Charleston, WV

:thumbup: the classroom teacher analogy is ridiculous and isn't even close. A couple years ago they started having fewer judges at the early shows to save DCI money on transportation. This allowed the corps to still do their regular tours. The BOD (the corps) agreed that this was the best thing to do. It doesn't mean that the scores don't matter and that corps should or would ever think about bagging a show. And if you would tell your corps to do this because the scores don't matter yet, what kind of message are you sending? Well in the real world where people who care about the integrity of the activity are running corps, it doesn't happen.

I thought your idea of having no judges for a performance caption where you thought it was "ok " so long as there were 30-35 shows in 6 weeks and fans were seeing shows and Corps adults were making a buck, etc was a joke. But as I can see, you ( an some others ) are not joking. You ARE serious. You think it's fine.

Yea, um...that wasnt my idea. But go on....

it's WV man. give em a chance to find a good interweb hookup.

trust me, I've been there. Once you leave Charleston, you're looking at jeff Foxworthy jokes for miles in every direction

until you get to Huntington. :thumbup:

p.s. at least we can properly spell Jeff Foxworthy. :tongue:

Edited by DannyII

:thumbup: the classroom teacher analogy is ridiculous and isn't even close. A couple years ago they started having fewer judges at the early shows to save DCI money on transportation. This allowed the corps to still do their regular tours. The BOD (the corps) agreed that this was the best thing to do. It doesn't mean that the scores don't matter and that corps should or would ever think about bagging a show. And if you would tell your corps to do this because the scores don't matter yet, what kind of message are you sending? Well in the real world where people who care about the integrity of the activity are running corps, it doesn't happen.

Exactly...it's a compromise. Is it a perfect situation, no. Is it the best situation?...compared to the alternative of scrapping any show that cant afford a full panel, I think so.

Worst staff: Spirit. The staff guy who thinks he should climb to the pressbox at the 50 and be a cheerleader for the corps at the top of his lungs needs to act like he's been there before. Very unprofessional and it reflects on the corps.

Agree....I seriously have no idea what would cause a staff member to do this. And we see it constantly. Do they really think their students will perform any better with that going on? Sometimes I think staffers who behave that way are really just wanting to draw attention to themselves.

Trying to defend the indefensible is tough thing to do. But I 'll give you credit... you attempted it... and in a gallant way too.

Dropping judges in early season competition to save on gas," travel costs", etc is a lame excuse. Just hearing people utter that having an empty judges chair at early season shows is acceptable toward parents and their children that are paying thousands of dollars for the fundamental right to be properly judged in competition is just sooo unbelievably wrong on so many levels. I don't care if 5 or 500 people think it's acceptable. It's NOT acceptable. And DCI should limit the number of shows... cut back on other things.... Do WHATEVER it takes... but find a way to honor their founding and fundamental guiding principle of a uniform judging system standard in place for the short competitive 6 -7 week season. That's my position. if others disagree, that's certainly their right as well. No big deal.

Edited by BRASSO

Trying to defend the indefensible is tough thing to do. But I 'll give you credit... you attempted it... and in a gallant way too.

Dropping judges in early season competition to save on gas," travel costs", etc is a lame excuse. Just hearing people utter that having an empty judges chair at early season shows is acceptable toward parents and their children that are paying thousands of dollars for the fundamental right to be properly judged in competition is just sooo unbelievably wrong on so many levels. I don't care if 5 or 500 people think it's acceptable. It's NOT acceptable. And DCI should limit the number of shows... cut back on other things.... Do WHATEVER it takes... but find a way to honor their founding and fundamental guiding principle of a uniform judging system standard in plce for a short competitive 6 -7 week season. That's my position. if others disagree, that's certainly their right as well. No big deal.

You get outraged at the most ridiculous things. On a forum full of people looking for ridiculous things to be outraged about you might be the worst of the lot.

How cute - you made him seem foolish by calling his position "indefensible", as if by you stating that you somehow make it fact. It seems that you are the only one that finds this situation unnacceptable, which is fine I guess. I suppose you also think it unacceptable that we double the GE judges for the finals show....after all, if we are going to do it for the most important shows of the year, shouldnt it be good enough for the entire season. Perhaps you can ask these parents that are getting ripped off what would be more 'indefensible' to them - losing the (so-named) "fundamental right" of a consistent judging system throughout the corps season, which as far as I can tell, the vast majority of corps have already signed off on, OR would they be slightly more upset if, due to the added expense of having the required full 9 (or10 or 12) panel judge at a local show, the sponsors decided to cancel the show, and the parent's chance to see their child.

Is that an extreme, bordering on the slightly ridiculous example??....sure, but when you place yourself as the defender of the poor children and parents who spend all this money only to be judged by an imperfect system, there really is nowhere else to go. But go ahead and keep shouting...maybe someone will hear you :thumbup:

As for me, i've posted more in the past 24 hours then I had in the 3 months prior...i think its time for a break...