Boston Crusaders 2010

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Tom L.'s?

You just made me :thumbup:

I only saw this show once, but loved all 11 minutes of it. Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini is, to me, one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written, and I was looking forward to this moment almost more than anything else. I was so not disappointed!!!! I spent two nights in Allentown soaking in all of the World Class corps in one weekend, and this, and a small handful of other moments from other corps, are what are still with me.

Thank you, BAC!

I should know my corps history....ESPECIALLY a corps a marched with...but I'm a little lacking on a few things.

Firstly, can someone tell me how "Conquest" for the corps originated? The only thing that I know is it was from "Captain from Castile" music, but don't know much more about the original roots. How did it evolved as the corps identity etc. Maybe I've just forgotten over the years...That is sad!...lol

From Bob Kennedy, BAC Historian. This question was asked back in May 08...

Tue May 20, 2008 7:16 am (PDT)

I will give you a little background on Conquest, it was from The Movie: Captain of Castile which debuted in Theaters January 1st 1947. It Starred Tyrone Powers, Cesar Romaro "The Joker" from the Batman series in the 60's & Lee J. Cobb. The Composer of Captain of Castile/Conquest was Alfred Newman.

Ed Dennon the Corps Brass Aranger in the 1960's was the one who introduced Conquest to the corps. The Boston Crusaders first used a version of The Musical Piece in thier 1969 & 1970 Seasons, in the begining and end of their shows. The Corps also used Conquest in their closer from 1973-1990. The Corps at the end of their show would come to a company front to the calls, then proceed to end their show with Conquest taking the company front up field toward the fans, this was a Crowds favorite, & fans could never get enough of Conquest. Fans in the stands would scream cry & always gave the Corps standing ovation after standing ovation till the corps left the Stadium into the parking lot!

The Corps again did a show of Captain of Castile & Conquest in the begining and end of thier 1998 Show.

Since 1999 the Corps uses the calls of Conguest in various parts of the Corps shows year after year. I am sure there are many out there who can add to this story of Conquest & I hope they will...

You can also research the Corps musical History at

http://www.corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?vie...orpstype=Junior

Bob Kennedy

Edited by TennTux

From Bob Kennedy, BAC Historian. This question was asked back in May 08...

Tue May 20, 2008 7:16 am (PDT)

I will give you a little background on Conquest, it was from The Movie: Captain of Castile which debuted in Theaters January 1st 1947. It Starred Tyrone Powers, Cesar Romaro "The Joker" from the Batman series in the 60's & Lee J. Cobb. The Composer of Captain of Castile/Conquest was Alfred Newman.

Ed Dennon the Corps Brass Aranger in the 1960's was the one who introduced Conquest to the corps. The Boston Crusaders first used a version of The Musical Piece in thier 1969 & 1970 Seasons, in the begining and end of their shows. The Corps also used Conquest in their closer from 1973-1990. The Corps at the end of their show would come to a company front to the calls, then proceed to end their show with Conquest taking the company front up field toward the fans, this was a Crowds favorite, & fans could never get enough of Conquest. Fans in the stands would scream cry & always gave the Corps standing ovation after standing ovation till the corps left the Stadium into the parking lot!

The Corps again did a show of Captain of Castile & Conquest in the begining and end of thier 1998 Show.

Since 1999 the Corps uses the calls of Conguest in various parts of the Corps shows year after year. I am sure there are many out there who can add to this story of Conquest & I hope they will...

You can also research the Corps musical History at

http://www.corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?vie...orpstype=Junior

Bob Kennedy

Thanks for this post. It now puts everything I've pretty much known and forgot also into perspective. I was very proud to be in BAC's hornline in 1990 having played "Conquest" as the closer. One of the things I remember most was the sheer amount of appreciation of the crowd after our performance. Thank you to all that were in the audience that year cheering us on as it sure meant a lot and I will NEVER forget it:)

This is perhaps a little off-topic...

Does anyone know where or how I might be able to convert my old corps tapes (VHS) into a DVD version?

As I write this, the final scores have not yet been announced, but several bloggers from the show say the corps was on fire tonight---WITH a few additional moments of Conquest. I have had the priviledge of getting to know many of this year's members, and I will tell anyone who will listen that they are "True-Blue Crusaders". I am proud of each and every one one of them. The only thing these kids and staff can control is their own performance, and watching them in competition (in person) a dozen times this summer, they have gotten it done. Our kids and staff CANNOT control the growth of other corps like Madison and Bluestars. They also cannot control what seems to me to be a DCI nostalgic soft spot for our friends from Santa Clara. I know that a few people here have lamented the scores----which have been stubbornly running about 2 points too low in my mind, but I would remind everyone that the reason why this organization is still around after 70 years is that we DON'T gava.....

Finally, as far as I am concerned, the 2010 Boston Crusaders have WON DCI this year. The mere presence of Waldo atop a throne denoting "70"on the field during finals after so many debacles over the years is proof enough for me. I only wish I could have gone to finals this year....to witness 150 of the best young men and women singing GIANT in the tunnel...and to know that beneath those uniforms were beating the hearts of 150 GIANTS.

Eat'em Up, Boston.

I find it interesting that you mention the nostalgic soft spot for SCV. I've thought that for many years now, but it just goes to show you what a real legacy the late great Gail Royer contributed and left for that corps and organization. :)

I also got very choked up hearing "Giant" on the fan network being sung by BAC. They are ALL winners out there, but unfortunately "the numbers" are the only measuring stick throughout the season. My greatest memory was excited crowd reaction. :) The numbers truly were just meaningless and in my reality unimportant.

CONQUEST!!!

Would you want Boston to play a complete version next year?

Edited by purenjoyment