Blue Devils New Uniforms

Lol...I don't like BD, but I sure won't bash on them.

Hopefully the uniforms are cool. The drums they're using look sweet...chrome with black hardware

dci, like any marching band competition, is inherently trapped by its conventions. "avant garde" is an irrelevant term when describing anything that any corps ever does with uniforms, and it always has been.

Depends on what you're definition of Avant-garde is. Here's the first hit on google, http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=avant-garde :

"-any creative group active in the innovation and application of new concepts and techniques in a given field (especially in the arts)

-radically new or original; 'an avant-garde theater piece'"

I think you can generally say that about the top couple of corps most years.

But I get what you're saying: we're talking about marching band (essentially). Groups who conform to a set of rules will not necessarily be considered avant-garde by the hard corps art types. But in the confines of DCI and for the sake of discussion I think that's a fair term.

with an elevated view of themselves.”

13 World Championships, not placing below 5th in over 30 years, 20+ brass titles, multiple other caption titles(not sure how many in what captions), and other things like people who won the ring with a different World Class corps choosing to age out with BD will kinda do that, don't you think?

Edited by 84BDsop

13 World Championships, not placing below 5th in over 30 years, 20+ brass titles, multiple other caption titles(not sure how many in what captions), and other things like people who won the ring with a different World Class corps choosing to age out with BD will kinda do that, don't you think?

What some people call cockiness, others call confidence. I usually like seeing that Blue Devil (and Cavaliers) "swagger", just like I enjoy the confidence from other musical groups/people who are extremely good at what they do.

These elements are absent from BD shows because they are hard, especially to clean, and BD is quite difficulty averse.

Curvilinear/asymmetrical drill is MUCH harder to clean.

a good friend of mine talks about how easy what BD does is.

don't argue with it! lol.

It's hard to keep my mouth shut when it comes to that, Lance.

but it just makes more

Wouldn't be DCP if there wasn't more. :tongue: