Talking G7 shop with Volunteers

1) Instead of confronting a volunteer about why you aren't making a purchase, simply don't visit the stand to begin with. There is no reason to confront a volunteer, even politely, about the positions of their corps' director as was inferred above. These complains WILL NOT force a director to deal with them (contrary to that post) and the directors are already aware of the general DCP stance.

2) Most show attendees, marchers, and volunteers will either be unaware, barely aware, or misinformed about the G7 proposal. Nearly all will not care in the slightest. This is typical DCP "the drum corps world revolves around us" thinking. It's not that important to the majority of fans. There will not be a great deal of "blowback" to volunteers or stands except by those self-righteous DCP members who are convinced their opinions will actually change a director's mind (they won't). And will the majority of those individuals really be as outspoken in real life to a corps volunteer of 20+ years who just really enjoys seeing those marching members succeed on a day to day basis? I would certainly hope not.

3) I would hope that no one here would even bother going to a souvie stand simply to make it a point not to make a purchase. That's ridiculous. It's like people who leave Target claiming that the store has "lost a long-time customer." The employees do not care. MAYBE the management of the store cares but in reality, it isn't like the high school student you just yelled at cares about the fate of Target at all. It's simply not within their position to do anything about it, no matter how many complaints a day they get.

For what it is worth, I completely agree with this posting; especially with the big chain store analogy.

A person who has a complaint, and communicates that to an employee, even in a polite manner, is speaking to someone who is just providing a service. This would equate to a souvie volunteer for a G7 corps.

A person who speaks with a Manager might get that Manager's ear, but the formal complaint will be diluted as it is dispersed up the corporate ladder. This would equate to speaking with a staff member of a G7 corps.

A person who drafts a letter to the company is more than likely to have a screener read the letter than a corporate officer. And even if a corporate officer replied, it would more than likely be a placating type response full of platitudes. This would equate trying to email the G7 directors, especially while the season is in full swing.

A person who refuses to purchase from a big chain store based on Principal does not individually impact the chain store in the very least; but it does show solid character from the person who no longer desires to frequent the store. This would equate to not purchasing souvie items from a G7 corps (which could possibly work if enough people refrained from buying G7 materials; but I personally do not see that occurring due to how many fans out there are pretty much oblivious to what is going on with the G7 spin vs. the other DCI corps. And, I have never in my life seen this boycot tactic work against any corporation without massive media coverage across the entire country).

So, the only thing I can see as feasible for any DCP posters to possibly have any "small" impact at all is if by happenstance those who dislike this G7 proposal happen to run into Hopkins, Gibbs, Fiedler, Glasgow, Valenzuela, Coats, or DeGrwaue out by the busses at show sites, and the directors will stop to listen. But, there is no guarantee that these Executive Directors will even be at a given show while out on tour; and no guarantee that they will stop to listen; and even if they do listen, the conversation would have just a very, very, small impact; if any at all.

Therefore, I believe that the G7 will be more impacted by those who, if combined as a united force, can yield a big voting stick; the rest of the WC directors and the DCI Board of Directors. So to me the best way to combat the G7 would be through the corps directors of the other WC corps. Email them; ask them to be the advocate on behalf of the fans; ask them to be the advocate for the OC corps; ask them to band together to do what is right. Just my two cents after starting this thread...

Edited by Stu

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great if you think it's pathetic, I see it as customer feedback. I don't see how it is "harassment" like some of you are claiming. Is it "harassing" if you don't like something in a store and so you tell them why you're upset and why you won't support them? I admit there are probably better venues but I don't understand why it is so appalling to politely, briefly complain to the clerk.

Complain all you want to a PAID clerk, but to a VOLUNTEER, shows your lack of understanding. They hold NO power whatsoever, but you are intent on ruining their experience to make yourself feel better? Hows that life working for you?

Complain all you want to a PAID clerk, but to a VOLUNTEER, shows your lack of understanding. They hold NO power whatsoever, but you are intent on ruining their experience to make yourself feel better? Hows that life working for you?

:whistle:

QFT.

Anyone who would, even politely, go out of the way to tell a volunteer that they won't be making a purchase clearly has no understanding of how things work. They're probably also the self-righteous, self-important DCP poster I described before. Honestly, like posters above, I cannot imagine a situation that ISN'T totally silly. You aren't making a difference. Your voice isn't being heard. You're really just being a jerk to people who are there for outstanding reasons. Have you marched drum corps, Abbevillekid? Seriously. If you condone treating those volunteers in the way you're proposing, even politely, you clearly don't appreciate what those individuals are doing.

Money talks. Don't visit those booths. Don't attend shows with G7 corps. Don't make purchases from DCI that benefit G7 organizations in any way. If you're doing anything else, you're wasting your time and energy to little end.

I'm not trying to "ruin anyone's experience" but clearly I don't understand I guess and I apologize if anything I've said has offended anyone, I'll simply not go. I don't condone treating anyone poorly and that has never been my intent, I assumed a polite message would be passed on to the director but I've never volunteered and my corps did not have or require many volunteers, so I overestimated the amount of time volunteers see directors. I'll return to my pathetic existence now.

How's that going to work, exactly? Are you going to walk up to a souvenir stand, announce that you won't be making a purchase today, then walk off?

I had somebody do that to me when I worked at a Starbucks in a supermarket once. I just stared at him.

Some people are just jerks and the best way to deal with them is blank stares.

I'm not trying to "ruin anyone's experience" but clearly I don't understand I guess and I apologize if anything I've said has offended anyone, I'll simply not go. I don't condone treating anyone poorly and that has never been my intent, I assumed a polite message would be passed on to the director but I've never volunteered and my corps did not have or require many volunteers, so I overestimated the amount of time volunteers see directors. I'll return to my pathetic existence now.

That is the best post from you on this thread. Thanks for showing you do get it. It really isn't the business of the volunteers to run to the directors every time someone complains at a booth. They are just helping their ( usually kids ) corps out by volunteering to be in a sales environment while the whole show passes them by. They don't need salt in their wounds.

How's that going to work, exactly? Are you going to walk up to a souvenir stand, announce that you won't be making a purchase today, then walk off? Will you peruse the merchandise first, wait for the staff to ask if you'd like to purchase anything, and then tell them "No thanks, you're G7"? I'm trying to picture any scenario where a protest is made to the souvenir staff that doesn't just look silly. I'm not succeeding.......

Well, I did say I don't have a problem with doing it, but I will not seek it out. I don't go to too many shows, but when I do I like to check out what everyone has. Some savvy sales people will solicit, ie. "check out our t-shirts". When not busy some souvie sellers are fun to engage in conversation. Some people like to visit their favorite corps booths or even an alma matter souvie truck. I fully intend on expressing my opinion if given an opportunity. I will not create opportunity by piling up souvies and not buying them, or by waving two dollar bills in someones face saying "you can't have them".

I have marched and volunteered. While not being some kind of insider I have worked with two of the G7 directors. I have worked in customer service on the front lines. I firmly believe that you must express your thoughts when you have an opinion.

The point of my original post was that one person trying to make waves can look ridiculous, but many people contributing a little can sway the tide.

There is no problem with talking to a volunteer of a coprs regarding your opinons, being civil, and respectful...Im laughing so hard about all these righteous do-gooders condemning folks for doing something when you, at home, probably do worse things every day......Its mind boggling how some can get behind a computer screen, and judge.....I spoke to some "volunteers" last night, and some at length, about more than the gee-7 , not only are they interested but they are instructed to interact and report back the consensus , pro or con, of most things going on within the community and their corps.

Yes, they are volunteers, but they are also , get this, doing something they want to do for a reason, for someone lese, and that means all apsects of taking on the job they volunteer for.....how silly some of these condemnations, even making some poor kid recind his statement and apologize.

Have a great season everyone, and communicate about whatever it is you feel you need to, pro or con, to whoever wants to listen or whoever "represents" the corps you choose to talk to.......

Unreal.

Some of you should actually get out there into the actual arena and not just sit behind a computer and talk about whats right and wrong.

G

Flame on, who cares, I like coming here, but I live out there.....

Edited by GMichael1230