Blue Devils Fan Peek

I've already listened to the preseason recording, and honestly - it's not as out there as you think. La Suerte appears in the opener (and closer), and the ballad is just gorgeous. The whole show really has a '91 show-vibe to it, I'm assuming because of the Kenton material. I like it a *lot* more than I do 1930 - probably my least favorite BD show in recent memory.

Mike

With you on every part of this. Loving what I'm hearing from this year a lot more than last year. And it's very much a 91 kind of feel musically.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol

The music is actually pretty accessible. IMO opinion, the source music is more interesting than 99% of the garbage that arrangers are pumping out today.

We'll see what BD does with it, though.

Well, if that's the case, I'll continue to race towards Bruckner and continue to build my classical collection.

Thanks for the heads-up that I don't have to waste much money on what "arrangers are pumping out today".

And so many think Mackey is weird? I know it's a different style; thank God we've got it, I say.

I'm mostly curious how BD will turn this into a show. But I'll watch it when I can click STOP, and put in something I can tap my foot to.

I've already listened to the preseason recording, and honestly - it's not as out there as you think. La Suerte appears in the opener (and closer), and the ballad is just gorgeous. The whole show really has a '91 show-vibe to it, I'm assuming because of the Kenton material. I like it a *lot* more than I do 1930 - probably my least favorite BD show in recent memory.

Mike

Well, yours is a qualified opinion of course, so I'll hold my nose (and plug my ears) and watch. But I'm glad I've got an aisle seat right at the tunnel steps.

And I'll surely give them extra credit if they can turn THIS into something that makes me want to stay. Even 1930 made more sense than this.

Oh, and I did like the "ballad" in the preview; just hope they give us more than 3 measures of it!

Edited by garfield

This show is absolutely amazing. I've always been thankful that the Blue Devils come up with concepts that have depth, as abstract as they may be. I really enjoy them.

Wow. City of Glass. That is intriguing.

Getting a bit of a 91 vibe with this since it's waaaay on the edge of jazz.

Actually, hearing that it's '91-like I'm more excited about the whole concept. Maybe it will be good?

Even though I'm giving newseditor a little nudge, I agree with him a bit. I really hope they don't go too far out with this. 91 was out there musically...one of the most musically fragmented shows I've ever heard, actually. And I still liked it.

Please make the music fun and exciting BD, don't just lean on visual gobblygook to try to generate that.

When I saw BD '91 live I was pretty ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, initially. I wasn't as bad as friends that I had brought to the regional because I had heard Suncoast's take, but it took a while to appreciate it for the brass and visual mastery it was.

I couldn't get that link to work. I just logged into the FN and opened up the file myself.

Oh. Too bad for me. I don't have a membership.

Mike

Where can we get (download) the recording?