Enjoy it while you can Dave. It's not going to get better because it is all subjective now.

It was always subjective..........

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not making any comments about Saturday night or any of the corps involved so feel free to flame me, but I said nothing other than make a reference to history that is similar to things happening in recent years.

WE LIKE DONKEYS LA LA LA!!!!!!

I love you Dave. :)

If I was to read this thread and not have gone to the show I would wonder why I would bother paying money to attend any show this season. Fortunately I was there and plan on being at many others this season. While I disagree with the scores, throwing the baby out with the bath water seems incredibly stupid at this point of time. No one has put up the white flag and said they are done for the season. ANYTHING could still happen.

I'm totally uneducated on DCA's judging policies, but from what I've seen personally, DCA tends not to move anyone from last year's placement until everyone is out. Tends to be a trend every year... no one moves placements until around the beginning of July. Could be a coincidence, but just seems to be the case from my personal experience.

I dont know how that is possible. Not all corps get scores from DCA. Kilts, MBI, Gades, Govies, Dream... all get DCI judges for the first half of the season. I highly doubt DCI judges even care about DCA and I doubt they make sure those corps get a score that reflects last seasons placement. Looking into this more... take MN for example, they took second last season, roughly 1.5 from first. I dont believe they will come out with a 79.0 (1.5 from bucs current score) on the first show with a panel of DCI judges. To say that judges put corps where they were last year just doesnt work under the current system in place.

Also, I said the "bucs ruining DCA" (quoted from someone else) in a reply to someone about everyone getting sick of the bucs winning. In context it made my point. I was not the one to say bucs are ruining DCA, I just see that pov. and it is starting to become aparent. Nobodys fault, it just happens to be the case.

We are no longer living in the days (sadly) of the tic system and it is the substance which creates the scores. Under any scoring system - opinions on the results will differ.

As to the comments about Bucs killing DCA by being so dominant - taken at face value is a laughable statement, but perhaps the originator of the statement didn't mean it exactly in the way it was taken. I read it as a statement that since no other corp stands a chance to win it all - why bother. Over the past few decades we've see the number of excellent senior corps shrink. We just lost kingpins such as Cru, Brig and Sky. With perhaps only 3-4 real contenders - can DCA survive ? We've seen DCI change the landscape of the Juniors and what once was hundreds of corps, we are down to perhaps two dozen quality corps in total and now the 'brilliant' ones have a plan for the 'elite' 8 corps or so to breakoff a bit and have their own shows. Obviously the likes of Hopkins is looking to have a BLAST type show and let DCI fend for itself - it could mean the end to the activity as we know it. Who knows.

you are running your corps soley for the scores, your corps is doomed to fail ( not saying the corps listed did)

No, no. This statement is laughable simply because it's easy to throw out there without any solutions. So what action do you suggest DCA should take to Bucs from "ruining" DCA? Disqualify the Bucs? Give the other corps handicaps? Institute a membership draft? It's ridiculous, dude.

As Jeff Ream would say, the corps with the highest score wins, and it's just so happened that Bucs have gotten the highest score for a while. If another corps would like to take that away, then all they have to do is get a higher score.

Please continue with your regularly programmed conspiracy theories.

here's a question that really may see a flamesuit needed:

did we see all this boohooing when Brigs were on their run? or Bush/Sun?

now I know some may call me a Bucs homer, and yes I have friends there ( and everywhere else in DCA)....but it seems that Bucs, especially due to their style of shows, seem to be taking the heat here.

if it were Empire or Cabs on this run, I'll gladly wager and win 75% of the comments made wouldn't be happening.

and please feel free to disagree. The posting styles of many of those complaining bear me out

Jeff, if you're referring to 2000 and 2001. In looking at the scores that year, we started 2000 1 point behind Cabs and 2 points behind Brigs. Cabs and Brigs both ended up besting us at finals in 2000. In 2001 we started 1 point behind Cabs and 2 points behind Brigs. So I guess maybe I'm not understanding what you mean.

but if it were based off of 99 scores in 2000, we would have been right up Brigs ### and beating Cabs with room, as well as Empire...who if i recall, we didn't get til finals.

Enjoy it while you can Dave. It's not going to get better because it is all subjective now. Add that to the "homogenization" of musical opinion and you have an entirely predictable and boring result.

the tic was just as subjective as what yoiu have now, they're just open about it.

here's a question that really may see a flamesuit needed:

did we see all this boohooing when Brigs were on their run? or Bush/Sun?

now I know some may call me a Bucs homer, and yes I have friends there ( and everywhere else in DCA)....but it seems that Bucs, especially due to their style of shows, seem to be taking the heat here.

if it were Empire or Cabs on this run, I'll gladly wager and win 75% of the comments made wouldn't be happening.

and please feel free to disagree. The posting styles of many of those complaining bear me out

I would say any corps to win 5 (and as everone keeps saying 6) in a row would get to be annoying, boring and old. Not knowing who is going to win is what makes this activity fun (for me anyway). Making prediction threads for the DCA side of things is lame because its always "who will take second?"

I dont know how that is possible. Not all corps get scores from DCA. Kilts, MBI, Gades, Govies, Dream... all get DCI judges for the first half of the season. I highly doubt DCI judges even care about DCA and I doubt they make sure those corps get a score that reflects last seasons placement. Looking into this more... take MN for example, they took second last season, roughly 1.5 from first. I dont believe they will come out with a 79.0 (1.5 from bucs current score) on the first show with a panel of DCI judges. To say that judges put corps where they were last year just doesnt work under the current system in place.

Also, I said the "bucs ruining DCA" (quoted from someone else) in a reply to someone about everyone getting sick of the bucs winning. In context it made my point. I was not the one to say bucs are ruining DCA, I just see that pov. and it is starting to become aparent. Nobodys fault, it just happens to be the case.

are you aware that DCA and DCI share several judges?