Fairweather Fans

As this season starts up, and the basketball season just ended, I can't help escape these feelings about fairweather fans. It seems like everyone loves the teams that are winning, but we always seem to forget that there is everyone else around them. After the LA Lakers won last night, everyone turned into a fan, (except of course if you lived in Boston), but all of the neutral fans, or people with no stake in the sport all became fans for whoever won. If the Celtics had taken the title, everyone would have been Celtics fans. It just seems the way it goes, is that everyone likes winning, so they'll become fans of whoever wins until they go south, then it's on to the next team to win. How many people that follow basketball can safely say that they are a diehard Clippers fan, or Raptors, or Jazz? Please speak up if you're out there.

Speaking up.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking up.

Thank you Geoff. I knew someone out there had to be a Raptors fan, and would get the reference.

. . .I watch to be entertained, no matter who it is.

I've been left cold by BD/Cadets/Cavaliers,etc before and thought a group like, say, Tarheel Sun was awesome as hell, just because it entertained me. East Coast Jazz a few years ago versus some Div. I corps? No contest.

Some people are going to want to see the winners . . . some are going to want to analyze the scores. . . and some just come just to have a good time. Sure, we have "fairweather fans", but what competitive activity doesn't?

However, if there are folks out there new to the activity this season only at a show for a larger "name brand" corps . . .get there a little earlier and go watch some of the other units. You just might be surprised with what you see. :whistle:

I'm a fan of the activity in general as I think it is a life changing experience for anyone who participates, on any level. Of course I'm the biggest fan of my alumni corps, but I'd wager to guess that most people who have marched are the same. I'm naturally drawn to the top 12 World Class corps because, lets face it, their shows are the best and most entertaining every year. Does that mean that I don't respect the kids marching for mandarins or cascades or wherever, or that I don't think they work just as hard? Not in any way, but for my entertainment I'm going to the World Class corps every time.

i am diehard for no corps, i am diehard for certain shows.

last year my fave show was 5th.

aside from 2008, my fave show of the year hasn't won since 99, and that one tied

As this season starts up, and the basketball season just ended, I can't help escape these feelings about fairweather fans. It seems like everyone loves the teams that are winning, but we always seem to forget that there is everyone else around them. After the LA Lakers won last night, everyone turned into a fan, (except of course if you lived in Boston), but all of the neutral fans, or people with no stake in the sport all became fans for whoever won. If the Celtics had taken the title, everyone would have been Celtics fans. It just seems the way it goes, is that everyone likes winning, so they'll become fans of whoever wins until they go south, then it's on to the next team to win. How many people that follow basketball can safely say that they are a diehard Clippers fan, or Raptors, or Jazz? Please speak up if you're out there.

What I'm trying to say here, is to apply this to drum corps, and all of the "diehard fans" that there are, especially on here. Look at your top corps, Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavaliers, SCV, Crown. They're successful, and they have hordes of fans. Now, think about the lower corps, how many honks do you see on these boards for Mandarins, or PC, or Cascades. They don't really exist. I know that alumni make up a huge part of the honk crowd, but would we see the same kind of diehard support for the top corps if they weren't the top? If BD didn't have 13 championships, would people on this board get into lengthy arguments about how amazing they are, and how everyone who doesn't support them isn't right? if say, Cavaliers have a down year, and fall to 7th or 8th, would we see people start to bail on them?

When corps start to do well, everyone seems to jump on the bandwagon. When Cavies picked up this decade, hordes of people jumped on that bandwagon, but now we're starting to see that drop off since their last win in 2006. When Phantom won in 2008, everyone and their mother became Phans, and people still are ranking Spartacus as one of the best shows ever. Now we're seeing it with Crown. They've started making the climb up to the top, they medaled last year, so everyone was looking for their win this year, although the heat has cooled off on them with this new uniform announcement. But the newest example is Madison. When they were falling back, people were bailing from them faster than rats off a sinking ship. Now that they've established this new staff, and before the season even starts, people seem to be jumping on the Madison wagon, and claiming that great things are going to happen with them, and we'll see this stratospheric jump from them this season.

That's the end of my rant, just had to get that all out.

So guys, why do any of you think that this happens? Is it just human nature to only like what wins and is successful, or is it just a sign of the times, when if you don't win, no one wants you?

I am a die hard cavie fan. Always have been and always will be. I do not care about where they place its all about how much fun they are having. And if they don't have a good show one year (like last year) then I will admit it. But overall I am very open minded on each corps. BD for an example they had an amazing show in 06 (and I thought 07 was ok) and I didn't like 08 or 09 but does that mean I hate them? Of course not! And for scouts they are my third favorite group and I have been a loyal fan of them for a while. Me personally I do not care about what other people may say about my favorite groups what really matters is if you like them or not. Me I am lucky because I like every group! So I will be happy no matter what!

So guys, why do any of you think that this happens? Is it just human nature to only like what wins and is successful, or is it just a sign of the times, when if you don't win, no one wants you?

IMHO, human nature (being what it is), compells many people to follow the leader and cheer the victor if for no other reason, to allow people to feel like a winner and part of the pack. How many of the fair weather fans that you speak of have ever marched a drum corps show ? Look at the crap on TV these days. I'm amazed at the volume of people who watch reality shows. Why ? Is it becuase they don't experience enough excitement in their own real life that they must sit like zombies on their sofa to get any "feel" for what life is......or is it because they need to watch it simply to be able to hold a conversation with the other lemmings the next day ? No, not everyone is a zombie, but many are.

Keep in mind that a large portion of people in the seats have no idea why they like a certain corps or certain shows. Considering how many people in the seats are still in high school or, are somewhat new to the activity, I think they cheer what is most popular and to be accepted by their peers. ( and to be able to go back to their high school band room and wear the shirt/cap/jacket of a top corps. ) To many, it's just a social event for band nerds. ( I'm a band director just stating a fact) I love chatting with other local band directors after a show and calling them out on their BS.

"Hey Mike....wow, so & so was really something huh ?"

Really, how did you notice ? was it the applause or the score that gave you a clue ? :devil:

Other band directors who DID march corps seldom need to make comments " to be acknowledged"

No matter what the activity may be, a large portion of the fans will like something because it's the cool thing to do.

( just look at the number of women who feel it necessary to lift their shirts when they come to New Orleans for a 25 cent pair of beads.........)

How many people that follow basketball can safely say that they are a diehard Clippers fan, or Raptors, or Jazz? Please speak up if you're out there.

There's no such thing as a diehard Clippers fan.