Corps Names

Jay, is that you?

As you know, I was on the staff back then, practically from the first rehearsal. If Mike O. named the corps after the his favorite watering hole, he never told me about it. And Mike loved to talk; he certainly would have laid that story on us over and over, ad nauseam. The sneakin' up on ya theory is how the origin of the name was related to me.

If the Bushwacker Bar figures in the legend, then I stand enlightened; that's the first I've ever heard of that one. Then again, you could never tell with Big Mike!

peace,

Fred O.

FREDDY!!!!!!!!!! Yes its me and the story is true! He drank at "the Bushwacker" after every "Chicken Coop" softball game.

Remember the "Coop"?

How could we forget "the Coop".

Come on down to the homeshow in August, We are planning a big reunion picnic before the show.

Jaybo

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Fred, I can confirm Jay's story on Mike's story. Big Mike told the Bushwacker Jersey shore bar story a few times. You must have been getting second helpings of the Coop's chicken or potatos when he told it. :devil: Hope to see you at our show in Toms River on August 14th.

FREDDY!!!!!!!!!! Yes its me and the story is true! He drank at "the Bushwacker" after every "Chicken Coop" softball game.

Remember the "Coop"?

How could we forget "the Coop".

Come on down to the homeshow in August, We are planning a big reunion picnic before the show.

Jaybo

[/quote

Yeah, the Coop (or was it "Coope?" Who the hell can remember that far back, anyway?) looms large in the Bushwacker legend, its assets having provided the start-up funds for what was at the time a DCA pipe-dream. Those books must have been an accountant's nightmare!

Hope to see you guys at the August show. Down here in T.R., right?

regards,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5

....What?

The thread is about corps names. I was using sarcasm saying I've never heard any band/corps have the name Buccaneers. Obviously kidding, because there are tons of them. Even my band is the buccaneers.

1966 Whalers, Harpoon (Photo from Ray Leger)

1966Harpoon_WhalersRayLeger.jpg

Holy toledo... I gotta figure nobody messed with THAT guy....LOL

The Skyliners started as the Raymond A Garbarina Memorial Drum and Bugle Corps and later adopted the name to become the Garbarina Skyliners. After John Mazarakos was added to the post charter the name was changed to the New York Skyliners.

Holy toledo... I gotta figure nobody messed with THAT guy....LOL

Can you imagine attempting to get something like this into all the different states and the stadiums today? LOL

(Not exactly "Politically correct" to carry something that might actually be used as a weapon theses days :tongue: *Though it's true that carrying Sabers are not questioned*)

1966 Whalers, Harpoon (Photo from Ray Leger)

1966Harpoon_WhalersRayLeger.jpg

Can you imagine attempting to get something like this into all the different states and the stadiums today? LOL

(Not exactly "Politically correct" to carry something that might actually be used as a weapon theses days :tongue: *Though it's true that carrying Sabers are not questioned*)

Hi All,

That harpoon was custom made with a ball bearing mounted handle & could spin with ease .watch out for the meatgrinder !!! Mike Mendoza still has that symbol of the New Bedford Whalers mounted on his wall in his Florida house. Mike was also a member of the RI Matador Alumni Corps & The St. Kevin Emerald Knights Sr. Corps. before he retired. The Whalers were very proud to have that harpoon out in front as a sign of New Bedfords history as the Whaling Capital of the World & the "Mobey Dick" Story. Thats how the New Bedford Whalers Sr. Corps came to get its name.

Mike D.

Whalers

Matadors

St. Kevins

I'd be interested in how the Renegades got their name, though. I'd imagine that's a good yarn. :smile:

I can't say HOW the name was picked, but I can tell you the circumstances.

Most all of us involved with the Renegades were actually in a new Senior Corps called "Shockwave". I was actually the brass instructor for Shockwave. We met in a very nice high school in San Ramon, CA. As I recall we had 30+ horns, 20-ish drums, and some guard, after only a few months of operation!

SO ... I was working for Oracle and had to go to London for business for a couple of weeks. I get back, show up to rehearsal, and there were NO drummers, and only a couple of brass players!!! I asked the director ... "WTF,O?" and he came up with some lame excuse that everyone quit because of something. Well, I came to find out that they quit because of the director and his temperment (which I was definitely aware of!)

So, the Renegades were formed by ex-Shockwave people ... and I always assumed that the name Renegades had to do with their "renegade" action against Shockwave.