Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

I'm still not seeing what's in this for the almost G7 corps (Blue Stars, Boston, Glassmen, Troopers, Colts, BK).

To quote myself from Part 1 of this thread.

35 shows, minus finals week, minus 3 regionals (Atlanta, San Antonio, Normal) = 29 shows.

Now we know some pay #'s.

Current system - $2600 / show x 29 "local" events = $75,400.

Proposed system - $3000 / show x 21 = $63,000.

So purely in payout, Boston's getting asked to take a 12k hit, but with only a minimal decrease in touring (corps still has to get from point A to point B). And if we want to get even more cynical, Boston already marches a full corps - what does more band kids interested in the Blue Devils do to help Boston's merchandising sales or recruiting?

I'm still looking for the hook - how was this vote by the old Exec. Board expected to stick?

Mike

excellent points and ties in to what I said. to get to all of the shows they are allowed to go to, there is still the costs of housing, food gas etc.....and now they are asked to do it with $12k less in income

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is very apparent that you learned very little during the 1 year you spent with the Surf or 1 year spent at Crossmen.

Yes but just like Cadets are doing what they need to do to raise the money, those corps can do the same. Hell, I remember when I marched Surf, we had a "Wawa" day in which we had to stand in front of the entrance of a Wawa gas station and basically beg for money. You have to do what you have to do to raise money. I don't believe a corps should have to raise money only to give it to someone else.

except with schools cutting costs all the time, i cant see an administrator giving a corps free rent. in fact i can easily see the administrators cutting the band program first

free rent is determined by the local Tour Event Partner. It's the TEP that negotiates the housing costs. The corps don't pay the bill. It is added to the negative side of the ledger just like the fees paid to DCI to have the show. The TEP is responsible for getting enough butts in the seats to pay the costs but if he doesn't it's his loss. Not DCI's. The corps don't get a bill for housing costs.

At our show the school district provides all of it's schools for our use so long as we make "profit" deposits to the field maintenance fund every year.

It's our challenge to market the show each year to fill the seats and earn back the up-front costs we paid to run the show. If we don't make it, we lose. Not DCI and not the corps.

It is very apparent that you learned very little during the 1 year you spent with the Surf or 1 year spent at Crossmen.

If it involves working to pay for someone else, I'm glad I didn't learn that. I'd rather work to pay for my own.

Edited by 2000Cadet

Let's add onto this the fact that most serious band programs now require "tour fees" of their own, or some sort of participation fee from the student.

Even in a good economic environment, casting about for that money is a difficult proposition. . . .are we really hoping to lure kids into the G7 in the future as just a chance to be a part of " a really good marching band"?

Outstanding!!!!! logic. Perfectly said.

This IS the point.

but it is, because this is the guy that led DCI from the depths of hell in the mid 90's, and despite all of the changes the BOD pushed thru have hurt the buesiness ( aka attendance is down), he's the one guy in the room everybody trusted to try and do the right thing.

By the same token, it's the legitimate business of the Board of Directors to hire and fire the executive staff. If the old board wanted to replace Dan, that was their prerogative. If the new board wants to retain him, that's also their prerogative. It's their job to make decisions like that, and anyone in Dan's position knows that's the score.

A proposal that completely redefines the membership and governance of DCI is a big deal and deserves to be controversial. A BoD decision to change executives might be wrong, but it shouldn't be controversial in the same way.

Pretty close. The G7 proposal was made. There was a vote by the Board to ask for further development of the proposal and to re-present it at the next scheduled meeting in July.

The next item thing to happen - the Board went into executive session to discuss personnel.

There was no discussion of the proposal before the vote for the further developlment and another presentation?

That's where I'd imagine thing got hot....

Anyway sounds like you have a pipeline to a board member !

For:

Cadets

BD

Crown

SCV

Bluecoats

Phantom

Pac Crest

Academy

Mandarins?

BK?

Against:

Cavaliers

Madison

BAC

Pioneer

Spirit

Crossmen

Cascades

Blue Stars

Glassmen

Troopers

Teal Sound

Jersey Surf

It fails (10-12) in this scenario.

uh...cavaliers are in G7, that makes 11-11

Edited by Baritone13

Whatever you do, don't burn your BD T-Shirts...Us greedy, elitest G7 Sons-a-#####es need to stick together! Perhaps even back to back....armed! By the way, I don't know about you, but being around these boards the last few days after the G7 took "it" out, makes me feel like I'm in the last scene of "Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid".

Great chuckle. :tongue:

Out of curiosity, do any of these corps ask any of the top corps for their help? This is a sincere question so don't take it any other way.

Maybe answered later (I'm catching up). But what do you mean by "help"?

(picture's fixed. Thanks!)