Remember when...

Nope - not getting Patriotic on you - although many of you know I'm a veteran - yikes - even a war veteran as my VFW card points out - but in this case I mean... remember when Memorial Day weekend meant the first big DCA show of the year?

And the corps were ready for it?

Entire shows learned?

Guard ready?

Uniforms complete and looking good?

All the blanks filled?

Those were the day.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope - not getting Patriotic on you - although many of you know I'm a veteran - yikes - even a war veteran as my VFW card points out - but in this case I mean... remember when Memorial Day weekend meant the first big DCA show of the year?

Entire shows learned?

Guard ready?

All the blanks filled?

Those were the day.

Very true.... my first year in Sun, 1977... we had two competitions on that weekend.

My last year.... 1982... we and other DCA corps were still opening the season on Memorial Day weekend.

I'm not sure when the last year was for that tradition.

Fran

Most corps I know have their entire show on the field

Thought of it this weekend Ray. Sunday morning the thought hit me that in years past the Danville, PA (formerly Mt Carmel) exhibition show would have been the night before. And only remember one year when it was iffy that our whole drill would have been ready (was awful rainy that Spring). But that was when almost all members were within a 90 minute drive so easier to work in weekday drill practices.

Really? Guard books are complete and done and they have their complete uniform in already? Because I certainly haven't seen that in YEARS at the first show, not even speaking of Memorial Day weekend....

Jogged my memory.....back in 1976 we did a show in Canton, OH the weekend before Memorial Day and then the following weekend went to Michigan for 2 shows and back home Monday for three memorial Day parades.

i think we are talking performance ready, prepared to receive a score you can live with for the rest of the season. Not 'got the dots off the paper and on the field'.

Entire shows learned?

Guard ready?

All the blanks filled?

Those were the day.

HAHA ... was just talking with the wife over the weekend remembering the three parades we would do on Memorial Day in the Bridgeport area with the PAL Cadets, then hop on a bus to somewhere in NJ for the first show of the season in the 60's ... a very long day for sure ... we opted for some simple yard chores this year ... LOL ... in my Skyliner days, Mount Carmel was definitely first on the list of any season ... it wasn't until 1973 that Hoffman put together an impromptu exit formation due to some miserable weather ... we finshed the actual drill the next Friday night before the Hamden (Hurcs) show ...

Andy "no more parades in my contract" Lisko

Andy, how bout that stretch at the end of the season also. Today they wrap up what, early August? And I understand why, but do you recall the Penn Jersey Championship in 1963. We were battling on October 6th. BuRRRRRRRRRRRRR. And the Livingston Hilltoppers show was always mid or late September.

yo!!!!! Ray........you ARE getting up there in years......back in the olden days (I was told :cool: ) a few shows actually were held the weekend prior to Memorial Day, inasmuch as that weekend was booked with a zillion shows. Yes, it's tru that once upon a time the season did not end until some arbitrary date in October......heck even AL Nationals were in mid-September........go figure