In light of the elitism

But they sure don't hesitate to take them, do they?

Why should they?

I also marched pre-DCI and I can tell you, we would rather take a beating than to change corps. Loyalty means a lot in drum corps and there isn't much of it around today.

and we finally get to the heart of the matter. You just don't want people switching corps.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But they sure don't hesitate to take them, do they? I also marched pre-DCI and I can tell you, we would rather take a beating than to change corps. Loyalty means a lot in drum corps and there isn't much of it around today.

You know, I wasn't going to go this route, but I feel the need to do so. It's not ALL about loyalty. You have to also look at some of the staff of some of these corps. If the staff is not doing what it needs to do to retain these kids, then those kids are going to go where they think they will be appreciated and rewarded for the work they do. So I say, if you want a person to be loyal to your corps, you should make sure you do everything in your power to keep that member in the corps. There are many members who choose to stay in a specific corps because they love what the corps is about, they love the tradition, they love what the staff does to keep them there. And when a kid finds they can't have that in that corps, they'll move on until they can find it. And it happens in the top corps as well. Some people leave one top-tier corps only to march a different top-tier corps because they feel they will have a better experience there.

At the beginning of the thread, I proposed an "average age" rule. Nothing to do with letting 14 year olds march. The idea is that 14 year olds are eligible, under DCI rules. Never were quotas mentioned, either.

An Average Age Rule "is" a form of quota; Why? Because to get an average age of 18, you have to only allow a certain percentage of people of a certain age group to perform in your corps'. (all 100% = 18y), (50% 19y + 50% 17y), (%25 16y + %25 17y + %25 19y + %25 20y). Each corps' would have different percentages for each age group in their individual corps to reach the average age of 18y, but they would be "self imposed quotas" nontheless.

Edited by Stu

I marched pre-DCI...there were never a number of dozen corps who had a decent shot at winning Nationals...really no more corps than today had a decent shot at winning it all.

I agree, Mike.

I got my start in that era, too. If by "Nationals" we're talking about AL and VFW Nationals..... which were, IMO, the de facto national title shows (in my opinion, the VFW show was THE national title show).... then you're right, it always seemed to be a relative handful of corps at or near the top...serious contenders for a title... each year, compared to the amount of corps participating in those championship shows.

Fran

An Average Age Rule "is" a form of quota; Why? Because to get an average age of 18, you have to only allow a certain percentage of people of a certain age group to perform in your corps'. (all 100% = 18y), (50% 19y + 50% 17y), (%25 16y + %25 17y + %25 19y + %25 20y). Each corps' would have different percentages for each age group in their individual corps to reach the average age of 18y, but they would be "self imposed quotas" nontheless.

OMG, I almost freaked out with all those equations... :tongue:

Why should they?

and we finally get to the heart of the matter. You just don't want people switching corps.

That isn't true. There are many reasons for a kid to change corps and many of them are valid. I was just making a point from my own personal experience.

Of course they are going to take them. They're already trained. So the point is -- the G7 has made much of its reputation on the backs of other corps who trained the kids. There was another thread of what percentage of kids in the top corps started their drum corps experience somewhere else. The percentages were astounding. Wish I could remember the thread but I'm sure if you have an interest in the facts, you can find it.

But they sure don't hesitate to take them, do they? I also marched pre-DCI and I can tell you, we would rather take a beating than to change corps. Loyalty means a lot in drum corps and there isn't much of it around today.

I marched with three corps as I moved up the ladder...a parade corps, a Garden State class 'B' field corps, and then Garfield. That sort of movement was VERY common back then. One reason the town of Garfield did not support us very much is that so many came to march from smaller corps all over the tri-state area...same applied to Blessed Sac, the Muchachos, St Lucy's...etc. I knew lots of kids who switched to those corps, and later to Bayonne when they became a top corps.

Exactly my extreme point from earlier, but with lots more numbers and symbols :tongue:

I marched with three corps as I moved up the ladder...a parade corps, a Garden State class 'B' field corps, and then Garfield. That sort of movement was VERY common back then. One reason the town of Garfield did not support us very much is that so many came to march from smaller corps all over the tri-state area...same applied to Blessed Sac, the Muchachos, St Lucy's...etc. I knew lots of kids who switched to those corps, and later to Bayonne when they became a top corps.

Back in those days, there also was a lot of "moving up" to a senior corps, particularly in the NY metro area/Northeast, where for a while senior corps ruled the roost to some extent.

Fran

That's quite different than moving from one world class corps to another. Again, there are valid reasons why a kid will want to change corps and that's ok. My beef is with the G7 who have built their reputations using many members trained by other corps and then saying that they are "the act". That is the reason I started the thread.