Fairweather Fans

How many people that follow basketball can safely say that they are a diehard Clippers fan, or Raptors, or Jazz? Please speak up if you're out there.

Basketball...what's that? Most of us Canadians don't watch that sport, even though it was a Canadian that invented the game. Most of the time it's dependent on which team scores last. Now, if you were doing a comparison to hockey, well that's a different story!!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing is off-putting quite like a cheering crowd of homers who are there for the corps they love blindly. Those are the people who show up late, talk through your performance, etc.

But nothing is as amazing and rewarding as getting off the field after a show and having those same die-hard fans come up to you and thank you for your performance. Nothing is as amazing as seeing those same fans jump out of their seats at your first hit. I marched in a corps with a show for the fans. And they responded, regardless of previous biases. Incredible...

For the most part, people have to be associated with a winner to feel good about themselves. Take the time when the Bulls were winning in the 90's. You couldn't go anywhere w/o seeing somebody in a Bulls hat or shirt. Now it is Lakers and Celtic clothing that dominate our streets.

If a fan chooses to jump from one team to another with every successful year they have? Yes, that I would consider a fairweather fan. When I meet a" big fan" or so called die hard fan of a team, I can always tell how much they know about their team by grilling them about their teams' history i.e. past players, coaches, statisical info and if they can answer the majority of those correctly, I will shake their hand and congratulate them on really being a big fan of their team. But when they cannot identify who their previous coach or player's or championship year's were, then I know I'm probably talking to a fairweather fan and not the "big fan" of that team/corps.

In drum corps though I believe there is some difference. You can be a huge fan of the corps you marched or volunteered for and still support all the other corps out there. ( Do you hear me G7?) The rah rah attitude of "is just about my corps and nobody else" doesn't impress anybody and doesn't help keep the activity afloat. I have bought souvies from hundreds of corps (BITD) and I have volunteered for over 1/2 dozen and donated money to a couple of dozen corps over the years I have no affiliation with. I feel this is my way of doing my part to keep the drum corps activity strong. I wish others would do the same. I think of all the corps of yesteryear we will never see again and most of them folded for the usual reasons. A lack of funds. And if they had a stronger following of supporters who donated their time and money to them, we would be talking about 27th, Freelancers, Suncoast, North Star, Guardsmen, Kilties etc..today in what their chances are for this season in D1.

One instance of "bad fans" I'll never forget. I"ll let you figure out the corps they marched with. Madison was performing in 1996. The crowd was going wild as they should of with that great show they had. They were given a long standing ovation at the end of their performance and I notice 4 adults sitting behind me, the only ones not standing and applauding with their hands crossed staring straight ahead. I later asked them if they didn't like the show. The response I got was, "they robbed me of me getting a championship ring". I mentioned to him it wasn't these particular kids or judges or staff members who were all involved in that. I asked him" So you're going to take it out on kids who were not in the activity back then because you failed to get a ring?" Which was fine and the end of our conversation which was very civil and respectful despite our opposite views. Until his corps came up. They had a wonderful show that year, but this moron with his corps jacket on, had to show everybody how to make an a## out of himself. After every big horn hit or drum lick, he would stand up and yell, " F&*% yeah! We are the baddest MF'ers on the planet". It didn't take long for a lot of people to become angry with this group as there was a lot parents with young children sitting within hearing range. They started telling the guy to watch his language and he continued on. I finally had to pull out my police badge and notify him if he didn't knock off the stupidity, I was going to arrest him right them and there off duty for disturbing the peace and public intoxication. It had to come to that for this guy and his group to settle down. He didn't boo or talk down about Madison during their performance which was good. Just sat there like a zombie. But to act like an idiot when his corps came on was pitiful to say the least. I heard later he does this at many shows he attends when Madison and his corps are both in a show.

have you forgotten that much of DCP are Madison fanboys? Thats not fair-weather. Also I think my reason for rooting for Crown is that they havent won. IMHO only 6 active champions in 40 years is unacceptable. I think people like an underdog as much as they like a winner. Thats why I think you will see huge support for Boston or Blue Stars if they are close to the top 5, and Madison, Spirit or Crossmen if they are close to making finals.

have you forgotten that much of DCP are Madison fanboys? Thats not fair-weather. Also I think my reason for rooting for Crown is that they havent won. IMHO only 6 active champions in 40 years is unacceptable. I think people like an underdog as much as they like a winner. Thats why I think you will see huge support for Boston or Blue Stars if they are close to the top 5, and Madison, Spirit or Crossmen if they are close to making finals.

Fanboys? Exactly what is your issue with the Madison Scouts?

I think winning certainly brings out the bandwagon fans. Teams that win get legions of new fans.

But you forgot the other side of the coin. Flip the coin over. What do you find there ?

The haters. The jealous. The detractors. When teams win a lot, they get more of these as well.

New York Yankees..... New England Patriots.... La Lakers.... Duke Basketball.... Texas Longhorns football.... Blue Devils Drum Corps..........Florida Gators...... Uconn Women's Basketball.... and on and on.

Winners always have more fans.... and more detractors.

It can get pretty lonely sometimes at the top of that mountain. But it goes with the territory. And it sure beats losing ,any day of the week.

Edited by BRASSO

have you forgotten that much of DCP are Madison fanboys? Thats not fair-weather.

I beg to differ with you on this one. Why do you think that the Madison Scouts have such a following? Could it be that they've been around forever and have won DCI twice? Look at the reaction that Troopers got last year when they just made it back into finals. That's because back before DCI was around, Troopers were winning. Their winning years developed a very big fan base that really never left them...they just went to the back burner, just waiting for them to return to their winning ways. I believe that prooves that once a Corps wins the whole ball of wax, they also win fans for life.

There isn't really any cheering from your hometown corps, since there are only 20 world class groups and they are from non-traditional cities.

Plus - in basketball, the Nets can beat the Celtics once in a while. Everyone on this forum knows for sure that Pioneer will NEVER beat Blue Devils this year, not once, and unless there are major organizational shifts I can bet easily on it not happening for the next 10 years.

No offense meant here...but in DCI the bottom 5 corps in the top division never beat the top 5 corps. There is never a major upset! So why not go for the best...

I beg to differ with you on this one. Why do you think that the Madison Scouts have such a following? Could it be that they've been around forever and have won DCI twice? ...

That's part of. Much of the other part, in my opinion, is politics. Liking Madison to some is a statement about the activity. It's as if encouraging the Scouts also encourages a different and better trend for the activity at large. I don't happen to share that view. And I suspect many will deny having that view. But I dare anyone to observe what transpires in the stands around a Madison performance and not come to the same conclusion. Too many of its most avid appluaders seem also to be the same people who are most outspoken about another agenda.

That's not to say Madison can't be great or that I and others can't appreciate them for who they. We're talking, however, about fan choices that derive from aspects other than performance. Madison just happens to be one of the best examples. Troopers would be another. So much support that derives from tradition irrespective of performance.

SCV seems to have the halo too. We hear terms "class" attributed to Vanguard disproportionately as if it is a quality SCV poses while Cadets or Cavies don't. Again, I'm not running down SCV. I'm merely pointing out a tendency in the stands to favor corps which haven't won for all sorts of reasons.

Funny thing is I do agree with the OP. I don't understand the front-runner mentality. One of its worst manifestations is when last year's winner or this year's favorite has four-deep lines around its souvie booth even though its shirts are anything but special. Meanwhile corps like Bluecoats and Glassmen turn out consistently wonderful shirts and souvies and seem to struggle for a crowd. I make it a point every year to buy a shirt from one corps well out of contention. It's part of a philosophy to support all the corps even though Cadets, Cavies, BD, Crown, Bluecoats, Phantom, SCV, Glassmen, Madison, BK, Colts, Blue Stars, Spirit, BAK, Academy, Mandarins, Crest and a few others are my favorite.

HH

Its sad, reading all this about some corps' fans NOT showing support for another corps, because of this reason "..........................................."

Folks.... the numbers of corps isnt like it was 20-30 years ago...... THERE IS NO ROOM FOR THIS MENTALITY AND LACK OF SUPPORT FOR

ALL CORPS.... PERIOD ! Makes me wonder were the adults are......... those in the STANDS.. or those on the FIELD !!!!

Next time you go to a show, be curtious and kind !! The young adults on the field in front of you work JUST AS HARD as "your kids"......

whatever your "issue" is with a corps, remember, "those particular kids" dont deserve to be rewarded with a lack of appreciation and respect.

Thanks !

Have a Great Summer !!!!

:devil: