27th Lancers Reunion Corps

'92. And they gave us how many weeks to prepare? And you had to be a Kilt to march in that alumni corps. :tongue:

Same for Madison, only true alumni.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW short thread but filled with backbiting and snide comments. 27th was a standout performance and I'm putting money on Star being the same. Considering they were from two completely different eras, they won't be comparable. But I'm sure equally memorable for what they both brought to their performances when we look back on it 15 years later....

Same for Madison, only true alumni.

Santa Clara too! :tongue:

The 27th Lancers alumni corps put on a great performance........great memories......

since then, others have stepped to the plate......in my opinion, all have hit homers.....

Madison's alumni show was great........

I enjoyed Cavaliers alumni show.........

I enjoyed Anaheim's alumni show.......

To those who are "bashing" Star's alumni, please don't. Yes, they were not on the field long in comparison, but they achieved much........a championship, and a near miss..........they "graduated" some fine musicians.........Brass Theater and BLAST also came to be through Star, and has had some great cast members. I see some people are still bitter about the fact that Star had money from the get-go. Get over it. (and Bill Cook gave SO much to the activity, and helped many in times of need, without asking ANYTHING in return) All the money in the world doesn't win championships.....hard work and jelling as a team does, and Star practiced just as hard as the other competitors.

I think we can expect a fine alumni performance from them, and that is one of the reasons I am going to Indy. All of the above alumni corps succeeded in presenting their "identity", and Star, even though a shorter-lived corps, will present their identity, too.

GB

Have to agree with Liz. We love our activity & we all have our favorites but I think the chest thumping is a little much on this thread...anyway...

My favorite has to be "The Project". I was totally blown away & still put on the DVD for friends that have never seen it & they are all speechless that they pulled that off; esp when I play the terrific documentary that was filmed detailing how the corps came into being.

I marched 94 Crossmen. Being at Foxboro the night 27th came on was crazy. We were behind the stadium waiting to come in for retreat & all we could here was this wild applause that seemed to last forever. When I finally saw the video of the performance it was awesome. My sister marched Crossmen from 79-82 & I remember all of the terrific shows the Lancers had put on so to see the alumni corps do what they did was nothing short of wonderful.

In addition to have marched Crossmen, I have been in alumni corps since I began my career. My father was (always will be) an Archer-Epler Musketeer. He brought me out to every single rehearsal until I finally caved. I am a true drum corps child & everything good I have in my life has come from this activity. Archie will always be special & I don't think enough people know about their great history. Briefly (haha), they folded in 1967 & merged for a short time with the Reilly Raiders in 1968. Didn't work. Archie then decided to bring the corps back for the 1976 Bicentennial parade in Philly. Huge parade obviously. They got together a huge corps & marched in that parade during an awful storm. Typical since they had looked forward to that day! But, in 1978, the entire organization went to Roosevelt Stadium, the "Dream", & put on an exhibition as an alumni corps. What a performance. I have a cd of the show & would gladly send a couple out if anyone would desire a copy! They were awesome. I wasn't fortunate enough (too young) to have ever seen a show at Roosevelt Stadium, but ever since I was a kid all of my older drum corps buds swear it was the best of the best...

Marched Bridgemen Alumni for 3 seasons & getting the opportunity to march DCI East again was unreal. Marching up THAT hill in THAT stadium...forget about it.

Love Caballeros Alumni, love Sky, love Blessed Sacrament...I could go on & on. Looking forward to Star Alumni! I'm sure they'll leave me speechless!!!

More than all this, I love the people. They are the best. Period.

Werent Kilties the first alumni corps to perform at DCI?

As far as who the best is, your passion for 2-7 notwithstanding I'm certain everyone can make a case for their favorite Alumni corps performance. As I am certain given the Star tradition that their performance will be great. Except for El Guapo of course! :tongue:

That is because mine will be inFAMOUS.

You going to semifinals Scerp?

(I forgot SCV alumni and Kilts alumni (saw both videos but not live and enjoyed them both), and the Bridgemen alumni's East appearances (always enjoyable).....didn't want to leave anyone out, as I haven't seen one DCI alumni corps that I didn't enjoy, and hope Star alumni is great and we see more to come in the future!!

GB

As far as any corps being able to "...touch what the Lancers did...", I'm not sure anyone has suggested any alumni effort would, could, or should attempt this. But why would anyone associated with that terrific effort think it's necessary to demean or belittle the attempts of others?

Well said.

peace,

Fred O.

that DCI allows alumni corps is awesome, and every corps that has participated has done an awesome job, as I'm sure Star will do this year.

I think 27 gets a lot of love because they were the first advertised alumni project ( key words are first advertised)....too many people missed the Kilties because they didnt advertise it.

since then, everyone...27, St. Joes, Cabs, Cavies, Madison, Royal Airs, SCV, Yankee Rebels...all home runs.

as it should be. no one of those groups went out trying to outdo the others. they just went out to entertain the fans.

now to go find my bootleg tape of 27 made from the 18th row

I'm looking forward to Star Alumni. I have a hard time believing anyone associated with 27th would belittle their efforts. I competed against 2-7 1977-83 and always held them in high regard as a great corps and great competitors.

I was in MSARP06 and CAC08, both great experiences that went far beyond what was presented on the field on friday night. I applaud anyone who participates in an alumni corps of any form. It's like a piece of living history and it's a lot of fun.