• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't seen the shows and probably won't this year. It's a long drive to...everywhere from here!

However, if Bucs are running out of gas with a minute left to go in the show, they will have to make some changes. An extra minute of endurance can't be made up, IMHO. It's too much to ask and if they don't make changes to make the show more doable, it will haunt them the entire season. You'll hear, "They were great, but had nothing at the end.", all season.

Mark my words, it's their Achilles heel. (I know that's Greek, not Roman mythology). But I'm betting their staff will be too pig headed to change the show and will insist the members make up that last minute of endurance. I'm betting it can't be done.

This may be the fall of Rome.

I like how after one show such predictions are being made Endurance increases as the season goes on. I know that it will get only harder you don’t go backwards and to call a staff pig headed who have lead a corp to 5 years of victory is asinine

Alex,

I think the INFERRED argument here (made by other people, not me) is that some people feel the Bucs are being given a greater benefit of the doubt by the judges than other corps, not that the product that the Bucs produce is too good. It's the reverse of the old "the judges hate us" complaint. I've been on both sides of the coin (judged band and indoor) and my personal experience is that the judges are far too focused on just putting down numbers and commentary to worry or care about that type of political BS. Also, with the experience I've had of marching in three seperate "heavy hitter" senior corps that are or were in the top 3, I can honestly say the judges in DCA are relatively fair. They aren't perfect, but they don't appear to favor one corps or another.

I agree but sometimes they overreact and make mistakes being human.

I like how after one show such predictions are being made Endurance increases as the season goes on. I know that it will get only harder you don’t go backwards and to call a staff pig headed who have lead a corp to 5 years of victory is asinine

I just said it was my opinion. I started in drum corps a very long time ago and stayed in it longer than most and I have even been on staff with a couple of corps.

The pig headed remark goes to the attitude most staffs have once they've made up their mind. Can't be the show, must be the performers.

I don't think anyone is immune to making mistakes and I'm pointing out a potentially fatal one for Bucs...is that asinine?

Endurance does increase as the season goes on, but that applies mostly to DCI corps on tour. Asking a DCA corps to make up a minute of endurance at the end of a show...THAT'S asiniine.

Endurance does increase as the season goes on, but that applies mostly to DCI corps on tour. Asking a DCA corps to make up a minute of endurance at the end of a show...THAT'S asiniine.

No its not.

They have been playing shows that are variations of Kershner's "Pictures of Spain" or "Malaguena" for the better part of the last four decades, maybe longer. (I don't go back farther than that.) It's been done MANY times, including the last two years. I will admit the closer was much more contemporary sounding. Kinda like an Arturo Sandoval chart. (I liked that part of last year's show too.)

Hmm let's see the years that Cabs have played Pictures of Spain or Malaguena in the last 4 decades

2008(M), 2002(P), 1996(M), 1995(M), 1994(P), 1991(P), 1990(M), 1985(M), 1984(M), 1981(M), 1980(M).

So in the last 40 years both of those songs have been played a total of 11 times (or 27.5% of the time) In the last 10 years, its been done twice (pictures once and Malaguena once). In the time you've mentioned they also played non latin stuff mixed in such as the 1812 overture, Sabre Dance, Night on Bald Mountain etc.

Sure if this were 1997 I'd probably agree with you, that (Malaguena especially) was overplayed by the Cabs in recent memory. However (like it or not) if you want the Cabs to play Egyptian Music, or West Side Story you're going to get years like they had in 2005 (scores and support in the crapper) and 1993 (the one year uniform change) respectively. One could make the argument against a number of certain corps who have overplayed certain charts through the years (Bucs Russian Sailors Dance, Hurcs Mag 7, Empire My Way, Sky New York New York etc.) but no one mentions them, it's always Cabs who get the ****, ****, **** same old **** **** **** same old ****, treatment.

I applaud the Cabs for doing something VERY outside the box for them, with the exception of the Rumps (which again I think plays into their identity theme).

Again I'm not promoting the Cabs should have won, I have NEVER said that. What I am saying is that the idea that a show about the identity of a corps, who has always played Latin music is NOT going to be Latin, is completely ludicrous.

As someone else said, PLEASE get back to the reviews so that I don't think I'm crazy and saw something that no one else saw!

What ever happened to the days when moderators would close threads when they strayed off topic. This was about a review of the Wildwood show. After the first page, it stopped being about that.

Good point Joe :thumbup:

Funny thing is, it seems that one of the catalysts for forming DCA, among other considerations as well, is that the Caballeros simply wouldn't stop winning the AL championship. Cabs won '51, '53, '54, and then a 7 year streak from '58-'64. DCA was formed in '65? And the Cabs weren't there the first year.

History seems to suggest that when a corps keeps winning every single year, people want a change. I can't imagine that there was no anti-Caballero sentiment anywhere in the founding of DCA.

Which is not to say that DCA is an anti-Caballero organization at all, although there are certainly some dubious Finals results in the 90s.

I think it's naïve so say that the Bucs are ruining DCA; however, it may be equally naïve to say that one corps going undefeated for more than half a decade doesn't cause any discontent or a feeling of malaise in the people that aren't winning.

If people hate losing so much, they need to rehearse harder, rehearse smarter, design better, execute better, and recruit better.

Those things are why bucs are winning on the field.

They are best prepared off of it. Just like the other "Dynasties" of the past.

If people hate losing so much, they need to rehearse harder, rehearse smarter, design better, execute better, and recruit better.

Those things are why bucs are winning on the field.

They are best prepared off of it. Just like the other "Dynasties" of the past.

Seems like cabs did all of those things and were the closest ive seen anyone to bucs over the last 6 years and they were 5 points behind... something is out of place here