the drum corps activity might cease to exist. My answer is simple; when the passion to preserve the collective interest and consideration for all who wish to participate goes away. I frankly do not see that happening any time soon.

Now, I realize many fans and participants want all the facts of what has taken place and want to dissect every word of every statement to get to the truth. Certainly, I respect the passion held by them. They too are concerned for the future of the drum corps experience and for that I am truly grateful. However, it is time for the corps leaders to join together, and with the DCI staff and the fans, focus on delivering the best experience to date for the amazing participants in all groups who will take the Drum Corps International stage this summer. We owe them nothing less than a magnificent experience, and we owe the volunteers and professional staff around them the support necessary to make this happen.

Although I am realistic about the depth of our governance challenges today, I am confident we will endure and emerge an even stronger organization. Thank you for your continued support of the drum corps experience and the cooperative fraternity of its member organizations, Drum Corps International.

Most Sincerely,

Dan Acheson

Executive Director/CEO

Drum Corps International

Marching Music's Major League™

That is probably the single greatest thing to come out of this. Every person ont his site cares about drum corps. And no matter what their views, they want to see it live. That is great. The trick is actually figuring out a way so drum corps can live forever.

And I think this will help out this summer A LOT.

And as much a sour taste is in my mouth right now from the G7 (or 6/6.5.. whatever), I'll still applaud. It won't change the fact that I don't approve the character that was just revealed from these corps.

A corps' character, IMO, isn't necessarily defined just by the actions of a director or even the board at any given time. (Just as some currently argue that the character of DCI, as a whole, isn't necessarily defined by a certain group of corps.) Which is why those two facets periodically change in their make-up. I think that the corps, proper, is bigger than the sum of its individual parts. (And some of the choices those parts occasionally make.) For instance, there may be other members and alumni, such as myself, that may not be crazy about the idea either. I don't see the corps in a different light-- just certain people involved with it. (Though I'm still witholding my full opinion until I see the full details of the proposal and how this all went down.)

A corps' character, IMO, isn't necessarily defined just by the actions of a director or even the board at any given time. (Just as some currently argue that the character of DCI, as a whole, isn't necessarily defined by a certain group of corps.) Which is why those two facets periodically change in their make-up. I think that the corps, proper, is bigger than the sum of its individual parts. (And some of the choices those parts occasionally make.) For instance, there may be other members and alumni, such as myself, that may not be crazy about the idea either. I don't see the corps in a different light-- just certain people involved with it. (Though I'm still witholding my full opinion until I see the full details of the proposal and how this all went down.)

Yes, your point is valid- don't get me wrong here. But also consider this statement told to me in a director's clinic many years ago by Mel Stratton, who worked with BD, ran the California Dons, and also took Clovis HS to a BoA class Championship-

"The group must reflect the personality of its director if it is to succeed."

In other words, you have to shape things around you as much as possible. Build your team according to your vision and ideas. I guess a corollary would be that you hope the director is a person of good character and with a good vision as well.

I was one of 6 directors of a HS Band over a 5-year space because that program did not understand this concept and forced the directors to accept a lot of things that would be unacceptable for most of us to accept, such as being a director with no effective creative control or input over the program yet taking the responsibility for the program's inevitable failure in the end.

No, you can't blame a corps staff or membership for the actions of the director, but also keep in mind that any effective director is also shaping and molding the group according to their vision and goals, so one would think they buy into that vision if they choose to belong to said organization. :tongue:

Edited by BigW

I'm late to the party. So sue me.

"At the center of the proposal is a detailed plan to feature DCI’s top acts, while sustaining the structure of the World Class, Drum Corps International and Tour Event Partner events that are currently in place."

Anybody on here see the detailed plan (and can prove it), or is this thread mostly wild speculation as is so often the case?

Wild speculation.

And I was hesitating posting this, but since rational discussion about this topic ended about the fourth reply to the first thread, I really don't see that it matters.... From what I understand (from MY anonymous source) it is the G7 directors who were on the board (I think 4 of the 7) who were kicked off.

Seems to me....this is more about a long term vision versus short term. Short term, is DCI sustainable? Is it making money? Will it survive? What happens if it doesn't?

Seems to me, a few corps probably asked those questions and went into self-preservation mode. The other corps probably need DCI a lot more to survive than the A(mbitious)7.

I know out in Cali, we're a bit tired of not getting corps out here. So.....SHAKE IT UP! Light a fire and let's get some movement. If this gets that ball rolling, I'm all for it.

Regarding the comment on the A7 are the top acts. It's obvious that statement is true.

Ask yourself this:

Are the stands more full when the first corps goes on, typically a Div III or Div II corps versus the last corps that is one of the A7?

Is that not an indicator of what people really want to see. The earlier corps if the shows are local are mostly supporters and some fans. Obviously not all the fans come to watch the early corps........or the show would be as full at the beginning as the end.

Argue the merits why that's wrong, I won't respond. The reality is....look at the stands and the answer is there.

I keep asking this and get no response and keep in mind this is still a Thurs and Sun thing only.

1) How is the G7 going on it's own going to ADD new shows? They're still taking away from the DCI shows that are put on those nights.

2) How will this help CA get shows? If the corps tour is no where new the West Coast, the corps aren't going to hop on their buses and drive the CA and then drive back.

3) Yes more people are in the stands for the top corps as compared to the non-tops. BUT... if you have an all top corps shows how many more bodies will be there? I say not that many more as they are already there.

Back to your first sentnece, if G7 is concerned about long term survival and thinks it's outside of DCI the go outside of DCI now or at least admit it in your press releases. I totally distrust and will not support anything done behind peoples backs. And doing it with young people as pawns is reprehensible.

Edited by JimF-LowBari