What was the most legendary show of all time?

I listed perviously and stand by that list-- but I had to respond to the G7 comment--

You want non-G7 performances that I think are striking? Here are a few to chew on that might make some of you think about it.

How about 1999 Blue Knights with the Trittico program?

How about 1999 Glassmen's treatment of Kodaly?

How about 1980 Spirit of Atlanta, with the incredible Jim Ott Book?

The 1991, 1992, and 1993 Crossmen programs, percussively groovy with some striking and unique dense horn scoring?

1980 Scouts-- Malaguena, Ice Castles, Jim Ott, all classic, gorgeous, powerful hornline. How about their "Drum Corps Lover's Dream" shows?

Here's one- 1985 Suncoast Sound-- one of the first original scores created specifically for Drum Corps, some wonderful scoring.

None of these shows won- but are wonderful to listen to, fine examples of thoughtful and entertaining programs. I think I've barely scratched the surface of quality non-G7 programs that deserve a good listen.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<How about 1999 Glassmen's treatment of Kodaly>

Unfortunately, it's been 10 years (more, actually...) since this FANTASTIC (emphasis on the FAN part...) show - would that the Glassmen return to that kind of symphonic style and excellence...

Wow GM that's tough. So many amazing shows over the course of the history of DCI.

I'm thinking my top 5 most legendary would be:

1) 1988 Madison- Just amazing, and isn't it strange to think that if Madison hadn't won and put on that type of performance we might be talking much more about SCV and BD from that year, '88 in general was the best year in DCI I believe!!

2) 1993 Star- If that same show was put on the field today would it be competitive enough to be top 6 or higher? I think so, which is a statement to how much ahead of it's time it was!!

3) 2006 Cavaliers- Machine may not be a musical masterpiece, but it might have been as close to perfection visually and design wise. So much so that I feel they have not come close to matching their mojo from '06 since then. I feel it might be a peak show for them that will never be touched!

4) Phantom 2008- Speaking of not being able to capture the same type of design, Spartacus might have been the all around best musically designed show in the history of DCI, Vis. program was great but man that music was not stop action!!

5) Phantom Regiment 1991- Also one of the greatest musical programs ever to be put together- Who'd ever have thought Opera music could be so accessible to the average marching fan?

These are mine and I'm sticking to 'em!!

By the way GO PACWEST 16- GO Red Raiders!! Can't wait to see USC come to Jones stadium talk about a culture shock!!! I say forget the wait til 2012- Start new conference play now. Besides the world will end on Dec 21 2012 so they'll not even get to determine a national champ... Ok I'm done! :thumbup:

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

<How about 1999 Glassmen's treatment of Kodaly>

Unfortunately, it's been 10 years (more, actually...) since this FANTASTIC (emphasis on the FAN part...) show - would that the Glassmen return to that kind of symphonic style and excellence...

Amen, Brudda- and from 1998-2001, they'd have been thought of as "G7..." :thumbup:

1. Madison Scouts 1975

2. Madison Scouts 1988

3. SCV 1989

4. 2008 Phantom

5. 1978 SCV

Amazingly, I agree with this list 100%!

My choices are perhaps a bit "off the radar", but none the less these are some of my favorites:

1. 1997 Phantom Regiment - superb musicality... just amazing.

2. 1991 Cadets - the color guard set new standards

3. 1993 Star of Indiana

4. 1986 Blue Devils - wow!

5. 1998 Santa Clara Vanguard

Edited by Will

1992 Velvet Knights

Sorry SCV ?? Why ? They beat PR all week. Got the then highest score doing it......Im sure they will accept your apology though ! LOL

Actually, Phantom won friday night. SCV had a penalty, but PR director waived it off. Pure class. Saturday night, it came down to drum execution.

Saturday night drum judge was a phantom hater. PR won drum execution either semis or quarters, but fell to 4th or 5th Saturday night. There was a drum tick right in front of him though, and it was mine and the judge put his tape to his mouth and acknowledged it. That Saturday night show was the most emotional show I have ever seen or been a part of. What PR did that night could only happen when a show was fabulous, and when it's coming from a 2nd place corps knowing they weren't going to win, so laid it all on the field. It was a rare combination, and sounds strikingly familiar to PR 2008 finals week. Except the outcome was different.

The guys were kind enough not to mention it after the show. I replay that tick in my head ever August. Be glad you don't live with it.

Edited by johnnytech

Actually, Phantom won friday night. SCV had a penalty, but PR director waived it off. Pure class.

Saturday night drum judge was a phantom hater. PR won drum execution mostly finals week, but fell to 4th or 5th Saturday night. There was a drum tick right in front of him though, and it was mine. That Saturday night show was the most emotional show I have ever seen or been a part of. The guys were kind enough not to mention it. I replay that tick in my head ever August. If only I had...

I'll buy you a beer..

Actually, Phantom won friday night. SCV had a penalty, but PR director waived it off. Pure class. Saturday night, it came down to drum execution.

Saturday night drum judge was a phantom hater. PR won drum execution mostly finals week, but fell to 4th or 5th Saturday night. There was a drum tick right in front of him though, and it was mine and the judge put his tape to his mouth and acknowledged it. That Saturday night show was the most emotional show I have ever seen or been a part of. What PR did that night could only happen when a show was fabulous, and when it's coming from a 2nd place corps knowing they deserved to win but knew we weren't, so laid it all on the field. It was a rare combination, something that sounds strikingly familiar to PR 2008 finals week. Except the outcome was different. PR owned 89 Saturday night.

The guys were kind enough not to mention it after the show. I replay that tick in my head ever August. Be glad you don't live with it. If only I had...

Oh man....now you have me wondering if I can find the tick!

I know the feeling about that....I have an interval error in our closer that still haunts me...and I can't help but wonder if we would've at least tied if it hadn't been so exposed to the upstairs marching judges...'cause our 1/10th deficit was in M&M.

'Course, if our GE score had been higher it would've gone the other way...Garfield owned GE back in those days.

LOVED your show, btw :thumbup::shutup::worthy: :worthy: I've always felt 87-89 should've gone SCV/SCV/Regiment, personally (I mean...a perfect score in percussion....really, 87 Garfield?? When a clear bit of battery/pit phasing?? Perfection??)

Edited by 84BDsop