The OFFICIAL Phantom Regiment Thread

I did not like the guard in 2008. I thought the guy's looked like they were wearing go-go boots and the women all looked like Lucy and Ethyl stopping on grapes.

lol

...not that the young'ns on here will get the allusion....

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, there were 8 on the field tonight with the 9th hopping in and out. The 10th was sitting on the sideline during the whole ensemble block til the rain came. There must be 2 more on their way in. The holes definitely show the spots for them.

There's nothing to worry about. To wit:

-The size of the contra line has nothing to do with placement (Only 3 of the top 6 from last year had 16).

-The size of the contra line has nothing to do with placement (unless your name is Jim Prime)

-If anyone has heard both PR and Bloo this year, it's clear which hornline has consistent balance through soft AND loud, but the judges seem compelled to put PR over Bloo in those subcaptions (IE, ENS MUSIC...granted, a lot more goes into ENS MUSIC, but when you study the sheets, and check off each area, onvm)

-As long as the synths are there to cover the contras, judges don't seem to mind.

CONCLUSION (try any or all of the following):

-Use synths

-play soft (or backfield) a lot

-Make sure Jim Prime writes ur book (his name [+DVD] must be worth 0.5 no matter the real outcome of the product...talk about CI, dayum)

PR may as well stick with 8 contras...it really doesn't F-ing matter anymore.

I'll just stay in the lot, and listen to the likes of CC, Bloo, BAC, Blue Stars and Cavies. At least for now, the synth player hasn't shown up to horn warmup...

There's nothing to worry about. To wit:

-The size of the contra line has nothing to do with placement (Only 3 of the top 6 from last year had 16).

-The size of the contra line has nothing to do with placement (unless your name is Jim Prime)

-If anyone has heard both PR and Bloo this year, it's clear which hornline has consistent balance through soft AND loud, but the judges seem compelled to put PR over Bloo in those subcaptions (IE, ENS MUSIC...granted, a lot more goes into ENS MUSIC, but when you study the sheets, and check off each area, onvm)

-As long as the synths are there to cover the contras, judges don't seem to mind.

CONCLUSION (try any or all of the following):

-Use synths

-play soft (or backfield) a lot

-Make sure Jim Prime writes ur book (his name [+DVD] must be worth 0.5 no matter the real outcome of the product...talk about CI, dayum)

PR may as well stick with 8 contras...it really doesn't F-ing matter anymore.

I'll just stay in the lot, and listen to the likes of CC, Bloo, BAC, Blue Stars and Cavies. At least for now, the synth player hasn't shown up to horn warmup...

:blink:

I think you're right.

they don't use the synth nearly as much as you're suggesting.

I didn't exactly suggest it for PR 2010, although it's in this thread. I'm using it more as a rant jumping point.

And I was hoping someone would take the bait...you're right! And you can't hear the contras on any loud impact when they're behind the back hash, facing front.

Which just adds credence to my point, that it doesn't F-ing matter.

Ouch.

Sorry, but the 0.5 tenths comes from being able to finish a phrase as a hornline here and there. ;)

Who cares about the numbers. It what you do with what you got.

Time to start a "Fire Rick Subel" page on facebook.

Anything in particular that led to this post? Just curious.

Along those lines, how do we expect scores to change when the judging panel increases? A corps like PR will surely get hurt by CG scores, but will brass scores cancel that out? Do we expect scores to stay on this same relative trend after the panel increases?