A problem With Holes

Since I'm one of those people euponitone knows and referenced, here's what happened to me. I spent the whole summer before auditions running and practicing baritone (more than I practiced clarinet, which is my principal instrument for my major). Unfortunately, that fall semester, I got too busy to keep working out and practicing as much, and I ended up going to the audition really under-prepared. I was in the third tier of auditionees, and while I won't say I was "cut", because they didn't explicitly tell me NOT to come back, I cut myself and didn't go back on my own. I also didn't audition anywhere else, and I didn't audition the next year (for a lot of excuses that I regret). Poor decision in hindsight, but hindsight's 20/20.

ANYWAY.

I'd say that both of your theories applied to me. The Cadets were the first corps I saw on video and live. I love them. I don't always love what they're doing, but I love them, and I wanted to be a Cadet so badly. I know I could have gone to Surf, or even Buccs, and gotten a quality experience. However, I knew that I wouldn't be 100% there, and that's a lot of time, money, and effort to put forth for something you can't be "in" 100%. Just couldn't find it in my heart or mind to do it. I also didn't want to go to a corps with the solitary purpose of "Hey, I need more experience so I can march with the Cadets". I didn't think that would be fair. Now that I'm a year too old to march DCI, I know I'm going to march Buccs at some point, but it just wasn't something I wanted a few years ago.

Can't speak for everyone else with a similar situation, but that's my story.

Very interesting insight. Thank you!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread illuminates part of how going to 150 contributed to an uneven playing field for WC. The top corps are sure to fill their ranks first, and are most likely to put a full 150 on the field, and as you go down you gradually see a decrease in membership. The lower tier corps are not only forced to compete in a division that is fairly top heavy from a talent standpoint, but in addition they have to try and make up for the lost GE created by a corps with 115 members being compared to a corps with 150 and a bigger sound and look all around.

Edited by BozzlyB

I share your concern for group 2....but if people are willing to pay for the education, what's wrong with the group 3 approach? Corps are in the education business, and if they are honest about the service they are providing and kids (or their parents) are willing to pay for it, the program is a win-win.

To me, and this is just my opinion, the education one would receive in the rigors of tour with an excellent educational staff of a different corps would be as much if not more beneficial than just attending camps at a top tier corps. This would apply to both group 2 and group 3. Unless, of course, it is your belief that the educational staff of those non top tier corps are not good educators.

Edited by Stu

This thread illuminates part of how going to 150 contributed to an uneven playing field for WC. The top corps are sure to fill their ranks first, and are most likely to put a full 150 on the field, and as you go down you gradually see a decrease in membership. The lower tier corps are not only forced to compete in a division that is fairly top heavy from a talent standpoint, but in addition they have to try and make up for the lost GE created by a corps with 115 members being compared to a corps with 150 and a bigger sound and look all around.

True!

i'm more worried why after a month of spring training, corps don't have endings on the field yet

I echo your concern; but that is probably a different topic unless people filling holes during spring training slows down the show learning process.

Edited by Stu

Basically, what I have a problem with is that when people say that the top tier corps are looking for the best of the best. I can understand any corps, or any kind of group for that matter (sports, music, etc.), wanting to be the best in their activity, and only wanting the best people for the job. But isn't drum corps, marching band, football, baseball, or anything along those lines suppose to be a learning activity. Isn't the point trying to become better and actually teach? I'm not saying this is really the case, but are staff members of the top tier corps too lazy to teach marching members who are the "best of the best" and try and help them become the "best of the best"?

That certainly should be the ideal to strive for. That's what drum corps was years ago.

It was a participatory activity and a learning activity where someone could learn and improve and have a great experience.

And, you know what, there were just as many people in the stands as there are now, maybe even more.

Somewhere along the way, that was lost.

I also believe that going to 150 members was a bad idea.

Edited by barigirl78

One thing I believe many people here are forgetting is that of those 700 who show up 350 just wanted to say they auditioned. Another 200 just wanted to see where they would rank. Unfortunately the game has changed. The branding has changed. Many HS and College kids are ok these days with saying 'I auditioned for corps X, yeah I didnt make it but whatever' in place of actually having to work [and pay] hard all summer. These are the same kids who get refered to another corps and turn down the opportunity. Likewise there is another good size chunk who love the idea of drum corps but when faced with the realities or pushing yourself, being held accountable, be depended on by others, being without ac for most of the summer, holding a heavy horn, etc. bag out.

Those who show up to camp and want to march usually find a way to march. I marched in a bari line that cycled through 35 ppl. 35 individuals who said 'Yes I'd love to!', who put down money and showed up, but for some reason or another did not decided they couldn't do do. Now I am speaking in generalities. There are those cases when family, or school, or work issues arise, dont get me wrong been there done that spent the summer pining for the smell of valve oil and sweat and sunscreen.

The other matter I would like to remind dcp about is what the US Military is calling a threat to national security;childhood obesity obesity. Drum corps is tough, and not as many kids who are fit mentally and physically are coming up through the music programs. Some opt into band as a way to get out of taking PE courses, I've seen in OK the trend is moving towards having smaller marching bands that are optional so those who don't want to march can do fall symphonic or jazz band.

Oh and of course I must admit the generation I grew up in was the instant gratification generation. I want it now. I get it now. When you tell me I have to work for nearly 9 months on one thing and I have to pay to do it, I better believe that one thing is a golden likeness of myself. The generations that came after me, well, they're already doomed. Though I am a child of the 90's I'll state 'Kids these days! with there interwebs! and there gamesquares! and there microwave dinners! and there mepods!'

150 members + total summer commitment + cost of dues + the cost of college + poor economy + flakes + injuries + poor moral fiber = holes.

By far one of my favorite answers.

i'm more worried why after a month of spring training, corps don't have endings on the field yet

I used to get tetchy about that too, but I've mellowed on the point. There are so many charts to learn now, and so many factors that can't be predicted (mostly having to do with weather), that as long as they're CLOSE to having the drill complete by opening weekend, I give it a pass and focus on the show music.

Edited by mobrien

That certainly should be the ideal to strive for. That's what drum corps was years ago.

It was a participatory activity and a learning activity where someone could learn and improve and have a great experience.

And, you know what, there were just as many people in the stands as there are now, maybe even more.

Somewhere along the way, that was lost.

To me it is cultural shift concerning competition that has gone pear shaped. Competition has always been a part of our culture; it is what drives individuals and groups to excel in both drum corps and sports. And it has been a good thing for the fans as well as the performers over they years. But here is where the view toward competition has changed.

Not long ago you would ask a kid who wanted to play football who he wanted to play for when he grew up; the answer would be something like The Cleveland Browns because they are my favorite team and Bernie Kosar is my favorite player. Now, ask most kids who they want to play for and they will most likely respond with one of the recent Super Bowl Champions because they only want to play for a winner.

This also applies to why youth musicians only want to perform with BD, Cadets, SCV, The Cavaliers, or Regiment. They want to be associated with winners, not associated with perceived losers. Crown is likely to win soon; so many now flock to their auditions. Bluecoats are on the verge of possibly winning; so the same with them. While it is true that Regiment for the most part has been qualitative in competition each year, and that is what has made them great, pre 1996 performers tried out for Regiment out of love for what they did on the field, not for any medals they had won. This cultural shift, I think, is what is also driving the elitism not only in the directors of those corps, but in those who want to audition for drum corps; and therefore possibly creating a situation where many corps cannot fill their ranks each year.

Is this or is this not now considered Marching Music's Major League? I mean how can you tell a kid who is auditioning for a World Class winner, and gets cut, to then turn around and go audition for another corps, which we all know is not going to win, so that he/she can get a good educational experience? That is rather incongruent to me and may be a reason why lower corps have many holes.

Edited by Stu

I used to get tetchy about that too, but I've mellowed on the point. There are so many charts to learn now, and so many factors that can't be predicted (mostly having to do with weather), that as long as they're CLOSE to having the drill complete by opening weekend, I give it a pass and focus on the show music.

it may be a seperate thread as said before, but other than weather, I see no excuse to not have 2 minutes on the field.