What the DCI BOD/ WC corps has already done regarding G7 proposal

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I had confirmation without having to go directly to Mark. But, I might as well...if true, they have lost my financial support.

It doesn't make sense to me to vote for the G7 unless you are....wait for it...one of the seven.

If Academy and Pac. Crest did vote for the G7 proposal, I would need justification as to why this decision is in the best interests in their organization.

I will return with...at least a confirmation.

Tom Brace

Come on, guys. Let's not jump to conclusions. Let's hear these corps out. Hopkins made some good points in his blog. We need to give these corps directors, BOD members, etc., some time and a platform to discuss these ideas.

I'm going to make a general statement that will probably get me blown out of here but hey that's ok I've seen worse. First let me say I am including myself in this. In all our infinite wisdom, all our experience, all our skills in running the show , all our knowledge of the past as well as the future, unless we are DIRECTLY involved as a staff person, Director, member or whatever, Is this all plain and simply none of our business. Should our role be to go , or not, and enjoy or not. We have all the answers to the business issues here but also music, show design, and maybe even if we dare serve mustard with the hot dogs at the concession stands.

This is no insult to any poster, concerned parent , volunteer, legacy fan or anyone. I was just thinking about this ( Yes even as I posted stuff myself )

Is this THEIR time ? Things will change G7 or not, that is a fact. I've tried to separate myself as a staff person and everything else I may do in this activity but I had to stop and wonder a bit...Just a thought...No flames please . :tongue:

I'm going to make a general statement that will probably get me blown out of here but hey that's ok I've seen worse. First let me say I am including myself in this. In all our infinite wisdom, all our experience, all our skills in running the show , all our knowledge of the past as well as the future, unless we are DIRECTLY involved as a staff person, Director, member or whatever, Is this all plain and simply none of our business. Should our role be to go , or not, and enjoy or not. We have all the answers to the business issues here but also music, show design, and maybe even if we dare serve mustard with the hot dogs at the concession stands.

This is no insult to any poster, concerned parent , volunteer, legacy fan or anyone. I was just thinking about this ( Yes even as I posted stuff myself )

Is this THEIR time ? Things will change G7 or not, that is a fact. I've tried to separate myself as a staff person and everything else I may do in this activity but I had to stop and wonder a bit...Just a thought...No flames please . :tongue:

I said something similar (that this was all supposed to go on behind closed doors) and the only reason there's a brouhaha here is that someone leaked it all out. I mean if all we had seen was the G7 press release and the subsequent DCI release, would all of this happened? There's a good reason lots of discussion never see the light of day -- because in the end all that matters are the things that make it to a vote.

OTOH I also believe that "sunshine is the best disinfectant" and there's a lot to be said for transparency. So -- well at least it keeps thing entertaining here :)

Edited by corpsband

I said something similar (that this was all supposed to go on behind closed doors) and the only reason there's a brouhaha here is that someone leaked it all out. I mean if all we had seen was the G7 press release and the subsequent DCI release, would all of this happened? There's a good reason lots of discussion never see the light of day -- because in the end all that matters are the things that make it to a vote.

I somehow doubt that we wouldnt have heard about something so big it caused a massive shakeup in the DCI BOD

can this now be merged in with the other new-new-new g7 threads?

I somehow doubt that we wouldnt have heard about something so big it caused a massive shakeup in the DCI BOD

I don't know -- I'm sure there are lots of BOD meetings where it can get outrageously heated and never see the light of day. I mean you can always spin the BOD shakeup in a press release. :tongue:

Actually, I'm getting closer to feeling this way.

Another comment... Any one of the directors in the G7 group has more knowledge of running a corps in his pinky than all of us combined. These guys aren't yard birds - they see something wrong with DCI, and they're proposing a means to fix it. Perhaps only some of the proposal is good, which I believe Mike New is getting at in his related thread, but it represents the collective thoughts of seven guys who successfully operate large organizations and apparently see something in a larger organization that is failing.

One more comment... Anyone ever tried to get something you want by first asking for something bigger, then "settling" for the smaller thing you wanted in the first place? Maybe the G7 is focused on certain aspects of the proposal, but asking for the moon so that those certain aspects seem reasonable. If Hopkins had asked for corps be allowed to throw hand grenades into the audience and also for the use of electronics, maybe electronics wouldn't have been so bad... :)

This is your opinion. I don't see any evidence that the G7 is close-minded about this entire thing. In fact it seems pretty clear to me that this proposal is meant as a starting point for discussion not a ready-to-adopt item.

Page 47, G7 Proposal:

If not approved –G7 to decide next steps

IOW, if they won't play ball and knuckle under, what do we do now? They'll decide what to do independtly and take matters into their own hands anyhow- that's what's implied there.

Page 48:

The G7 are committed to change. We have agreed to pursue this shift within DCI … and we are hopeful that a solution can be reached.

AND … we are agreed that in 2011 these new events need to occur; we will act as necessary to enable a change.

ï‚¡There is room for negotiation but there is not room for NO ACTION

Reading between the lines, they say they will 'negotiate', but they also imply that they hold all the cards, and they will force change in one way or another regardless of the reactions of everyone else.

I guess 'negotiations' included forcing Crest to go along with the plan by threatening to no show their contest.

They may say that the proposal is open to 'negotiation', but they're 'negotiating' like Hitler did at Munich with Daladier and Chamberlain. Hindsight and history indicates you have to stand up and fight against those who act in this way towards you, and it seems some steps have been taken to do so, for which I applaud heartily. Hopefully the resolve won't waver against the bullies.

Reading between the lines, they say they will 'negotiate',

You're admittedly just making suppositions so this *is* just your opinion. The PPT says 'we need to take action' -- that's really about all it says.

I "get" how and why you're getting to where you're getting. I'd also like to point out that (to me at least) it looks as if this PPT presentation was created , edited, and presented by just one of the G7 :tongue: . It certainly doesn't look as if it's been passed around to the rest of the G7 (it surely would have been cleaned up at least a little). So...let's wait and see if the *entire* G7 puts out a coherent response to events.