2010 Blue Devils Show announcement

OK - I'd never heard of City of Glass...so, I hop over to good 'ol Youtube...and there it is -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1F_L8IojuA

YIKES! I've played far more than my share of Schoenberg...and Graettinger could be the love child he had with Alma Mahler...or perhaps Hedy Lamar (Schoenberg lived quite a long time in LA...) - and that's what this sounds quite a lot like - 2nd Viennese school meets progressive jazz. I'm just about to the 4 minute mark, and while I'm liking it, I'm wondering if drum corps fans will like it. Perhaps this part is not going to be part of the BD show...

Here's another clip from the album:

I'd love to know what y'all think about this...

I have to be honest here but that sounds horrible... like nails on a chalkboard. I'm not experienced in music so this opinion is probably meh to the more experienced.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... was blown away at 1) how good the hornline sounded this early (even for BD)...

I'd like to second this comment. The corps only played a short section of the show at the preview, but they sounded remarkable. If it hadn't been so cool in Concord last weekend, I would have thought it was already July (late July). Then again...they were standing still... :tongue:

OK - I'd never heard of City of Glass...so, I hop over to good 'ol Youtube...and there it is -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1F_L8IojuA

YIKES! I've played far more than my share of Schoenberg...and Graettinger could be the love child he had with Alma Mahler...or perhaps Hedy Lamar (Schoenberg lived quite a long time in LA...) - and that's what this sounds quite a lot like - 2nd Viennese school meets progressive jazz. I'm just about to the 4 minute mark, and while I'm liking it, I'm wondering if drum corps fans will like it. Perhaps this part is not going to be part of the BD show...

Here's another clip from the album:

I'd love to know what y'all think about this...

"It's Hedley!"

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

On-topic: Talking to a BD staff member, I was told that they are trying to get back to the hard hitting jazz that they know the crowd wants. The want people to "feel BD" again. So, I am happy to say that I am pumped for this show. :tongue:

,"It's Hedley!".

classic...

So...in honor of his name sake (Hedy...not HEADLEY), I remind folks of this amazing story of Hedy and avant garde composer George Antheil collaborating to invent a torpedo guidance system:

http://www.inventions.org/culture/female/lamarr.html

I've pasted the relevant portions below - I've always found this amazing...but then I realized it's because of the same prejudices that led me to be impressed by Susan Boyle...

He met Hedy Lamar in the summer of 1940, when they were neighbors in Hollywood and she approached him witha question about glands: She wanted to know how she could enlarge her breasts. In time the conversation came around to weapons, and Lamarr told Antheil that she was contemplating quitting MGM and moving to Washington, D.C., to offer her services to the newly established National Inventors Council.

They began talking about radio control for torpedoes. The idea itself was not new, but her concept of "frequency hopping" was. Lamarr brought up the idea of radio control. Antheil's contribution was to suggest the device by which synchronization could be achieved. He proposed that rapid changes in radio frequencies could be coordinated the way he had coordinated the sixteen synchronized player pianos in his Ballet Méanique. The analogy was complete in his mind: By the time the two applied for a patent on a "Secret Communication System," on June 10, 1941, the invention used slotted paper rolls similar to player-piano rolls to synchronize the frequency changes in transmitter and receiver, and it even called for exactly eighty-eight frequencies, the number of keys on a piano.

Lamarr and Antheil worked on the idea for several months and then, in December 1940, sent a description of it to the National Inventors Council, which had been launched with much fanfare earlier in the year as a gatherer of novel ideas and inventions from the general public. Its chairman was Charles F. Kettering, the research director of General Motors. Over its lifetime, which lasted until 1974, the council collected more than 625,000 suggestions, few of which ever reached the patent stage. But according to Antheil, Kettering himself suggested that he and Lamarr develop their idea to the point of being patentable. With the help of an electrical engineering professor from the California Institute of Technology they ironed out its bugs, and the patent was granted on August 11, 1942. It specified that a high-altitude observiation plane could steer the torpedo from above.

By Kenton Standards, Bob Graettinger is by far the most obtuse and eccentric composer that ever wrote for him. Very controversial. Even Bill Russo, likely the second next-most obtuse Kenton composer, (likely best known for his composition "This is an Orchestra!") disliked Graettinger's compositions intensely.

This "Innovations Orchestra" period was pretty avant garde/experimental- using French Horns and a string section, etc.

A lot of people aren't warmed up to this era- exceptions being the pieces written for Maynard Ferguson and Conte Candoli that were titled for them- it isn't popular.

Now, "Los Suerte", using the later Neophonic Orchestra (aka the "Mellophone Band"), much, mucch more popular, esp amongst Drum Corps freaks.

So even by Kenton standards, the music chosen for this show is very dissonant. Compare it to his 70's bands- a total shift in harmonic techniques and intrumentation as well. Not as familiar with the Rugolo selections (kudos to BD for finding stuff a Kenton junkie like myself doesn't have LOL), but I have a guess they're much more accessible than Graettinger. The "Incident in Jazz" piece I believe will be very much in the traditional mold of BD- it's a fine work that if it's done right should land a few hard blows to your jaw when they put the horns into the stands and cut loose on the shouts.

I've always thought BD should build the City of Glass on the field and explore it with us when I first heard the album and read the liner around 1983-4. The original 10 inch liner notes were really wonderful to read- unfortunately an ex owns that album and I don't- unless I made off with it. Will look in a couple of weeks and see if I did take it and will ttype it out if I do. It's about time BD paid a visit to a unique Kenton landscape- could be a really neat program if we're fortunate. :tongue:

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to say here but you seem to have mixed up a few things. La Suerte, Neophonic, and Mellophone Band are all from different Kenton Eras, which your statement seems to have mixed up.

“La Suerte de Los Tontas” was recorded in 1956 on the Cuban Fire Album. It was a studio recording concept album. The piece the Cuban Fire Suite was written as one continuous suite of music with 7 movements. The 7th never made it on the original album release due simiply to space issues. The 7th movement was included on CD re-release after Stan’s Death. The recording used French Horns. No Mellphones here. BTW … The Lead Trumpet on the recording was “Dalton Smith”. He did the recording playing a “Bach 1C”.

The Mellophone band existed from 60-63. There is significantly shortened rendition of the Cuban Fire Suite (only three Movements) that was adapted for Mellophones. It was played a few times on a tour of Europe. It is on a live album recorded in England. It was done to try and bring the Cuban Fire Suite back to life which never happened.

The Los Angeles Neophonic Orchestra existed for only a short period of time. It was a "concert hall" orchestra that never really caught on with the public. It present only 11 concerts in over 1965, 1966 and one concert in 1968 before being disbanded due to high cost. There is one official studio recording of the Orchestra. There are also two "unoffical" dual CD’s for the Orchestra recorded live. The CD's were created from live recordings found stored in a New York Studio years after Kenton Died. They were sold privately off a Web site (not sure if they are still around) The quality of the orignal was not the greatest (Musical Performace was not the best).

This orchestra never performed or recorded Graettinger, Cuban Fire, nor any of the Mellophonium touring band music. The performances included original composition from the noted Hollywood Orchestral, Movie, Film, and TV composers of that era. A few of the noted composers include Hugo Montenegro, Lalo Schifren, Clare Fisher, Nelson Riddle, John Williams, Oliver Nelson, and Don Ellis to name a few.

Edited by RASOP1

"It's Hedley!"

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

On-topic: Talking to a BD staff member, I was told that they are trying to get back to the hard hitting jazz that they know the crowd wants. The want people to "feel BD" again. So, I am happy to say that I am pumped for this show. :thumbup:

I would love to "FEEL" BD again! :tongue:

I'll be there soon. House shopping with sis, UFC gym in Concord then BD practice in Mars. (with an open mind)

<Hugo Montenegro>

Ah yes - the composer of that quite famous drum corps tune (lifted from the very Neophonic album of which you speak):

Fanfare for the New (Sandra Opie's Kansas kids..., Guardsmen, BD)

How can one forget the Anaheim Kingsmen they did it 1st in 1969!

Hugo Montenegro also did a a Jazz Arrangment of "Hall of the Mountain King". The album was titled "Bongos and Brass". This was a popular Drum Corps tune: The Blue Stars (68, 69, 74), Cavaliers (68,69), US Marine Corps DB (72), Freelancers (87) and Madison Scouts (98) all played a Montenegro version of the tune. These are the ones I know for sure. Many other corps have played Mountain King but I am not sure the orgins of their versions. FYI ... the Blue Stars, and Marine Corps versions were arranged by Col. truman Crawford.

The album also contains a Spetacular Arrangement of "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue". Madison Scouts 74 and 75 Slaughter on 10th had it roots in the Montenegro Arrangement.

Edited by RASOP1

I would love to "FEEL" BD again! :tongue:

I'll be there soon. House shopping with sis, UFC gym in Concord then BD practice in Mars. (with an open mind)

Fred, you make me sick.............................with jealousy! :thumbup:

Don't trip over one of those mirrors....break it.....and you're in for 7 years of G7!