What the DCI BOD/ WC corps has already done regarding G7 proposal

I'm going to make a general statement that will probably get me blown out of here but hey that's ok I've seen worse. First let me say I am including myself in this. In all our infinite wisdom, all our experience, all our skills in running the show , all our knowledge of the past as well as the future, unless we are DIRECTLY involved as a staff person, Director, member or whatever, Is this all plain and simply none of our business. Should our role be to go , or not, and enjoy or not. We have all the answers to the business issues here but also music, show design, and maybe even if we dare serve mustard with the hot dogs at the concession stands.

This is no insult to any poster, concerned parent , volunteer, legacy fan or anyone. I was just thinking about this ( Yes even as I posted stuff myself )

Is this THEIR time ? Things will change G7 or not, that is a fact. I've tried to separate myself as a staff person and everything else I may do in this activity but I had to stop and wonder a bit...Just a thought...No flames please . :ph34r:

i think you can look at it this way... I guess in response I would just say that without us, the fans who watch drum corps, the activity will no longer exist. By "us" I mean all the fans, not just people who post on DCP. I would also say that many people here will be directly involved with one corps or another on the summer tour... hosting a show, teaching a corps, donating their money, or donating their time.

We have passionate feelings because we care. :guinesssmilie:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know -- I'm sure there are lots of BOD meetings where it can get outrageously heated and never see the light of day. I mean you can always spin the BOD shakeup in a press release. :guinesssmilie:

Maybe DCP catches wind of these things because there are more connected/involved people than you think. Why did audiodb continually ask for proof that DCI was in trouble financially? Maybe because he knew, or at least was close to sure, that there wasn't any? BOBSMYTH also posted up the new board before it was made public. Jeff Ream knew something about the G7 proposal prior to any public knowledge of what really happened. Even I caught wind of it. DCP is made up of more than fans, I can assure you of that. Anything monumental that happens will at the very least be whispered around, and if it sounds bad enough, those whispers will get very loud very quickly, as they did in this case. I think you're downplaying the whole incident far too much, but what do I know.

You're admittedly just making suppositions so this *is* just your opinion. The PPT says 'we need to take action' -- that's really about all it says.

I "get" how and why you're getting to where you're getting. I'd also like to point out that (to me at least) it looks as if this PPT presentation was created , edited, and presented by just one of the G7 :ph34r: . It certainly doesn't look as if it's been passed around to the rest of the G7 (it surely would have been cleaned up at least a little). So...let's wait and see if the *entire* G7 puts out a coherent response to events.

The power point also paints a picture of doom for DCI...surely the G7 were fully aware of the finances of DCI (as the public now is). And if they were not, how could they possibly suggest such staggering changes without even attempting to do their due diligence?

And the entire G7 made a public statement when they tried to get out in front of this mess by putting Fiedler's write-up on each of their websites. Also, if they weren't on board with it, why did only the Cavaliers make an attempt to distance themselves from it (and why did the DCW article mention specifically the Cavaliers had concerns prior to that statement)? They knew the job was dangerous when they took it. You're kidding yourself if you think they just said "yeah ok George, do what you want and we'll sign off on it".

Another comment... Any one of the directors in the G7 group has more knowledge of running a corps in his pinky than all of us combined. These guys aren't yard birds - they see something wrong with DCI, and they're proposing a means to fix it. Perhaps only some of the proposal is good, which I believe Mike New is getting at in his related thread, but it represents the collective thoughts of seven guys who successfully operate large organizations and apparently see something in a larger organization that is failing.

Sorry, that tactic doesn't work anymore. The sky is not falling.

One more comment... Anyone ever tried to get something you want by first asking for something bigger, then "settling" for the smaller thing you wanted in the first place? Maybe the G7 is focused on certain aspects of the proposal, but asking for the moon so that those certain aspects seem reasonable. If Hopkins had asked for corps be allowed to throw hand grenades into the audience and also for the use of electronics, maybe electronics wouldn't have been so bad... :)

I see. So the mugger demanding your wallet really just wants change for a five?

The power point also paints a picture of doom for DCI...surely the G7 were fully aware of the finances of DCI (as the public now is). And if they were not, how could they possibly suggest such staggering changes without even attempting to do their due diligence?

Pure greed. They just want more money is all. They were probably fully aware of what the DCI plan proposed, but their pay increases just weren't enough for them.

And the entire G7 made a public statement when they tried to get out in front of this mess by putting Fiedler's write-up on each of their websites.

And note that the G7 press release had none of that "sky is falling" nonsense in it. That's another reason I question just how many directors are on board with the PowerPoint's first 48 pages. Could be seven....could be one....could be anywhere in between.

G7 directors would be wise to formally distance themselves from the proposal as soon as possible. Those who don't could be seen as condoning the misrepresentations embedded in that proposal document.

And note that the G7 press release had none of that "sky is falling" nonsense in it. That's another reason I question just how many directors are on board with the PowerPoint's first 48 pages. Could be seven....could be one....could be anywhere in between.

G7 directors would be wise to formally distance themselves from the proposal as soon as possible. Those who don't could be seen as condoning the misrepresentations embedded in that proposal document.

well....can you blame the G7 for not talking publicly about the power and money grab?

if the rest of it had never come out and that's all that was released, there is 1/10000000th the concern/drama/outrage that we've seen.

it's smart PR...put out the good stuff, hide the bad

From what I understand, this is who was on the board at the end of last season.

Mark Arnold COB Blue Knights

Mike Kehoss Vice Chairman at large

Rick Valenzuela Secretary Phantom Regiment

George Hopkins Treasurer Cadets

Brian Setzer Rep at large

David Glasgow Rep Bluecoats

Greg Orwell Rep Colts

Jeff Fielder Rep Santa Clara

Tom French Rep at large

How this may have change since then, I'm not sure who was not on the board as of May 1st, since the voting is staggered in three year terms.

The new members that replaced the 5 recalled BOD members (3 at large and I assume David Glasgow and Rick Valenzuela) are Howard Weinstein (Blue Stars), Brian Hickman (Glassmen), Mark Stasa (at-large), and Steve Auditore (at-large). The third at-large seat will be filled next January. A special meeting will be held in June to fill the corps' seats of the two directors who resigned (George Hopkins and I assume Jeff Fiedler). Mark Arnold (Blue Knights) and Greg Orwell (Colts) are still on the board.

1) I am glad Greg is still seated on the BOD. I trust that man.

2) Why would the remaining G7 corps directors resign if it meant giving up power on BOD? Isn't that the opposite of a power-play?

Isn't it Orwoll, not Orwell?

"Orwell" gives this whole thing a different meaning. :guinesssmilie:

Fran