Crown in search of Lead Baritone

LOL

<the rest of us>Way to freakin' go Crown...</the rest of us>

I'm sure no one wanted this to be the message, but here it is and here we are.

Crown has been a crowd favorite for a few years now. When do you stop rooting for the underdog and start rooting against a contender? Interesting dynamic, no?

For the kid's sake I wish this would go away.

Can you imagine how *he* feels about all of this? Guess not.

The "bashing Crown" part is nothing new and I'm sure it will get worse as they continue to get better. Doesn't bother me at all as it can be expected with the territory.

And FWIW there were alternates getting spots in the first week of ST.

Edited by corpsband

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL

<the rest of us>Way to freakin' go Crown...</the rest of us>

I'm sure no one wanted this to be the message, but here it is and here we are.

Crown has been a crowd favorite for a few years now. When do you stop rooting for the underdog and start rooting against a contender? Interesting dynamic, no?

This isnt just a crown thing... other corps do this too.

Really.... people are friggin complaining because they haven't put an alternate, that obviously wasn't a lead baritone alternate in a lead spot. Alternates typically are for a specific section/part not just for any spot that becomes available.

So I guess if a starting Qb and the two backups get injured an NFL team should not be able to sign another free agent and should have to pull a backup defensive lineman to fill that spot???

Some of you need to get a grip and get over the whole ...let's all be happy and everyone is just the same crap.

Obviously the alternates that were NOT put in the lead spot are not capable of playing and marching the lead baritone spot. Pretty simple and sorry but it is the fact and if that is what the kid was told, and they are fine with staying as an alternate in case another spot, THAT THEY ARE CAPABLE OF FILLING, opens up then there it is.

also that oil spill they are responsible for in the gulf... shame

Wait a second...that was Hoppy's fault!!!! Let's place the blame where it belongs

First off, Crown has had homers long before the past few years...really bad ones.

What ever happened to education in drum corps? Many titles of the staff have switched to being educator type titles. Faculty, adjuncts and what not.

Do top corps not teach people how to play anymore? Or is it only detail oriented? Even when I was marching not too long ago, people weren't afraid to take woodwind players and teach them baritone.

Crown has a low brass alternate. They should use him first. Period. The parent stated he paid FULL tuition and has yet to receive the 1/2 off as advertised.

It's still extremely in the season that even if they had to move someone from 2nd to 1st so the alternate could play a part he was more comfortable with, how hard will it be to teach the drill, and that's if its necessary to move their drill spot.

They already have to teach someone drill counts, and each individual set anyways. At least the alternate will know the counts in drill and the basic movements.

Edited by Kyle B

Remember when Drum Corps was about the members and the experience? I hope someday the "G-7's" of the world remember that that's what this activity is SUPPOSED to be about. Funny thing is, it seems people need to keep reminding the top corps that that's what this is supposed to be. Maybe THAT will be the difference between the "G-7's" and the rest of DCI. Willingness to keep it about the students versus eagerness to get a title.

Wow. Maybe I've just become a DCP dinosaur. I mean, geez, I did age out 2 years ago! :tongue:

I wouldn't hold it against them, but if they don't use their alternates as understudies/replacements, it makes me wonder why they bother having "alternates" in the first place. :tongue:

FTW !!!

Really.... people are friggin complaining because they haven't put an alternate, that obviously wasn't a lead baritone alternate in a lead spot. Alternates typically are for a specific section/part not just for any spot that becomes available.

So I guess if a starting Qb and the two backups get injured an NFL team should not be able to sign another free agent and should have to pull a backup defensive lineman to fill that spot???

Some of you need to get a grip and get over the whole ...let's all be happy and everyone is just the same crap.

Obviously the alternates that were NOT put in the lead spot are not capable of playing and marching the lead baritone spot. Pretty simple and sorry but it is the fact and if that is what the kid was told, and they are fine with staying as an alternate in case another spot, THAT THEY ARE CAPABLE OF FILLING, opens up then there it is.

I think What I'm getting at (I'll elaborate) is that I can't believe there's not another First Bari that can take lead (possible I guess) and then the alternate be put in second bari and a good second bari fill the whole in first bari by pushing the first bari to lead. Just a little shuffling. Corps have been making WHOLESALE changes in shows AND adding performers well after mid season in some cases, so this early to shuffle a few folks around is VERY doable.