• yay
    • nay
  2. 2. 2

• yay
    • nay
  3. 3. 3

• yay
    • nay

I'd just like to gauge the DCP opinion up or down on each line item of the proposal based on the information provided and not "well if they change this and that maybe I'd support it". Each line is Marked with a number and corresponding poll question.

Each item is taken from anything I can get my hands on and is not, and likely will never be, complete. But here are the "highlights" as seen on the SCV website plus.

First 3.

1: A plan to create a series of special events in addition to the usual competitive DCI schedule throughout the year, and feature Drum Corps International's "top acts" in fully produced big stadium shows. These events would include pre-show and post show activity, instant encores, interactive warm- up zones and fan participation in the judging process.

2: An open-ended suggestion to reduce the DCI infrastructure to find additional fiscal support for all member drum corps.

3: While continuing to service our ardent and supportive fan and alumni base, the group suggested a plan to better marry drum corps to scholastic music in the hope of supporting arts education, while at the same time generating an interested spectator base for the drum corps activity.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First 3.

1: A plan to create a series of special events in addition to the usual competitive DCI schedule throughout the year, and feature Drum Corps International's "top acts" in fully produced big stadium shows. These events would include pre-show and post show activity, instant encores, interactive warm- up zones and fan participation in the judging process.

2: An open-ended suggestion to reduce the DCI infrastructure to find additional fiscal support for all member drum corps.

3: While continuing to service our ardent and supportive fan and alumni base, the group suggested a plan to better marry drum corps to scholastic music in the hope of supporting arts education, while at the same time generating an interested spectator base for the drum corps activity.

I thought the regionals were already "Special Events".

I've watched rehearsal sessions quietly and afterwards, talked to staff, jad questions, etc. and they were really great.

And as for 'marrying' scholastic music- it's been a massively incestuous relationship since the late '60's when the first Drum Corps vets who also had music degrees and became band directors started to compete in some of the first band contest and clocked just about every non-corps style band out there. Corps people go work with bands left and right.

Now if you're looking to attract more interest from band kids, the interest has been there, but most kids don't frankly have the money or desire to make the commitment to the activity.

Directors already take kids to shows, to rehearsals, to camps, clinics, so on and so forth. These things are already being done IMHO.

Find fiscal support for all corps.-- will the G7 be willing to share revenues with the others, even though they're providing the spectacle and the work? If they are, a cynic would say it's an attempt to buy off the other corps to get them to support the idea. Knowing the details of the latest UPS/Teamster contract where pretty much UPS bought Teamster support for the contract with several billion dollars to get the Teamsters to take over the full-timer's pension fund, etc., this isn't an off the wall thought.

Eh- there's something else underlying everything here. Something doesn't really feel right at all about much of this.

The proposals you have listed only have true meaning when put into the proper context:

Prop 1. The G7 want this weekend extravaganza to be exclusive to the G7.

Prop 2. Member Corps do not include Open Class, in which the G7 want to pull support.

Prop 3. The G7 want to implement Woodwinds as a way to marry drum corps to scholastic music.

"Lovesmesomemello", you sir, are a steely-eyed missle man! Great idea to lay it out like this...bravo! :tongue:

"Marry drum corps to scholastic music in the hope of supporting arts education"

Been a YEA! Goal from day one. Mixed results. Gonna :tongue:

Being someone who has taught, most school boards and administrators have no real appreciation for the arts and their value no matter how much one tries to reason with them and present facts and data. I've given up on that end- unless you're fortunate enough to have someone on the Board or Admin who was or is a musician. Then and only then do you have the support.

Nice idea, beautiful dream, but even when someone like Hoppy has manfully gone into school board meetings to passionately support school music and fight the good fight (Hey- I will back the guy as well as toss a brick where deserved!) it's fallen on deaf ears and massively blank, drooling stares from the mouth-breathers that think football fields are to play football on.

So-- why are they wasting their energy- Not worth their time. Again, there's more to this all.

The proposals you have listed only have true meaning when put into the proper context:

Prop 1. The G7 want this weekend extravaganza to be exclusive to the G7.

Prop 2. Member Corps do not include Open Class, in which the G7 want to pull support.

Prop 3. The G7 want to implement Woodwinds as a way to marry drum corps to scholastic music.

Thank you. Saved me from typing this exactly.

Can't vote when the context is missing.

Well, then, let us know when you actually have the proposal. That rainbows-and-unicorns press release on the G6 websites isn't it.

It is what it is. If anyone has a copy of the full 60 page thing, I'd love to see it.

The problem with this poll is it asks us to vote on the ends, without consideration of the means

It is what it is. If anyone has a copy of the full 60 page thing, I'd love to see it.

I wouldn't be so sure of that.