I dont think even the Brigs got what Bucs are getting IMO, and that's with all of the bingo jokes made

I would be agreeing with you if what started this was people just sick of Bucs winning.. but if you were at that show you'd see that this scoring gap might be the most outrageous in the history of DCA... When you expect the scores to come in close and possibly go either way and than have someone win by 5 points it is an absolute shock.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say any corps to win 5 (and as everone keeps saying 6) in a row would get to be annoying, boring and old. Not knowing who is going to win is what makes this activity fun (for me anyway). Making prediction threads for the DCA side of things is lame because its always "who will take second?"

I would completely disagree with this statement, and I think a lot of other DCA fans would too. I go to DCA shows because I like experiencing the corps' performances, whther they take 1st, 2nd or whatever. I used to be in drum corps way back when, so I know what it takes for these weekend warriors to do what they do. When you have a corps like the Bucs, I'm even more amazed at what they accomplish on a weekend only schedule.

I'm one of those not so rare drum corps fans that likes both DCI and DCA (and some of the Alumni scene as well). I know from reading DCP you would think there weren't very many of us cross-circuit fans, but I think only the people that feel strongly about DCI or DCA bother to get involved with these shenanigins. (Kinda like politics, eh?)

Bucs probably didn't really win by 5, but IMO they clearly were the winner at Wildwood, so OK, maybe it should of been 3.5 or something like that. Who really can say for sure. Isn't that why they hire judges? Cabs were strong, but it all seemed a little too familiar (Kinda strange considering they are playing an original show!?!) Bush was "unusual" as usual. I bet they will make a run for the Top 6 if the fill out the corps. Fusion was probably the surprise of the night - Best early season show from them to date by far.

Edited by Kyoti

I would completely disagree with this statement, and I think a lot of other DCA fans would too. I go to DCA shows because I like experiencing the corps' performances, whther they take 1st, 2nd or whatever. I used to be in drum corps way back when, so I know what it takes for these weekend warriors to do what they do. When you have a corps like the Bucs, I'm even more amazed at what they accomplish on a weekend only schedule.

Competition is why I like the activity. Sure, I go because I like to watch the shows and be entertained. But just like sports, the fight to win is what I like most.

Again, I disagree (thats why we are friends), I think memories are short (like me beat ya to it). However, you did say IMO - so IMO ewww not so much........

even going back to RAMD, as DCP came about in the end of the Brigs run, after the "summer of Love" in 97, I don't remember that much complaining

I would be agreeing with you if what started this was people just sick of Bucs winning.. but if you were at that show you'd see that this scoring gap might be the most outrageous in the history of DCA... When you expect the scores to come in close and possibly go either way and than have someone win by 5 points it is an absolute shock.

oh I agree with you...the issue people that WERE NOT at the show chiming in.

I've talked to many people that were there of all affiliations or no affiliations at all, and they ALL said the spread was too high.

across the board to a person.

and the funny thing is, everyone I talked to that is in a corps 5 or more points back said "oh well, next weekend".

seems like the performers are less bent out of shape than the DCP armchair QB's

Theres also show dynamics to consider. I know people have a hard time wrapping their mind around that process But it does exsist. In a nut shell, if today it were the same corps then add in lets say 3 or 4 more the gaps would be alot closer to anyone thats in 1st.

Show dynamics can dictatate that upper # or the 1st # given out

Cabs were strong, but it all seemed a little too familiar (Kinda strange considering they are playing an original show!?!) Bush was "unusual" as usual. I bet they will make a run for the Top 6 if the fill out the corps. Fusion was probably the surprise of the night - Best early season show from them to date by far.

Besides a few "Rump" quotes (which since the show is apparently about finding an identity would make sense) what did you say is too familiar?

Does this mean that Bucs shouldn't be playing Classical music, or they shouldn't be playing Phantom's 08 Ballad (sounds pretty familiar to me). Or how about Empire, maybe they shouldn't bring out the American flag and fire extinguishers. Heaven forbid the Renegades don't play something dark. If a corps choice of music dooms them before it even starts then why even bother performing in the first place. To be honest this is probably the most closed minded statement I've seen posted here.

even going back to RAMD, as DCP came about in the end of the Brigs run, after the "summer of Love" in 97, I don't remember that much complaining

I know, no one EVER complained about the "best corps money can buy."

I know, no one EVER complained about the "best corps money can buy."

not like we've seen the last 2 years. at least no one is saying the Bucs buy their members ( and for the record, brigs asked me to march, but never offered me cash. ######## :smile: )

Besides a few "Rump" quotes (which since the show is apparently about finding an identity would make sense) what did you say is too familiar?

They have been playing shows that are variations of Kershner's "Pictures of Spain" or "Malaguena" for the better part of the last four decades, maybe longer. (I don't go back farther than that.) It's been done MANY times, including the last two years. I will admit the closer was much more contemporary sounding. Kinda like an Arturo Sandoval chart. (I liked that part of last year's show too.)

Does this mean that Bucs shouldn't be playing Classical music, or they shouldn't be playing Phantom's 08 Ballad (sounds pretty familiar to me).

No, they should continue. It seems to really be working well for them. :smile: I have enjoyed their shows for the last 10 years or so. (Even when they weren't ruining DCA!)

Or how about Empire, maybe they shouldn't bring out the American flag and fire extinguishers.

Most corps have an American Flag section, and I have no problem with Patriotic music in a show, although I think a whole show of it gets boring. IMHO, they could do without the fire extinguishers and the signs telling you what is going on.

If a corps choice of music dooms them before it even starts then why even bother performing in the first place. To be honest this is probably the most closed minded statement I've seen posted here.

Well, what can I say, the Nose Knows. I doubt my opinion dooms any corps. If it does, then they were doomed anyway.