Blue Devils New Uniforms

In BD's case (and for the Cavs and Crown as mentioned getting new unis too), I'm pretty sure FJM provides them at a deep discount.

As for other non G-7 corps, I'm guessing it's the trade-off for using thinner (and machine-washable) materials. You would build them thicker to last longer, but you'd likely end up with unis like the old Cadets, which are ... not fondly remembered.

Mike

Well, guards getting new uniforms every year is no big deal anymore. Remember when that ship set sail in the early 80s? As far as The Cavaliers uniforms go, they haven't had a major redesign in a couple of decades. They're due for an update. It looks like Crown is changing uniforms very frequently, but maybe they're just really good at changing accessories? The past two years, Blue Devil's have added accessories ( the tail thingy) and before they they had a slight update that I didn't care for, but they're due for something new. I would guess these new uniforms cost the corps around $30,000+ each go around. I bet FJM is giving them all a sweet deal, or I mean an EPIC deal! :cool:

Of course there are many non G7 corps also getting new uniform designs pretty often, so I think it's an issue for all of them.

Edited by jjeffeory

Im sure some will love it.... :cool:

I'm sure some will worship the ground they7 march on no matter how good or bad the uniform may be. :cool: :cool:

Hey, FJM is the one that's raising expectations here, although their hype is usually overblown and/or annoying (see Phantom's 2009 uni).

Heh, I thought that uniform was a step back for them, but other people seem to love them.

Well, guards getting new uniforms every year is no big deal anymore. Remember when that ship set sail in the early 80s? As far as The Cavaliers uniforms go, they haven't had a major redesign in a couple of decades. They're due for an update. It looks like Crown is changing uniforms very frequently, but maybe they're just really good at changing accessories? The past two years, Blue Devil's have added accessories ( the tail thingy) and before they they had a slight update that I didn't care for, but they're due for something new. I would guess these new uniforms cost the corps around $30,000 + each go around. I bet FJM is giving them all a sweet deal, or I mean an EPIC deal! :cool:

Of course there are many non G7 corps also getting new uniform designs pretty often, so I think it's an issue for all of them.

**edit to remove outrageous uniform price I originally took a stab at...** :cool:

Yeah, costume design and comments on Scott Chandler from....well, whoever you are......ok. sure.

G

Scotts very talented writer and show designer. Just sayin costume design ahhhh NO. as far as uniform the tacky comment comes from people who have seen them not me... The thread was anyone hear anything..just repored what I heard :cool:

As far as The Cavaliers uniforms go, they haven't had a major redesign in a couple of decades. They're due for an update.

I have to disagree with you there. I think their current look is both timeless and iconic. They have changed it slightly as time has gone on - the jacket has gotten shorter, the wings a little smaller, the baldric got reversed, etc, but it's still been the same basic "look" - the Cavs from 1984 really don't look significantly different from the Cavs of 2004.

<sigh> If they have to change it, I hope the differences are minor - I'm really hoping there's no "modern" asymmetrical hem a la Phantom, BK et al.

Mike

that skirt thing's gotta go

I have to disagree with you there. I think their current look is both timeless and iconic. They have changed it slightly as time has gone on - the jacket has gotten shorter, the wings a little smaller, the baldric got reversed, etc, but it's still been the same basic "look" - the Cavs from 1984 really don't look significantly different from the Cavs of 2004.

Now that I've said that, I'm going to have to immediately contradict myself. I'll tie this to BD in a second, but I think the truly "Cavalier" elements - the ones that tie into the historical and mythological name - are the hat, the collar, and the baldric. Everything else is negotiable, I guess.

So back to BD - I think the truly "classic" feature that BD uniforms have had since '76 is the open jacket. Even the 1994-2003 version was just a twist on that - the "A" opening brought lower and wider. It was kind of missing from the 2004-2005 unis (even though there was the sequined panel off to the side), and brought back in the 2006-current jackets.

Mike