Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

To Post #30.

You are on the money. The G7 are not the show. I would gladly pay to see the Troopers, Boston, and Madison compete. In my mind, that's a great show. Maybe reduced ticket prices would bring more fans to the gates? Instead, many seem to be falling into the logic that only bigger is better. As the price of tickets has increased, the price PER FAMILY has gone up dramatically. Bring the little kids and they will get hooked.

Vito

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Post #30.

You are on the money. The G7 are not the show. I would gladly pay to see the Troopers, Boston, and Madison compete. In my mind, that's a great show. Maybe reduced ticket prices would bring more fans to the gates? Instead, many seem to be falling into the logic that only bigger is better. As the price of tickets has increased, the price PER FAMILY has gone up dramatically. Bring the little kids and they will get hooked.

Vito

Are there currently any shows that offer lower admission price for children 10(or whatever age) and under?

Guys,

Will you all please just cut this out? Honestly, saying that this is killing drum corps. If you would please actually read the proposal, it does not say anywhere that these corps will be leaving DCI behind, all that is says is that these 7 corps will be adding more shows to their schedule just for them, (snip)

:tongue:

You don't have the "proposal" either. What you are reading is a press release that differs from the "proposal" in two important ways:

1. Backpedaling from commandeering all Friday/Sunday shows to "only adding shows".

2. Concealing the details of the hostile takeover of DCI (i.e. voting rights, money, firing DCI's CEO and half the staff, CrownTickets taking over DCI ticketing, YEA! taking over event management, System Blue taking over DCI clinics) under the euphemism "administrative points".

Civil? If these conversations are what you consider civil, I am not quite sure if I would like to see what you consider to be out-of-hand and non-civil. I think that this whole thing about not supporting the top 7 corps is the exact opposite of civil.

And the G7 describing the non-G7 corps as "filler"....how civil is that?

Are there currently any shows that offer lower admission price for children 10(or whatever age) and under?
I'm not sure if DCI offers discount ticket prices for seniors or underage children, however I would'nt be suprised if they charged admission for the fetus of pregnant women....

I'm thinking maybe the Ambitious Seven are looking to Friday & Sunday to wrap-around already existing "major" events. The existing big weekend shows already come with a large audience most willing to pay for something additional nearby, 24 hours before, or after.

And the rub for me Fred is: What will the new event be? If something like a clinic it would be an new kind of experience for the audience. If it's another competition then that could impact (IOW decrease) the audience at the already scheduled competition. I'm picturing people thinking "Top DCI corps only or top plus others, just a different night". If they pick one show over the other than the two competitions are fighting each other for the audience money.

And what if the G7 show has a ticket price lower than the regually scheduled DCI show?

I'm picturing DCI LOSING shows in the future this way. And this helps the activity???????

Edited by JimF-LowBari

And the G7 describing the non-G7 corps as "filler"....how civil is that?
Almost relegates the "other" corps to the same status as Hamburger Helper...

I'm not sure if DCI offers discount ticket prices for seniors or underage children, however I would'nt be suprised if they charged admission for the fetus of pregnant women....

This is mostly off topic in regards to the G7 stuff, but discount prices for children (or even free admission for under 3) seems like a very easy step to take that would bring in new fans who will someday pay full ticket prices, and old fans who are turned off by the high cost of taking their family to events. Like Vito said earlier, bring the kids and they'll get hooked.

Edit: Forgot whose response i was responding to.

Edited by C4T

My question is this: If say the Madison Scouts, or Pioneer, or any of the other non-G7 corps win DCI in any given year, or begin to crack the top 5 consistently, will that corps then be included in the G7 replacing one of the current G7 corps?

No.

At the same time, if any of these original G7 corps fell back in the pack (significantly, like out of finals, and consistently, several seasons in a row) would they be removed from the G(n)? If the corps had to not field a show for a season, would they forfeit a spot in the G7?

Historical precedent suggests that if a G7 corps gets to that point where they aren't pulling their own weight, the others will consider that corps to be "filler" and throw them under the bus. More money for the G7 G6 corps when it only has to be split six ways.

I think Bluecoats would be the first victim....or Phantom Regiment, if they don't get their visual program back to state-of-the-art.