What was the most legendary show of all time?

Halftime Magazine (www.halftimemag.com). Check out the current issue here.

03-2010-halftime-magazine-cover-THM.jpg

Hello everyone...

As a writer for Halftime magazine, I’m putting together another article reviewing the FAN'S CHOICE of the Most Legendary DCI World Class drum corps show of all time (from 1972).

FROM THE HALFTIME MAGAZINE WEBSITE:

"Halftime Magazine is writing a feature story about the Most Legendary Drum Corps Shows (focusing on the years since the formation of Drum Corps International). We would love to hear your feedback, which may be included in the article. This is your chance to tell the world which drum corps had the most legendary show ever--not necessarily who was the best champion."

Which DCI show made you jump out of your seat as you observed the most amazing drill move? Which performance held you captive as you listened to the most beautiful musical arrangement? Or was there a show where you witnessed something you had never seen or heard before from the field that had you talking about it years later? Or which show made a lasting impact on the entire drum corps movement?

Nominate your favorite legendary DCI show of all time online in the comments section of the Halftime webpage or by clicking here to "Contact Us" with subject line, “Legendary Drum Corps Shows.”

NOTE: Comments must be posted and emails sent by midnight on June 15, 2010, to be considered. Then read the winners’ list in our upcoming July/August 2010 issue.

This is a great opportunity to speak your mind about the most legendary show ever for drum corps staff members, support staff volunteers, members and alumni of these drum corps to be considered for the article.

Musically,

-=GM=-

Gregory M. Kuzma

Writer

Halftime Magazine

www.halftimemag.com

GMKuzmaAuthor@aol.com

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my submission (which I just shot over)

For me....the 5 most legendary DCI shows...

1984 Garfield Cadets”Selections From West Side Story”

I MUST pick the show that beat me for the ring that year. They took the innovations from 1983 and expanded them. The horn line was spectacular, the drill was superb....we (Blue Devils) saw them from the audience POV only one time...and a street-clothes run thru in Pt. Huron, MI...a show that was rained out later that night....when we were supposed to see it in full uni. We knew we were in trouble, and it was a knock-down, drag-out fight to the end. And I must sing the praises of Cadets’ all-time greatest soloist, mellophone legend Barbara Maroney (who should be in Cadets’ HOF....truly). Her solo work “I Have a Love” is the gold standard...and she hardly looked like she was even trying on that last 19-second-on-one-breath note -- but then, the true masters NEVER look like they’re trying.

1986 Blue Devils

Ahhhh....if only I’d been born 2 years later than I was....I could’ve aged out with THIS monster of a program. The power, the emotion, the MUSIC...one of the most perfect shows of the 80s. Almost always at the top of any classic BD show list. And to see so many of the people I marched with in 84 get the ring...a great time to be an alum, and a show I take great pleasure in cranking out my car windows!

1987 Santa Clara Vanguard

What can one say about a program Gail Royer himself said was the greatest show he’d ever seen? Not much else....except they shoud’ve won! Russian Christmas Music may be the corps song of the Crossmen, but I will forever identify it with SCV. From the first loud hit, the corps let it be known that they would not surrender without one Hell of a fight. The push from “Great Gate of Kiev”to close the show never fails to send a thrill down my spine. If I hadn’t aged out already and not been such a BD homer, I would’ve loved to have marched this show!

1991 Star of Indiana

The came, they saw, they conquered! The mellophones still amaze people with the intricacy and speed of their notes, and the masterful work of the late George Zingali...especially the Magnum Opus of a closer drill...created off the top of his head one day because the ending “didn’t feel right,” and taught with no drill charts...just hours of telling people go here, go there...truly a man blessed by the Drill Gods. A corps that never truly got the respect it deserved because of how they were formed (like none of US wouldn’t use a massive fortune to start a corps....let’s not lie to ourselves, shall we?), but a corps that always pushed and explored new things....no OTHER corps would even think to put on their 93 program. 1990 is my favorite Star program, but 1991 is the legendary show from them.

2008 Phantom Regiment

FINALLY!! After years and YEARS of being the bridesmaid, of fans singing “We march with Phantom ‘cause we like 4th place” to the tune of the 1812 Overture, of ups and downs and struggles, of great programs and poor ones...the gang from Rockford nails it like no one ever has. Proving that imaginative and powerful storytelling can still be with without narration, they drew the crowd in like no one else. Plenty of corps have gotten the audience to participate by clapping along or occasional vocalizing....but NO corps can match the audience joining in with “I AM SPARTACUS!” From the utterly theatrical field entry to DM Will Pitts getting speared, this show will live forever as one of the greatest drum corps programs of all time...and deservedly so. It says a lot about the show that I was ecstatic about the win, even if it DID come by the tightest margin ever, and at the expense of my old corps. This was one time when the judges absolutely got it right.

Here's my submission (which I just shot over)

For me....the 5 most legendary DCI shows...

1984 Garfield Cadets”Selections From West Side Story”

1986 Blue Devils

1987 Santa Clara Vanguard

1991 Star of Indiana

2008 Phantom Regiment

Can't really argue with any of those. Edited by jthomas666

i'd replace Star with 95 Madison and that'd be my list

i'd replace Star with 95 Madison and that'd be my list

The problem is he only gave 5 choices...and i HAD to put 91 Star somewhere!

Now if the list had been expanded to the all time top 12....

Wow 4 out of 5 over 20 years old. Or close.

My quick and dirty response during dinner break:

Star 93

Madison 95

BD 86

Cadets 83

Vanguard 89

Honorable mentions to:

Star 91, Vanguard 87, Cadets 84, Madison 96,

I think in some number of years we will see shows like Phantom 08, Crown 07, 09, Vanguard 00, 09, Cavies 02, 06 etc. on this list for a number of reasons.