Absolute LOUDEST show of all time !

1981 Blue Devils .... I just came back from a trip out of the country. Since I lived near by I went to DCI Midwest prelims at White Water. Went with out a ticket, and was surprised to see the first 8-10 rows on the 50 yard line were avaialble. So I purchase a 50 yard line ticket around the 8th row.

The show was fantastic and very enjoyable until BD came on the field. They were so loud that my ears hurt (physically) and a few minutes into the show just after some massive blast I had to leave. I left with my ears ringing and a very bad headache. I sat down out behind the stadium for the rest of the show in total pain and now understood why the first 8-10 rows were open!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying Spirit 1980 is the loudest drum corps ever feels like the drum corps equivalent of claiming to have gone to Woodstock in 1969. Millions will tell you they were there at Woodstock though perhaps a half million actually attended (400,000 tickets were sold). Spirit 1980 has its own retrospective connection. Amid the pressbox glass breaking and the ears bleeding, there is this collective agreement on something altogether subjective - something very rare in drum corps.

That's fine. I have my doubts, but I wasn't there. So I'm casting my ballot instead for BD 96 and Cadets 07.

HH

Oh well. >_> I'll stick to verbal one liners. I clearly fail at forum humor. I guess that means life is meaningless then. <_<

You're a step ahead of me... I clearly fail at humor, period. :smile:

Saying Spirit 1980 is the loudest drum corps ever feels like the drum corps equivalent of claiming to have gone to Woodstock in 1969. Millions will tell you they were there at Woodstock though perhaps a half million actually attended (400,000 tickets were sold). Spirit 1980 has its own retrospective connection. Amid the pressbox glass breaking and the ears bleeding, there is this collective agreement on something altogether subjective - something very rare in drum corps.

That's fine. I have my doubts, but I wasn't there. So I'm casting my ballot instead for BD 96 and Cadets 07.

HH

Well since you weren't there I understand. But! those of us that were and have seen all the shows since (34 years and haven't missed a season yet) KNOW the reality.

HH

At Michigan City 1980 (and that is where the 'broke glass' happened) I was on side 2 40-yard line about 15 rows up.

Many were annoyed that SCV won....

Agree with 1980 Spirit as the loudest show, but I got to hear '79 Spirit play the Sweet Georgia Brown fanfare at a standstill even louder than that with Jim Conducting! (and the following mellophone quartet on rotor-pistons is still one of the most amazing things to listen to.)

Loudest show I've heard live:

Madison 199xxxxxxx. Can't narrow it down to one year, but 1995 stands out.

Loudest moment I've heard live:

BD 1996. "BD, you may take the field for HOLY CRAP I CAN'T HEAR MY EARDRUMS RUPTURE."

The loudest moment that nobody will think of or even believe unless they were there or happen to be obsessive fans of the show like me:

Star 1993. Really. I know, I know. Most of the show was piano, or mp for the "big hits". The snares even played part of the show with ther fingernails. But check out the spot at about the 8 min mark. Spot-on in tune, rediculously loud, and the percussion and pit throw everything they can for about 10 seconds right before the final movement. Very, very cool.

The loudest show I was told about before I had attended my first drum corps show, or even heard a drum corps CD:

Spirit of Atlanta 1980. The legend was certainly still alive 10 years later when I was on my way to my first show.

Edited by Dr.Mickey

2002 cavaliers

QFT