Charleston, WV

Why do you bother Boxing Fred?

I agree. Do it right the first time, or don't do it. That's always good advice, imo.

I'm sure he'll either quit.. or suck it up and get it right the next time.

Either way.. we all win.

Last year at this time Phantom Regiment was a ahead of Blue Stars and Boston by over 5 points. They should have been in those early shows. There was no Guard judge. Blue Stars and Boston both had better Guards compared to Phantom last year. When the full judging panel was brought in, the true situation revealed itself.

What did we learn ? It all depends. We might have learned that when we don't have full judging panels, some captions are given more weight inthe overall score than they should have been given, especially when later on, one will find the situation dramatically changes when we have a full judging panel, and each caption is given t's proper distributive weight and proper consideration in the judged competition.

Right now we don't know anymore than we did last June at this time. As the scores and placements are indeed completely meaningless in the overall picture.

You have a point, but I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. Early season Phantom scores last year were a complete anomaly as the rest of the corps maintained their general relative scoring spreads throughout the season. And Phantom's downfall towards the end of the season was not entirely in the colorguard caption...... the other judges scored them much lower as well. I think their weird situation had more to do with the massive drill re-writes and lack of cleaning time before the end of the season.

1. The judges were cut from early season shows to save DCI money. (a good thing)

2. The whole point of judging early season shows is to help the corps become better.

3. If these shows were exhibition only, then maybe the corps would not have as much incentive to put out their best quality product from day 1. (not as enteratining for the audience)

4. The judges that are absent from early season shows are performance related.... so the things they would normally comment on, the staff probably already know needs to be fixed anyway.

So from these statements I deduce that the system we have now is a great compromise between giving the corps proper early season feedback, still providing competitive incentive, and saving the activity money.

What did the Guards learn tonite ?

I agree. Do it right the first time, or don't do it. That's always good advice, imo.

I'm sure he'll either quit.. or suck it up and get it right the next time.

Either way.. we all win.

when are you giving us play by play and scores? when you #### it up ill make sure im there.

What did the Guards learn tonite ?

I addressed that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Colorguard caption mostly based on performance? If so, then generally they already know what early season mistakes they are making. Yes a judge may help a little, but will be a much bigger help when their work becomes much more cleaned up in July. The things they may want to learn tonight could be addressed by the visual effect or visual ensemble judge. Things like design, staging, velocity, relation to the music are the things that staffs need to look at as soon as possible in the season and they could very much learn these things from the judges present.

I'm sorry BRASSO, you may not have been really "bent out of shape" in your mind, but you did blatantly insult one of our beloved drum corps fans by saying he lost all credibility, when he has generously gone out of his way all night to provide us with updates. :thumbup:

His updates were fine. I offered no ctiticism on his updates . I said he lost credibility on his posting of scores. If others here want to have trust in his initial typing of scores in the future fine, no problem. He messed up most of the scores. Not one... not two.... not three... most of them I suggested he wait and do it right the first time. We all make mistakes. I make a ton of them. I'll wait for DCI to post the scores in the future. They're meaningless until we have te future panel anyway. I thank Boxingfred for his updates, but if he decides not to share any more posting of scores for us in the future, I 'l shed no tears. And if he decides to overlook my criticism and continues to try and post scores in the future for others, and others want him to do so, I'll encourage him to continue hisefforts if he's so inclined. Either way, it's fine with me. I gave my thoughts, others had a chance to respond to that, and we move on.

What did we learn ? It all depends. We might have learned that when we don't have full judging panels, some captions are given more weight inthe overall score than they should have been given, especially when later on, one will find the situation dramatically changes when we have a full judging panel, and each caption is given t's proper distributive weight and proper consideration in the judged competition.

Right now we don't know anymore than we did last June at this time. As the scores and placements are indeed completely meaningless in the overall picture.

Why bother scoring early season shows ?

A) Fans like competition

B) Corps like competition

C) Corps get experience performing the show

D) Fans see shows evolve (assuming they get to later season shows)

E) Corps get valuable feedback from judges

As for your point about not all captions getting feedback: balderdash :) Corps staff don't need to hear about dirt early season because they know all about what's dirty and what's not. They need to find out what's working (and how well it works) or what's not working (and why not). While I'm sure everyone would prefer full panels, DCI is economizing. And the judges who *are* missing are not critical to big picture stuff.

Edited by corpsband