Blue Devils New Uniforms

On FJM's Facebook page, they had the following -

They are no stranger to creating a cutting edge look on the field, and this summer will expand upon the avant garde approach that has served them so well in the past. The image that BD will present this year will have people stunned![/quote]

Anyone heard any details as to what they're doing this summer with them? I hope the changes aren't too dramatic - I think the current uniforms (minus the leg / arm stripes) are great.

Mike

Guessing a small mirror shows up somewhere (heh, yeah, I know . . .I'm a real original thinker. :cool: )

As guard-oriented as they are, it wouldn't surprise me if it was something that the entire corps -- including the guard folks --wear in differing pieces during the course of the show.

Let's see . . .playing off the show title, maybe the corps is wearing the complete opposite of their uni, in a complementary color scheme (although that would make them the Orange Devils this year) . . .okay, scrap that idea. Heh.

Hmm, only thing I can really see is a uniform that's in a darker color palette than usual, possibly with a reflective portion on it.

Guess we're due for a surprise. . . as long as it's not along the lines of Spirit of Atlanta's "Interstellar Suite" guard outfits. :cool:

Why do corps find it necessary to change uniforms every 2 - 4 years.

Then they complain about not being able to raise enough $ since their bingo operation is going to be shut down and then want to grab $ from everyone else.

I agree. Every time I talk about the "arms race" in the top of World Class I get ignored. What does a whole new set of unis cost? Amazing.

A few seasons ago I got an email from a corps that desperately needed 5 grand for new opener flags at the begining of the season. The insinuated that without new opener flags they would be at a competitive dis-advantage. The got the money and the flags.....and dropped several places in the standings that season.

In BD's case (and for the Cavs and Crown as mentioned getting new unis too), I'm pretty sure FJM provides them at a deep discount.

As for other non G-7 corps, I'm guessing it's the trade-off for using thinner (and machine-washable) materials. You would build them thicker to last longer, but you'd likely end up with unis like the old Cadets, which are ... not fondly remembered.

Mike

Why do corps find it necessary to change uniforms every 2 - 4 years.

Then they complain about not being able to raise enough $ since their bingo operation is going to be shut down and then want to grab $ from everyone else.

I certainly don't disagree with drum corps spending within their means in order to improve their product. Why do you think it's necessary for corps to where a "stock" uniform for every show put on the field? Color guards radically change their uniforms from year to year, and obviously the WGI activity is full of groups who wear 'uniforms' (costumes) that are one-offs and only applicable to that season's show. If drum corps can do similar while still maintaining financial stability, why does it matter?

The bingo thing is obviously an issue, and the last several years BD has started other programs and ventures in order to supplement their income. The bingo issue in CA will affect more corps than just BD, and when BD "complains" about the new policy they do so (I think at least) as a voice representing ALL organizations affected. The Bingo is no doubt a HUGE part of BD's revenue, and it's loss would be financially devastating, new uniforms or not.

Besides, their last uniform change was 2006 if I remember correctly (they debuted the 'tracksuit' striped unis for the Godfather show, right?), and I don't think 4 years of use is an unreasonable amount of time to change uniforms. Modern uniforms are not as durable as the older ones (though WAY easier to maintain) and therefor will not hold up as well as the older ones and won't last as long. Plus, who knows what their uniform change is: it could be as simple as what Star used to do (change the highlights), or it could be radical. Either way, if they want to drop money on new uniforms, who cares? It's their organization/decision

Either way, if they want to drop money on new uniforms, who cares? It's their organization/decision

I agree with most of the rest of what you say, but had to stop on this...

As i recall, they were one of the 7 groups saying they need more money at the expense of the rest of the activity.... so one could say maybe if they werent dropping money on expenses like this, they wouldnt have to be demanding extra payouts.

First we have threads inquiring about who is getting new uniforms which gets a lot of people excited. Now we have individuals saying corps shouldn't be spending extra money to change uniforms every year or so. I'm so confused.

Really I understand the arguments on both sides, but this thread is about BD's new uniforms so it would be nice if we stay on topic.